Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, he is stating fact.

OFFTOPIC:

He seems to think that a 'constitutional republic' is NOT an instance of the class of political systems known as democracies. That would be an error.

Notice the contrast in the content of these two web pages:

Wikipedia.org:
Constitutional republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A constitutional republic is a form of liberal democracy, but not all liberal democracies are constitutional republics. "

Rabid Right Wing:
America is a Constitutional Republic . . . NOT a Democracy
"How often have you heard people refer to America as a Democracy? When was the last time that you heard America referred to as a Republic? There is a very good reason that our Pledge of Allegiance refers to our country as a Republic and there is a very good reason that our Declaration of Independence and our constitution do not even mentioned the word "democracy"."

So what we have here is a difference in terms due to a conflict of party ideologies. Use of the word 'democracy' becomes a propagandistic dispute. Interesting, isn't it, how the Right Wing has cultivated knee-jerk reactions among its flock to the use of the word 'democracy'! I hope my point is made.

Let's get back on topic, please.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 11-28-2007 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
He seems to think that a 'constitutional republic' is not an instance of the class of political systems known as democracies. That would be an error.
Are you going to respond to the other question I posed to you???

Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Well, you do use a different dictionary after all. I thought so.
United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
" A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-28-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
" A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
Thomas Jefferson
What would Jefferson know anyway????

Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Thomas Jefferson
The Founders were elitist for sure! Is that why Pelosi has been acting strangely?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Thomas Jefferson
OFFTOPIC:

I think Jefferson was aware of the passage and incorporation into the U.S. Constitution of the Bill of Rights.

Are all Right Wingers this clumsy in their ideological postings to public discussion boards? Pathetic. Could it be all the home-schooling?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The Founders were elitist for sure! Is that why Pelosi has been acting strangely?
No,it is because she is actually a fembot,half of her is made of plastic anyway.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
I think Jefferson was aware of the passage and incorporation into the U.S. Constitution of the Bill of Rights.

Are all Right Wingers this clumsy in their ideological postings to public discussion boards? Pathetic. Could it be all the home-schooling?
Right winger? I've never voted for a Republican in my life...

You're right that a Constitutional Republic is a form of democracy... but this quote is the reason why we don't have a direct democracy... and why the electoral college was established. Allowing the masses to directly decide laws would be counterproductive for society.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
OFFTOPIC:

He seems to think that a 'constitutional republic' is NOT an instance of the class of political systems known as democracies. That would be an error.
Are you going to answer the question I posed to you in an earlier post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies