Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I am also a recovering alcoholic closing in on 23 years sobriety who was also cross-addicted (17 years of street drugs).

I was in business just before I checked into detox, and that last year I drove 30,000 miles so drunk that I had to close one eye to get the double vision to go away so I could aim down the line. The last six months I drank I killed a half gallon of Evan Williams 90 proof bourbon every day, and I could not stop. I had to drink to keep the shakes and the DTs away.

When my son was five days old I drank all but 1/2 inch of a half gallon between 4:30 and 10:00 in the morning, and I couldn't quit shaking. I knew that I was either going to get help or die, and I gave up.

I don't blame anyone but myself for anything that happened to me. I never hurt anyone when I drove, and that as well as my continued recovery is by the Grace of God. If I had, I would have expected to be prosecuted. The victims would not have been the ones at fault, nor the alcohol. I was the one out of control, even though as a full-blown addict I could not have quit on my own. The results of my actions were and are my responsibility.

Now, every morning I have a choice: to drink, or not to drink. As long as I choose not to drink, I'm OK. If I were ever to get up and choose to drink, the drink would take away my choice and I would be addicted again and pick up where I left off in 1986. I don't intend to try again. All I had left when I got out of detox were my wife and three children and a house with 20 years left on the mortgage, and I was, am and will die the luckiest and the richest man alive. The next time I might not be so lucky.
Congratulations on the 23 years of sobriety. I know kicking that addiction wasn't easy and I admire people who presevere through temptation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 02:09 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
OK, how many people does it take to say the same damn thing to get through to some of these people???

Smoking indoors whether it flares someone's allergies or not is harmful and deadly. Molecules containing numerous amounts of poisons are inhaled into your lungs in the form of tar. Those molecules can cause bacterial infections in the lungs (bronchitis) which in turn can cause scar tissue in the lungs which permanently closes off the tiny air sacs where oxygen is absorbed in the blood stream. When that happens too much, you have emphasema, and it is deadly.
So, while a smoker has the right to smoke, they do not have the right to smoke EVERYWHERE THEY CHOOSE, because it is scientifically proven that indoor cigarette smoke is MUCH more harmful than what you might happen to inhale from someone's tail pipe or any other stupid argument you want to make. Heed the warning... its deadly.. and it's killing you... but you don't have the right to kill others slowly while you kill yourself... Even if you want to sit here and not put 2 and 2 together and argue about the effects of second hand smoke like it isn't any more dangerous than what a typical person would inhale at an auto shop I STILL would be against smoking... because anyone who is alive knows that smoking kills... and well while you have the right to kill yourself.. I don't want any part of it...
Slit your wrists at your own house, don't do it at the restaurant I enjoy eating at while I'm trying to eat..

Old 12-14-2008, 08:52 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
What do you think would happen if smokers rose up and demanded the right to smoke where we want? Would the public put up with it? 20% of the US population smokes..yet this group of people are discriminated against every day..yet noone seems to care...why?
too lazy to read all the replies, but if it hasn't been mentioned, smoking is a choice, sexuality isn't.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
too lazy to read all the replies, but if it hasn't been mentioned, smoking is a choice, sexuality isn't.
I do read the headlines--i dont recall anyone saying that people dont have the right to be gay...unless you are saying it...are you?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:39 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
This is apples to oranges.

two guys having sex in their house affects no one. people being subjected to smoke in a public place affects THEIR health.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
I do read the headlines--i dont recall anyone saying that people dont have the right to be gay...unless you are saying it...are you?
The point is people are born gay, left handed, women, black or blind.

People aren't born smokers.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Can you get second hand gay? Smoking bothers me and lots of gay men smoke, more than the average of everyone else. However, homosexual people in a room are not going to affect the health of others unless they have sex with a diseased "gay" person. Yes smoking is a choice while being physically attracted to members of the same gender is not. You can even quit smoking, but who can quit being gay.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You can even quit smoking, but who can quit being gay.
Not me!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This is apples to oranges.

two guys having sex in their house affects no one. people being subjected to smoke in a public place affects THEIR health.

People smoking in thier home affects no one, yet they are still taxed to the hilt

Old 04-14-2009, 10:23 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
People smoking in thier home affects no one, yet they are still taxed to the hilt
Well actually, if you want to be technical about it...the smoking in the home can affect their pet & the other person living w/them, not to mention the people who live under or above them or across the hallway. Tell me, does your sex life negatively affect people in that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies