Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
LOL... the greatest burden in healthcare is from the sickest people who require prolonged and expensive treatments. I suppose you rather everyone shares the burden of someone else's care. I tell you what. INSTEAD of forcing everyone to share their burden how about we set-up a VOLUNTARY program where people can share each other's health care expenses and we will let you go in and share their burdens. NO? What do you mean no? You mean you want to FORCE everyone to pay and not just you? Well, doesn't that beat all....

Who pays for the sickest people today?

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
I have to side with OZ and Greatday. Americans today feel entitled to a free ride on everything and can't bare the thought of personal accountability. The topic is I believe Why people have a right to healthcare. In fact everyone still has that right, its just that it must be paid for. Insurance is not a right it is an option. You say you cant afford a 300.00 payment. Can you afford 15 grand if while playing in the yard with the kids you tear your acl? Thats about the cost to repair it. well actually that was 9 years ago. But the point is valid. Raising taxes for everyone so that a select group wont need to take responcibility for their own health insurance seems a tad selfesh to me.
Many employers of the socalled uninsured offer health plans where the employee pays half the premium. Many opt not to participate, whose fault is that?

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You haven't looked around at most Americans then....

28% have high definition TV.

60% have cable TV.

82% own cell phones.

Where did you come up with this ridiculousness?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Ah ha!

So you won't answer my question oz. (Two can play that game).

And what does oz say about the 10-15% of Americans denied health care because of their preexisting conditions. Do they have any "rights"?
No one is denied healthcare. Some are denied insurance. Big difference...
Would you expect an auto insurer to cover your car if you brought it to him predamaged? They would insure everything but the damaged part.
People have options, some painful. Some requiring a sacrifice in the budgit. Thats life.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
I was referring to the doctors skipping the insurance altogether.
I'm sorry - I misunderstood.

Many of the articles I have read though have indicated that most of these doctors who have stopped taking insurance, have not seen their patients leave - if the patient wants to, they can submit the bill to their insurance carrier and seek re-imbursement

Old 11-28-2007, 10:04 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Many employers of the socalled uninsured offer health plans where the employee pays half the premium. Many opt not to participate, whose fault is that?

These plans are going away or the employer share of assistance is dropping...quickly... every single year, especially in recent years. This is why the model is going to break, according to every expert.

Can anyone arguing to keep things "status quo" provide any authority that claims the current US system for care to be healthy and in no danger? Please??

Old 11-28-2007, 10:05 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
No one has a *right* to fire protection. It is a social service that tax payers are willing to fund, and it's at a LOCAL level. Some libertarians feel all of these should be fee based services, and others feel that some social programs work well enough at a local level.

I've got no problem with some social services at a local level. It's when you start talking about a federal program that you lose the support of many of us.

But really, you should start reading about the differences between rights and necessities, or perceived necessities. In the context that our government was formed, a right is something you are born with. You have the right to protect yourself against tyranny, but not a right to be provided with that method of protection. You have a right to speak your mind, but not the right to be provided with the pen or paper or megaphone to facilitate that speech. You have the right to privacy, but not for the government to provide a free copy of PGP for your encryption needs. You do have the right to preserve your life, which heathcare is an instrument of... but you don't have a right to force another individual to be that instrument. It's pretty simple...

Old 11-28-2007, 10:05 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No one is denied healthcare. Some are denied insurance.
Exactly!

I have seen some reports that indicate that of the 40 million or so without heath insurance today, some 25% CAN AFFORD IT but, have voluntarily choosen not to get insurance.

They have voluntarily decided to "roll the dice"

Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Ah ha!

So you won't answer my question oz. (Two can play that game).

And what does oz say about the 10-15% of Americans denied health care because of their preexisting conditions. Do they have any "rights"?
Totally denied care or is the pre-existing condition not covered?

I am not sure as I really don't care...

My question isn't actually that tricky,I simply would like to know what is considered a reasonable cost to you and what sort of coverage the person should get....

Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Who pays for the sickest people today?
It seems like you want to.. and nobody stopping you. How many sick people have you paid for? Its easy to make everyone else pay instead of doing it yourself. I suppose you want everyone to pay. What if I don't want to pay for someone else's care? Are you going to force me too? I guess I have no say in how I want to spend my money... sorry if that is truly bad of me as I earned that money and because I worked for it ... I should just hand it over to someone else... My parents, relatives, and friends all paid their medical expenses... I don't believe anybody paid for them... perhaps you would like to give me 100k now and we call it even... Perhaps all the patients who are discharged from the hospital should walk around and start collecting money from other people who "owe" them for their own health care expenses... yeah, that's really fair.. and while we are at it.. have it MANDATORY that you pay $100 to every single homeless person you meet... we should be responsible for them too... While we are at it, I think people on welfare could do with more cash from the government why not make EVERYONE pay an additional $1000 for them to have a comfortable life doing nothing at home... wow, sign me up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies