Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vademsandi View Post
How exactly is Global Warming, Destroying the Ozone, Climate Change, etc. "pure politics"? Of course big oil would think so, but since all peoples, all parties, all countries can and should work for a better, longer preserved earth, I fail to see how that can be purely political.
The pure politics part is, going around spouting off that Global Warming, Destroying the ozone and climate change,A] are even really happening. B] that we are causing it. and C] that all their solutions will change it. Like I said in my previous post everyone wants to take care of the earth. the only crisis here is how willing people are to believe this stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Gore owns a Lexus Hybrid, and at least two of his kids drive a Prius. I guess you don't know too much about hybrids. There are several SUV hybrids. You make yourself look silly if you comment when you don't know what you're talking about...
Well old timer i could have easily used your last sentence on you about your position, but out of respect for my elders, i wont! look obviously I dont have a problem making myself look silly in fact thought it might have been obvious that it was intentional, to point out how SILLY " understatement" this whole Climate Crisis is! Humor old timer humor it helps to ease the pain!

Old 02-26-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
DiCaprio drives a hybrid too.
when they come out with a hybrid with the price,capacity and performance of my Powerstoke Ford Excursion and my F550 I'll buy one to!

Old 02-26-2007, 03:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I try not to speak on "global warming" only because the "facts" are fairly subjective.

That being said, I hope nobody is going to deny that there is an air pollution problem. Regardless of it's affect on our climate, with the high rates of asthma these days you have to admit something is wrong. Now since the crusade to "prevent global warming" addresses basically the same thing, how can this be bad for us? How can this be "a waste of time"? Should we do nothing and wait until there are more serious problems to deal with?

I don't follow the thinking of those opposed to taking action.

-TT
People are getting asthma because they coop themself up indoors most of the time. Indoor air is a lot more toxic than outside air, and growing up in such a low oxygen environment is bad for all of those who do. It has also been found that being too clean is a cause of the immune response responsible for asthma. Get some pets and open the windows. Don't let the do gooders convince you otherwise. Also notice how the environment has been destroyed by development, not only pollution. Mc Mansions require a lot of power to run and all that driving is driving up the deficit. Al's inconvenient Truth" is unproven, and his solutions would be a disaster. Let's talk population control.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:22 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,854 times
Well if you take the time to review the 4th Assessment Report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, www.ipcc.ch, you will have factual answers to your questions.

Per their press release:

“The report was produced by some 600 authors from 40 countries. Over 620 expert reviewers and a large number of government reviewers also participated. Representatives from 113 governments reviewed and revised the Summary line-by-line during the course of this week before adopting it and accepting the underlying report”

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The pure politics part is, going around spouting off that Global Warming, Destroying the ozone and climate change,A] are even really happening.
“Global atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have increased markedly as a result of human activities since 1750 and now far exceed pre-industrial values determined from ice cores spanning many thousands of years. The global increases in carbon dioxide concentration are due primarily to fossil fuel use and land-use change, while those of methane and nitrous oxide are primarily due to agriculture.”

“Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now evident from observations of increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice, and rising global average sea level”

Quote:
B] that we are causing it. and
"understanding of anthropogenic warming and cooling influences on climate has improved since the Third Assessment Report (TAR), leading to very high confidence that the globally averaged net effect of human activities since 1750 has been one of warming"

Quote:
C] that all their solutions will change it.
“Anthropogenic warming and sea level rise would continue for centuries due to the timescales associated with climate processes and feedbacks, even if greenhouse gas concentrations were to be stabilized.”

Pretty much says it wont change it as it is too late, so get used to wilder and more severe weather, however if we don’t try to change it:

“Continued greenhouse gas emissions at or above current rates would cause further warming and induce many changes in the global climate system during the 21st century that would very likely be larger than those observed during the 20th century.”

Quote:
the only crisis here is how willing people are to believe this stuff!
Well if take the time to research it an review it, it is very credible. The only people who seem to politicize the issue are the ignorant ones who don’t take time to research and understand the nature of the matter and only spout off inaccuracies that show the limit of their “research” which is limited to beliefs and not actual study.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:27 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
People are getting asthma because they coop themself up indoors most of the time. Indoor air is a lot more toxic than outside air, and growing up in such a low oxygen environment is bad for all of those who do. It has also been found that being too clean is a cause of the immune response responsible for asthma. Get some pets and open the windows. Don't let the do gooders convince you otherwise. Also notice how the environment has been destroyed by development, not only pollution. Mc Mansions require a lot of power to run and all that driving is driving up the deficit. Al's inconvenient Truth" is unproven, and his solutions would be a disaster. Let's talk population control.
The cause of Asthma is unknown. I know the research you are referring to, and it's really just anecdotal.

What many of them fail to mention is that the people they studied who spend a large amount of time indoors are in an URBAN ENVIRONMENT.

They really have no idea what causes it. What we do know is it's on the rise. Whether or not the great inventor of the internet thinks its a problem is irrelevant. I personally think Al Gore is one of the biggest empty suits I've ever seen.

When you get down to it you have to apply some logic. Can we agree there is air pollution? I'm sure we can. Can we agree that any air pollution is probably not healthy for us? I'm still sure we can. Can we agree that if left unchecked air pollution will get worse? Check out the Los Angeles area. Yes it will. So why not do something now before it becomes a huge problem? Isn't that the logical thing to do? Clean the mess before it becomes a bigger mess and possibly grows unmanageable. Isn't that the logical thing to do?

-TT

Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,689,828 times
Quote:
Cyclical changes generally take a long time to cycle, and affect everyone on Earth as much as a permanent change caused by man. It might be a good idea to support something that can help mitigate the effects, regardless of who caused it.
I do, it's called recycling. But I don't support efforts that would undermine the U.S. economy without proof positive of cause/effect.
Quote:
Did you ever consider that the rest of the world is simply trying to do what it can to survive, and trying to influence the fat cat Americans who use resources at a FAR greater rate than the rest of the world combined.
Yep. I considered it, then I concluded that they are simply jealous of the American lifestyle. We may use more resources, but the subject is pollution, not the depletion of resources. Other countries are much worse at limiting pollutants than are we.

Quote:
Of course, that might mean you would actually have to think about someone else, for a change.
Yeah. Global climate change won't affect me or my family at all, so why should I care?

Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,621,948 times
Quote:
Well, I just finished watching the former veep and his little buddie lenny decaprio, and I was so moved that I couldnt wait for his acceptance speech to start this thread. We learned now that the oscars have now gone GREEN, so I assume that this means all those beautiful people got there by bicycle or electric car? I wonder, how did Algore get there? he wouldnt possibly have flown on a private plane? We also learned that it evidently is now called a CLIMATE CRISIS, I remember when these same self appointed stewards of the earth were saying that we only had 10 years left on the planet that was about 20 years ago! Is it just me or does anyone else wonder how these people can keep a straight face? Well, gotta go shovel that 2 feet of global warming out of my driveway!
Do you know what silas. I saw the look on the audiences faces when Al Gore was up on stage. It had to be the the same look on the faces of the people when Moses came down off the mountain with the ten commandments. They were truely in awe. It's a very scary look as far as I'm concerned. I don't scare very easy but I took note last night!

Old 02-26-2007, 03:43 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,308 times
Quote:
Cyclical changes generally take a long time to cycle, and affect everyone on Earth as much as a permanent change caused by man. It might be a good idea to support something that can help mitigate the effects, regardless of who caused it. Did you ever consider that the rest of the world is simply trying to do what it can to survive, and trying to influence the fat cat Americans who use resources at a FAR greater rate than the rest of the world combined.

Of course, that might mean you would actually have to think about someone else, for a change.
YES Oh, YES!

Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Well if you take the time to review the 4th Assessment Report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, www.ipcc.ch, you will have factual answers to your questions.

Per their press release:

“The report was produced by some 600 authors from 40 countries. Over 620 expert reviewers and a large number of government reviewers also participated. Representatives from 113 governments reviewed and revised the Summary line-by-line during the course of this week before adopting it and accepting the underlying report”

“Global atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have increased markedly as a result of human activities since 1750 and now far exceed pre-industrial values determined from ice cores spanning many thousands of years. The global increases in carbon dioxide concentration are due primarily to fossil fuel use and land-use change, while those of methane and nitrous oxide are primarily due to agriculture.”

“Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now evident from observations of increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice, and rising global average sea level”

"understanding of anthropogenic warming and cooling influences on climate has improved since the Third Assessment Report (TAR), leading to very high confidence that the globally averaged net effect of human activities since 1750 has been one of warming"

“Anthropogenic warming and sea level rise would continue for centuries due to the timescales associated with climate processes and feedbacks, even if greenhouse gas concentrations were to be stabilized.”

Pretty much says it wont change it as it is too late, so get used to wilder and more severe weather, however if we don’t try to change it:

“Continued greenhouse gas emissions at or above current rates would cause further warming and induce many changes in the global climate system during the 21st century that would very likely be larger than those observed during the 20th century.”

Well if take the time to research it an review it, it is very credible. The only people who seem to politicize the issue are the ignorant ones who don’t take time to research and understand the nature of the matter and only spout off inaccuracies that show the limit of their “research” which is limited to beliefs and not actual study.
what about the cows ? european scientist have concluded that methane gas from cow manure is more harmful than the automobile! sounds like a bunch of bullsh** to me! wonder how the animal rights crowd feels about that? do we kill all the cows to save the planet? who was keeping track of all that stuff in 1750 ?

Last edited by silas777; 02-26-2007 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies