Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleespresso View Post
Ron Paul proven right once again.

Someone please explain why people wanted an "obama" over someone like Ron Paul who has been right on just about every single American issue?????

I think it's based on racism and the incredible deep-seated (above anything else) racist desire to elect a person who is non-white.
It's because Americans really do like government even if they say they don't.

Libertarianism is too scary for most people. I even tried it out for awhile, but came to the conclusion that it really is best to have some government involvement in a lot of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:23 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Reporting from Mexico City -- The United States' war on drugs has failed and will continue to do so as long as it emphasizes law enforcement and neglects the problem of consumption, a Washington think tank says in a report co-chaired by a former president of Mexico.

The report urges the U.S. to take responsibility for stemming the transport of an estimated 2,000 guns a dayacross the border; to expand drug prevention programs in schools and redirect anti-drug messages to younger people by emphasizing cosmetic damage as well as health risks; and to greatly enhance drug courts, a system that incorporates treatment into prosecution.

More: U.S. war on drugs has failed, report says - Los Angeles Times

the same is true with the war on poverty. All too often both the republican and democrat party do nothing but throw more money on a dead horse even though the dead horse has shown them that no amount of money will resurrect it.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 PM

73 posts, read 133,188 times
Quote:
It's because Americans really do like government even if they say they don't.

Libertarianism is too scary for most people. I even tried it out for awhile, but came to the conclusion that it really is best to have some government involvement in a lot of things.
Wow. That's really sad.

That's classic projection. Kinda like saying, "since I'm afraid of guns, and that I might freak out and go postal, everyone else might too, and therefore we should ban guns".

It's bad when people with fears project them and proscribe them to everyone else, and then others' freedom is reduced.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleespresso View Post
Wow. That's really sad.

That's classic projection. Kinda like saying, "since I'm afraid of guns, and that I might freak out and go postal, everyone else might too, and therefore we should ban guns".

It's bad when people with fears project them and proscribe them to everyone else, and then others' freedom is reduced.

that is why the USA is made up more people who would rather vote for another goverment check, than to stand on their own 2 feet and make their own money.

hence the USA contains more sheep waiting for another goverment check, than make it on their own.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:01 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
Quote:
I think it's based on racism and the incredible deep-seated (above anything else) racist desire to elect a person who is non-white.
In the Republican primaries?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:08 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Quote:
Reporting from Mexico City -- The United States' war on drugs has failed and will continue to do so as long as it emphasizes law enforcement and neglects the problem of consumption, a Washington think tank says in a report co-chaired by a former president of Mexico.

The report urges the U.S. to take responsibility for stemming the transport of an estimated 2,000 guns a dayacross the border; to expand drug prevention programs in schools and redirect anti-drug messages to younger people by emphasizing cosmetic damage as well as health risks; and to greatly enhance drug courts, a system that incorporates treatment into prosecution.

More: U.S. war on drugs has failed, report says - Los Angeles Times

No surprise there.

The US "war" on just about everything has failed.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The war on drugs was lost years ago. No one in Government will admit it, that's why they have a think tank issue the report - any elected official who says that we've lost that war will be hounded mercilessly by the other party. We should legalize marijuana, control it, tax it heavily like we do booze and tobacco, and shut off the flow of billions to the Mexican Mafia and others who profit from the illegal trade. The price will drop greatly once the criminal aspect is dealt away. It should be seen as equivalent to alcohol and treated accordingly (no drinking alcohol or smoking of marijuana at work, while driving, operating machinery, etc).

In this country, we once outlawed alcohol (1920-1932) but all it did was create a very wealthy class of criminal, from the benign rum-runner Joe Kennedy to the vicious killer Al Capone. Prohibition was a huge mistake. The war on drugs is turning out the same. We leave the border open and have token inspections at our borders with Mexico. Am I the only person who wonders if some of those billions of drug money goes to Al Queda and other anti-American groups?

There are similarities to our "WAR ON" whatever. War on alcohol, war on poverty, war on drugs, war on terror. IMO, we need to get over ourselves and shtcan the "war on" mentality of our idiot leaders. Maybe we should gin up a "war on" stupid elected officials, booting out anyone who say we need a "war on" the issue du jour.
Great post....This is the same way I feel."The War on Drugs"...another useless war started by a republican that has wasted countless trillions of dollars and an untold number of lives.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,861 times
*Coughs*

I knew this IN THE 1990S!!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:45 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
*Coughs*

I knew this IN THE 1990S!!
Most of us with any sense at all knew it in the 70's when it began and when that puke Reagan escalated it during his time in office it just got worse.....I'm with MFBE on this,let's start a war on "War On" politicians.Boot them OUT at every election.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:46 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,861 times
Sorry, I wasn't born til 1981. Why would a 10 year old look into drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies