Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:27 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,830,771 times

Advertisements

I don't personally harbor I'll will toward gays. But if you were to ask me to vote to make the union of two guys or two girls equal to man and woman, I would not do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 AM

695 posts, read 1,373,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Personally, I haven't seen anyone do that where I am.

There will always be "in your face" people of all orientations, races, etc. Don't know how to fix that one. I don't want to, since they have a right to be "in your face" as long as they're not hurting anyone in the process.

What behavior in particular? Pride parades? I've never been to one. But I'm not about to try to infringe upon someone's right to express himself simply because I think it's fostering a negative image and it isn't helping my particular agenda. I might criticize it, but in the end, it's the person's right.
Look on this forum.

Tell me how many "gay threads" there are, in relationship to anything else being talked about.

Virtually EVERYTHING on this forum either starts out as, or turns into, a gay chat thing.

Is there NOTHING ELSE you're interested in discussing? For me, there are a LOT of other things.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:29 AM

695 posts, read 1,373,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I guess it works both ways, personally I'm sick to death of the constant in your face behavior of heterosexuals...I just can't seem to escape it, it is everywhere!
Yeah, I see it EVERYWHERE on this forum.

Nice attempted diversion.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,038,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Yeah, I see it EVERYWHERE on this forum.

Nice attempted diversion.
How many of these gay threads were started by heterosexuals...?

Nobody is forcing you to read anything you are not interested in.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,176,206 times
negative behavior produces negative attiitudes.
cause & effect

Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 AM

73 posts, read 132,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
negative behavior produces negative attiitudes.
cause & effect
That's right. Like Newton says: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Gays cannot continue in-your-face activism and disdain for their neighbors' opinions and votes and not expect some sort of fair reaction.

Perhaps if some the the high profile negative Gay activists weren't so filled with bigotry and hate and intolerance for their neighbors' thoughts and natural instincts, there could be better dialogue.

It's up to the LGBT community to stop its hate campaigns.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,123,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Look on this forum.

Tell me how many "gay threads" there are, in relationship to anything else being talked about.

Virtually EVERYTHING on this forum either starts out as, or turns into, a gay chat thing.

Is there NOTHING ELSE you're interested in discussing? For me, there are a LOT of other things.
Again, I think this is due to the passing of Prop 8 and other related legislation. The explosion of threads of that nature happened right after the election. I'm probably not going to be finished with it until I die, I suspect, which is really unfortunate. But that's the way it is.

Is there nothing else I'm interested in discussing? Sure there are other things. Many of them are more difficult to discuss. I'm almost sure to get too emotional discussing abortion and capital punishment, for example.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:45 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,123,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleespresso View Post
Gays cannot continue in-your-face activism and disdain for their neighbors' opinions and votes and not expect some sort of fair reaction.
So I can decide that other people shouldn't be able to get married, and I should not expect criticism for deciding what's right for other people?

Quote:
Perhaps if some the the high profile negative Gay activists weren't so filled with bigotry and hate and intolerance for their neighbors' thoughts and natural instincts, there could be better dialogue.
Who are these high profile gay activists?

Quote:
It's up to the LGBT community to stop its hate campaigns.
Uh, no. Any given community can't control everyone. Or do all Christians want to take responsibility for the Westboro Baptist Church?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,572,857 times
Prejudice born out of ignorance, fear and cultural bias instilled into us from birth by an intolerant society which presumes to tell people how to live their lives .

Fear of the "other" and a desire to conform instils a fear in people of those who do not fit the mould some of us want to fit into so neatly.

Bigotry and intolerance are never smart in my experience and always lead to other rather unsavoury character defects.

Since the dawn of time we have been "herd" animals ( safety in numbers) and anyone who is not seen to be with us is often seen to be against. We cannot accept that some people just are not like us and do not have to be.

We fear what we do not understand or know properly and our gut reaction is usually one of aggressive and defensive behaviour. Sad and a bit pathetic but I guess human nature often wins out against logic, reason, common sense , empathy and tolerance.

I feel sorry for homophobic people because at the end of the day they miss out on some great relationships with people who despite their differences have far more in common with them than some would like to believe.

Gay people are not freaks, they are not the enemies and nor are they the harbingers of moral destruction and "unleashers" of moral turpitude and degradation. They are people , to be judged on their own merits not their sexuality. They bleed the same, love the same, grieve the same , feel the same. Both Gay and Heterosexuals belong to the human race a fact some posters really seem to have a problem adjusting to.

Love should be celebrated in all its varied and glorious shades . We live in a world hell-bent on hatred and destruction and I would much rather see two people in love regardless of sex than two people being hateful and violent to each other.

As for the "in your face" activism, Gay people have had to fight for their rights not to be socially excluded, denied, and vilified so I think I can take a few parades and Rainbow flags for a while. I am sure once all the bigotry dies and all this intolerance is history that Gay people will end up as "invisible"as we are ( mind you I think Heteros also do flaunt their sexuality a lot, anyone turned on TV lately or gone to a bar ???) and fade into the peaceful obscurity most human beings are satisfied with.

Women had to flaunt their activism as did Black people to achieve some modicum of equality , nothing different about being Gay at all. If you have to fight to be heard then you just ensure that you shout pretty loud because the bigots seem pretty deaf to the cries of those they refuse to hear...

Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,525,202 times
Quote:
That's right. Like Newton says: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

If in your face means fighting for their rights, then them let have at it.

Quote:
Perhaps if people weren't so vocal about their disdain about gays & would realize that they are people just like you & me & therefore deserve the same respect, there would be better dialogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies