Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no, I am pointing out the fact gentrification isn't always a good thing and that people suffer. someone was bragging about tearing down old crappy things and putting up high cost condos. it's good for some, and bad for others. I really don't think it's something to brag about. it is also a reason for a lot of the unrest between the two communities. it was blacks and hispanics that played the big part in the cali vote. because you don't like the truth, doesn't mean that it isn't the truth.
There were cultural reasons for the black and Hispanic votes in California; it wasn't about gentrification, or even "tension" between gays and blacks or gays and Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I guess our gay district is doing OK....He keeps his yard clean,vehicles washed and his place looks nice and well kept and when I last saw him in the Post Office he seemed to be doing well.
Aww.. So you're saying that your town has one gay person?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
that's called gentrification. no wonder black people hate gays.
Yeah, damn those gays for cleaning up what others have left to rot and decay.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:54 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think 'gay districts' would be much like wanting black districts or hispanic districts or any other sort of districts that doesn't blend people together.....but separates them. Wouldn't the concept be sort of going backwards?

They all exist, but at the end of the day, total acceptance is everyone coexisting.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think 'gay districts' would be much like wanting black districts or hispanic districts or any other sort of districts that doesn't blend people together.....but separates them. Wouldn't the concept be sort of going backwards?

They all exist, but at the end of the day, total acceptance is everyone coexisting.
I think that gays may really have a need for a gay-identified neighborhood. It sure makes it easier to meet other gay people.

One of the drawbacks to gay integration is that it makes gays less visible as a group. If you're single and trying to meet someone else who is gay, you then have to make a special effort to find other gays. When you live in a gay-identified neighborhood, it's nice to know that you'll come across other gay people in everyday life (at the grocery store, etc.) without making a special effort.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

Indeed, but the sad reality is, for many gays it's just easier to move somewhere where they can be completely comfortable -- which means moving to an area with lots of gays. My city doesn't have a "gay" area per se, but more gays can defintely be found in the downtown core and historic neighborhood area than out in the more "family" areas that people move to when they want good schools.

I think it's weird to "desire" a gay area in your city... but I think as with anything, people overall feel more comfortable amongst people like them. As the barriers of "difference" drop away, THEN people intergrate more.

Take a look at white people for example. Used to be they segregated themselves based on ethnicity... now, whites rarely see or care about their differences based on ethnicity or religion. Around where I'm from, there's a distinction in the American black and Haitian communities.... but maybe someday the "differentness" will fall away.

As for gays, there was a recent study I read that showed more people found living next to a homosexual couple less desireable than living next to someone from a different race. There's therefore a loooong way to go!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
As you can tell I'm from Omaha, we have no gay district, but maybe someday we will. I'd like to hear from gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders from across the country. How is your gay district? Does it provide the business services your gay community needs? Do you think its missing something? If so, what? Does it have too much of any services? Does it strengthen the sense of community in your gay community?

This is a broad question, so any input will do. Of course, all the haters and bigots can avoid this thread, just hit your ignore button, the world will appreciate it!
In Tampa, like many other cities, gays have moved into less than desirable areas way before the trend. They have rehabbed homes, and brought the community back. Seminole Heights is a good example of that. As are parts of Hyde Park, which was rather checkboard until the last decade or so.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:43 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
jmarquise, your theory about Dallas Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs gentrification displacing blacks (and causing them to hate gays) is just plain wrong. That was never a black area. It's still pretty eclectic as far as races and prices. Not all the old stuff has been torn down. There are gay bars also scattered out in other places and other establishments that have large gay crowds. A lot of gay couples settle in North Oak Cliff - Stevens Park/Kessler Park/Bishop Arts District. We also have many gay couples and singles in East Dallas/Lakewood.

Central Dallas is very gay-friendly. I would not be surprised to see Laura Bush with her gay friends out somewhere once she moves back to town!

Old 11-26-2008, 02:58 PM

41 posts, read 101,509 times
Ain't got one thankfully.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
So where do the closet queens (usually married to the opposite sex) go for fun late at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies