Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times

Advertisements

but(t) what about the pipe smokers....???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 PM

512 posts, read 712,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
You are missing the point!
I am refering to the legal aspect...not the health aspect of the 2. And besides you said smoking is a choice...isn't gay marriage a choice?

What if a gay married couple walked into a restaurant, and were told that they have to sit out on the patio only? Would that not be considered discrimination?
Being gay and married in no way harms the health of other restaurant customers. So yeah it would be discrimination. You first need to explain how gay people are a health hazard to you before your point could make any sense.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
"Just let them light it, suck it in, and hold their breath forever, and all of us non-smokers and especially ex-smokers will not complain in the least. "

Quote:
That seems like a prejudicial attitude...But I guess its ok to discriminate against some groups...buy not others eh?
I was a cigarette smoker for 20 years, and next August will be 20 years since I quit.

I have become allergic to cigarette smoke since I quit. if somebody smokes a cigarette in a room on Saturday, I can't breathe when I go into the room on Monday.

A smoker's rights necessarily end where a non-smoker's nose begins. To continue to smoke around others who don't should be construed as legal battery, IMHO.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
Being gay and married in no way harms the health of other restaurant customers. So yeah it would be discrimination. You first need to explain how gay people are a health hazard to you before your point could make any sense.
Again....I am not talking about the health aspect of the 2, but the legal aspect

Old 12-13-2008, 01:17 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
the legal aspects are tied to the health aspects, THAT is why it is acceptable to make people go out on the patio, Endangering someone else's health is impacting someone's rights because it infringes upon their right to clean healthy air. A gay couple is not infringing on their rights, it might just rub them wrong, but not equal under the law. That is why one is discrimination, and the other is not.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the legal aspects are tied to the health aspects, THAT is why it is acceptable to make people go out on the patio, Endangering someone else's health is impacting someone's rights because it infringes upon their right to clean healthy air. A gay couple is not infringing on their rights, it might just rub them wrong, but not equal under the law. That is why one is discrimination, and the other is not.

if you want to go that route--I have often heard that the gay lifestyle is risky

Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
if you want to go that route--I have often heard that the gay lifestyle is risky
the gay lifestyle is not risky... druggie and slutty lifestyles are what's risky...
the sad thing is that some (NOT ALL) gay people live both lifestyles...

That's like saying the african american lifestyle is risky because they have more heart disease, diabetis, and HIV infections than the rest of the population...

I hope you're not implying that a gay person being in a public place with you is some sort of a health risk to those who are not gay??? and if you are... on what grounds???

give it a rest.. and go read a book

Old 12-13-2008, 01:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Unfounded. That is, unless statistical studies using the criteria of a kindergarten project counts for conclusive evidence. /shrug
I don't need scientific evidence to tell me that cigarette smoke aggravates my allergies and makes me feel like gagging. If smoking were allowed in public buildings such as restaurants, I'd have to eat at home to enjoy a meal.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I don't need scientific evidence to tell me that cigarette smoke aggravates my allergies and makes me feel like gagging. If smoking were allowed in public buildings such as restaurants, I'd have to eat at home to enjoy a meal.

I see...so as long as YOUR rights are not trampled on..screw the rest?

Old 12-13-2008, 02:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
I see...so as long as YOUR rights are not trampled on..screw the rest?
Ooh! The irony of that comment coming from ELOrocks and directed at msconnie73 is astounding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies