Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 12:59 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I am so calling complete bull**** on your claim that everyone you know in the US carries a handgun to the grocery store. Where the hell do they live -- Compton? Even there I doubt that would be the case. I live in the US, and noone and I repeat NOONE carries a handgun to the store, library, or park.
Now, it is my perception and my conclusion that Brits are just as likely to show murderous behavior as Americans...only in different ways. (Btw, wasn't there a school shooting in Scotland not too long ago where a guy killed Kindergarteners in the school gym?)
I wonder how many people are beaten to death, or stabbed to death in the UK? Or tied to railroad tracks as was the case of the little boy? Murder is not an American phenomonon as you would like to believe. It exists everywhere, yes -- even in Scotland.
Dunblane massacre was the only school shooting before the handgun ban 1996.

After then its been quiet for the most part of course I don't live in a utopia. If only

But we dont have gun nuts either.

Compton, hahaha you made me laugh. Nah SC, MS. Not all carried a gun but some did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Boulder....kidding I ain't liberal

Grand Junction area, where my fiance is moving to in 3 weeks Ah don't get me started, see

Well move with her, then you can carry a gun! I don't get to GJ much but there is certainly some beautiful terrain around there.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Having spent alot of time practically living in the US and with a US fiance I know why you need the consitution.
You sure about that?

Quote:
Firstly you have more gang, extreme, gun violence than Scotland. Gun crime is practically non existant in my part of the world which is more than i can say for the US. You need guns for protection, you have the gun crime. Here we're not so worried as we don't have that problem.

I would for sure own a handgun in the US for protection as it seems theres alot of criminals with guns there. There are alot of crazies there.

Here i dont have that problem. I can leave my doors unlocked, I use my firearms for hunting and even if i could carry a handgun into a store i wouldn't because i feel safe here. Different breed of people here. My fiance agrees with me. We dont have the violence, breed of crime that you have there.

I do not have a problem with the constitution you guys need it, with the surge in gun violence i dont blame you but us folks here aren't so worried or paranoid because we just dont have that problem
Actually, our Constitution defines our system of government. You clearly don't even know what our Constitution is - there's no way you can claim to know why we need it.

Quote:
I felt it was alarming at how friends armed themselves with a handgun (conceal to carry) just to go to a grocery store!
Why?

Quote:
I guess we just don't live in fear here. My fiance loves our culture and the fact that not everyone is so paranoid about guns and is so obsessed.
Nor do we live in fear here.

Do you carry an insurance certificate in your car, or wear your seat belt while driving? If so, you must be in constant fear of getting in an accident, right? You must be paranoid and obsessing over it, to put that seat belt on every single time you get in a car.

Quote:
My perception is that Americans live in fear and are so paranoid
Your perception does not reflect reality. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Quote:
Secondly even when we had handguns in Scotland, there wasn't much of an increase in crime when they were banned. How do you work that one out?
No need - you admitted that there was an increase. You're doing our job for us - thanks!

Quote:
America has alot of nutters, especially gun nuts
It's remarkable that in a country with over 300,000,000 people, some of them don't conform to what you consider to be normal, isn't it? I mean, who would have thought that with such a small population, we'd have some extremists in the mix. What is the world coming to?

Quote:
So tell me why do some many people have conceal to carry?
Is that supposed to be "so many"? If so, define for us exactly what you mean by it. The vast majority of citizens either choose to not exercise their right, or live in a state that denies them their Constitutional right to bear arms.

Quote:
I'd never in a million years ever carry a gun out with me unless it was for target shooting or hunting.
Good for you! In our country, you have the right to make that choice, and I fully support your decision. I thank you in advance for your support of mine!

Quote:
Surely there is a flaw somewhere?
Is there a society that doesn't have flaws? Even just one? Name it. If you can't, then you're just throwing stones from within your own glass house.

Quote:
I live in the US, and noone and I repeat NOONE carries a handgun to the store, library, or park.
Careful there, camping. I can name at least two people besides myself just in these forums that are carrying more often than not. I don't carry in the library, because they have a "No Firearms" sign posted, and I'm a law abiding citizen. I do carry when I'm out running other errands, though, and so do many others.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Careful there, camping. I can name at least two people besides myself just in these forums that are carrying more often than not. I don't carry in the library, because they have a "No Firearms" sign posted, and I'm a law abiding citizen. I do carry when I'm out running other errands, though, and so do many others.
Whoops! I meant to have put 'noone I know carries a concealed handgun' not that noone does.
I'll fix that right away.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Well move with her, then you can carry a gun! I don't get to GJ much but there is certainly some beautiful terrain around there.
I'm female, im speaking about my fiance he is American.

Well he'll be working in GJ but we're not sure whether to stay near Denver.

Pleanty of good hunting opportunities

We don't want to carry guns unless we're hunting. We like that idea. Nothing wrong with living in Scotland though. Maybe yall should visit

Swagger, do you have a swagger? Kidding I think you misunderstood me, Scotland does not have gun crime like the US. Even since handguns were banned no one was effected there were no mass protests. We're quite happy with our ways here. I have no problem with the constitution i can asure you i understand completely i know quite alot about your country. I have been there many times and have an interest in your history/culture.

But it is dated, the constitution i mean. Protection from tyranny, where? It's the 21st century alot has changed since those days

Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
As far as concealed gun permits....It is my understanding that you have to have a good reason to have one, and 'I want one' is not a good enough reason. Perhaps if there is anyone posting on this thread with a permit to carry a concealed weopen, they could explain the procedure.
It varies by state. Nevada is a "shall issue" state, which means that they can't deny the permit unless you have some sort of history in your background that would disqualify you. With most states that have a "shall issue" policy, the things that would disqualify you from carrying are the same things that would disqualify you from buying a gun in the first place.

California, on the other hand, is very different. In most counties, it's virtually impossible to obtain a CCW.

In Alaska and Vermont, you're permitted to carry with no permit, as long as you're legally allowed to own the gun in the first place.

Then we have Illinois, the home of President Elect Obama, which doesn't issue permits at all.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM

558 posts, read 818,709 times
Quote:
So tell me why do some many people have conceal to carry? I'm sure its not to look good.

I'd never in a million years ever carry a gun out with me unless it was for target shooting or hunting. Must be violent if people are having to carry to stores etc.

Just an observation I made over there. Of course not all of the US is violent but there is more than the UK and most E.U countries.

Your country has seen countless school massacres, mall shootings, drive bys.

Surely there is a flaw somewhere?

London is in England, I live in Scotland my friend.
As stated in plain english many times before, the violence in the U.S. is related to a number of things. The simple facts are as follows:

gun violence hasn't surged since the assault weapons ban expired
gun violence isn't higher in states that issue concealed carry permits
Washington D.C. saw violence increase during the years handguns were banned
gun restrictions have done absolutely nothing to reduce violence in the U.S.

And I noticed that you seized at least 5 or 10 opportunities to take pot shots at the U.S. (no pun intended) out of your last few posts. Interesting. Why do people, especially brits apparently, incessantly cry and whine about our liberty to own semi-auto rifles and handguns? To my knowledge, my AR-15 hasn't jumped up and shot anyone in all the time I've owned it, let alone swam across the ocean and put down any of your livestock. Neither have my other firearms for that matter.

You also keep saying "gun nut". What exactly is a gun nut? Is it a derogatory label? If not, can you define it without resorting to put downs?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:08 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It varies by state. Nevada is a "shall issue" state, which means that they can't deny the permit unless you have some sort of history in your background that would disqualify you. With most states that have a "shall issue" policy, the things that would disqualify you from carrying are the same things that would disqualify you from buying a gun in the first place.

California, on the other hand, is very different. In most counties, it's virtually impossible to obtain a CCW.

In Alaska and Vermont, you're permitted to carry with no permit, as long as you're legally allowed to own the gun in the first place.

Then we have Illinois, the home of President Elect Obama, which doesn't issue permits at all.
Thanks for explaining it to me, I knew that there were regulations but I didn't realize that they varied so widely from state to state.
While I don't own a gun (though that may change) I very much support your right to own as many as you wish. It is also my hope that if I were ever in a situation like the mall shooting of a year ago that you or another like you would be there, gun in hand.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
As stated in plain english many times before, the violence in the U.S. is related to a number of things. The simple facts are as follows:

gun violence hasn't surged since the assault weapons ban expired
gun violence isn't higher in states that issue concealed carry permits
Washington D.C. saw violence increase during the years handguns were banned
gun restrictions have done absolutely nothing to reduce violence in the U.S.

And I noticed that you seized at least 5 or 10 opportunities to take pot shots at the U.S. (no pun intended) out of your last few posts. Interesting. Why do people, especially brits apparently, incessantly cry and whine about our liberty to own semi-auto rifles and handguns? To my knowledge, my AR-15 hasn't jumped up and shot anyone in all the time I've owned it, let alone swam across the ocean and put down any of your livestock. Neither have my other firearms for that matter.

You also keep saying "gun nut". What exactly is a gun nut? Is it a derogatory label? If not, can you define it without resorting to put downs?
Hmmm being a gun owner myself I am not against firearms but there are some policies that i am against.

Just sharing my opinion thats all.

Gun nut, someone obsessed with firearms - not healthy. Any obsession isn't healthy.

I'm 100% Scottish and have no problem with owning firearms. I just cannot understand why people would have conceal to carry. Now i know because 99% of your criminals carry guns unlike here.

No hard feelings.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
I just cannot understand why people would have conceal to carry.

In many states open carry is legal, but most people want to carry concealed for two reasons.

1. Its scares some people to see someone visibly wearing a gun.

2. If a bad guy sees you, you are the first person he/she will take out if there is a crime in progress, like a bank robbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies