Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:44 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,376,086 times

Advertisements

islandpacket.com | Local shops ready for tax-free holiday on guns (http://www.islandpacket.com/front/story/682229.html - broken link)

Quote:
Though Gov. Mark Sanford vetoed the bill creating the tax holiday, his veto was overwhelmingly overturned in both legislative chambers. Former Sen. Catherine Ceips of Beaufort and Reps. Bill Herbkersman of Bluffton, Richard Chalk of Hilton Head Island and Shannon Erickson of Beaufort all voted for the holiday.
Sanford spokesman Joel Sawyer said the governor would “rather have tax relief applied in a broad-based fashion over the entire year than a particular holiday for a particular item.”
Though the legislature defended it as an expression of support for gun rights, the holiday comes as the state is facing steep revenue declines. Florida and Maryland have scaled back sales tax holidays due to sharp drops in revenues.
Go South Carolina!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 01:53 PM

343 posts, read 508,799 times
I support anything that results in more people from Carolina killing themselves or their loved ones.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdistheWord View Post
I support anything that results in more people from Carolina killing themselves or their loved ones.
Hmm, maybe people are arming themselves for when they secede.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:47 PM

36,928 posts, read 18,798,709 times
I live in S.C. A lot of them here don't know to this day that we supposedly rejoined the Union after the last little dustup.

Looks like Obama was correct in his statement about "clinging bitterly to guns and religion". We got plenty of both to go around, if you need a few.

We might even pay the postage if you play your cards right.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,919,204 times
Didn't South Carolina go through this once before?

Some think Sherman was mean to Georgia, but it was nothing compared to South Carolina. Maybe we need a new Sherman?

Although they should bypass cuebald's house.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:14 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,982,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I live in S.C. A lot of them here don't know to this day that we supposedly rejoined the Union after the last little dustup.

Looks like Obama was correct in his statement about "clinging bitterly to guns and religion". We got plenty of both to go around, if you need a few.

Yeah my sister and mother both live outside Charleston. It's another world entirely.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,624,998 times
I wonder how they plan to make a demonstratkon of support for other constitutional protections, like due process. Or will they contunue to sentence suspects to rot in jail until they prove themselves innocent.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 PM

Sherman had it in for South Carolina, Columbia in particular, because General Wade Hampton made his home here. I live about a mile and a half from the ruins of "Millwood", his plantation house, which is about five miles east of the Capitol. My house stands on what was once one of his cotton fields.

When Sherman came across the Broad River into Columbia, all of the warehouses had been emptied out and bales of cotton lined the streets. it didn't take long for the soldiers to loot enough wine and whiskey to get drunk and burn the city. Sherman himself crossed the city and came out to burn Hampton's house personally.

If they burned Columbia today, it would be known as an Urban Renewal Project. Couldn't do anything but improve it, IMHO.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Yeah my sister and mother both live outside Charleston. It's another world entirely.

One of my daughters lives in Charleston, Folly Beach, actually.

Are you in Northern California? If so, what town?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

Where are you from originally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies