Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Ahh, there's the exposed nerve. Ole Jeff believes in entitlements for the educated.
No, Ole Jeff believes that if the job you want somebody to do requires a high degree of education, you'll have to dole out to get qualified people.

Do you want Rosie The Riveter performing open heart surgery on you?

The NERVE of me, suggesting that getting an education might get you a better job! How un-communist of me!

But I digress... Yeah, I do suppose some fat toad is entitled to $50.00 per hour, for sitting on a chair with his arms crossed, looking for ways not to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 07:59 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post

But I digress... Yeah, I do suppose some fat toad is entitled to $50.00 per hour, for sitting on a chair with his arms crossed, looking for ways not to work.

I dunno, have you ever encountered the situation you describe? Sounds like a classist stereotype to me. Such as depersonalizing people by calling them animals, a practice often used by racists. Goebbels-speak.

Ever been in a UAW car plant? I have. You'll see lots of people hustling on the line but no "fat toads" sitting in chairs.

Sounds to me like you're pissed off about your own lack of success and rather than getting off your ass and pulling yourself up would rather drag the other guy down. As I've said before, I've noticed similar resentment in other lower level white collar people.

By the way, last I heard heart surgeons WERE making more than riveters. I guess you ain't a heart surgeon, eh?

Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I dunno, have you ever encountered the situation you describe? Sounds like a classist stereotype to me. Such as depersonalizing people by calling them animals, a practice often used by racists. Goebbels-speak.

Ever been in a UAW car plant? I have. You'll see lots of people hustling on the line but no "fat toads" sitting in chairs.

Sounds to me like you're pissed off about your own lack of success and rather than getting off your ass and pulling yourself up would rather drag the other guy down. As I've said before, I've noticed resentment that in many other lower level white collar people.
Ahhh yes, pull out the old Nazi card.
And the personal attack? A classic of somebody who has NOTHING relevant to add to a conversation.

You've lost. Sorry.

...and for the record, I'm doing GREAT personally. Shoot, earlier this year I bought two more houses. I'm planning to buy another 2-3 within this next year, when the market bottoms out. My wife & I are now operating on a cash-only basis, and stand to be worth several million dollars by the time we retire. So save your little speech about my supposed resentment, TommyBoy. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I didn't forget them. I just didn't mention them, per se.

On the other hand, it's highly likely that there are nowhere near as many engineers and designers as there are union laborers. So their expense is rather minimal. Plus, it's necessary to have a high degree of education in order to do their jobs, so the requirements of the job demand more pay.

I don't care HOW much education those responsible for abominations like the Pontiac Aztek have, you could never convince me they are worth any more than minimum wage.

Last edited by burdell; 11-29-2008 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-29-2008, 08:13 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Ahhh yes, pull out the old Nazi card.
And the personal attack? A classic of somebody who has NOTHING relevant to add to a conversation.

You've lost. Sorry.

...and for the record, I'm doing GREAT personally. Shoot, earlier this year I bought two more houses. I'm planning to buy another 2-3 within this next year, when the market bottoms out. My wife & I are now operating on a cash-only basis, and stand to be worth several million dollars by the time we retire. So save your little speech about my supposed resentment, TommyBoy. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Talk like Goebbels and you'll be called on it.

If you weren't resentful you wouldn't act---resentful. You're the one who came on the attack against workers. Online you can claim anything but one must wonder why you'd have such hostility towards well paid blue collar workers if you were doing as well as you claim. In my experience the guy who has it made doesn't mind the other guy who has it made.

I take it you haven't been in a UAW plant and personally observed "fat toads" in chairs.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:14 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

In case you didn't know, there's a vast difference between accumulating $$$ and being worth them.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't care HOW much education those responsible for abominations like the Pontiac Aztec have, you could never convince me they are worth any more than minimum wage.
Yet another reason The Big 3 are failing. They could have made the Aztek even better if they'd used that wonderful Quad 4 engine!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In case you didn't know, there's a vast difference between accumulating $$$ and being worth them.
Oh no, we'll be WORTH millions. And yes, my wife uses Loreal...

Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Please share your analysis with the rest of us. If not the details, at least your methodology, which purports "cents" per vehicle is the cost of UAW labor. Try a simplistic approach. Just multiply the number of UAW workers times their salary (forget benefits, jobs bank, retirement, health care, etc.) and divide by the number of vehicles produced and explain how the result is "cents" per vehicle.
In linear fashion; the fact that U.A.W. workers get paid every six minutes and the volume/number of vehicles rolling off the final line per hour. Numbers were crunched to a certain plant.

Got the chance ["hacked" into other plants..perfectly within bounds..] to see other "mainframe" boards within the corporation across the U.S. and it's anywhere between 45 to 70 vehicles rolling off of final line.

I used the linear method because the public is so apt to throw a dollar figure to an hour.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Talk like Goebbels and you'll be called on it.

If you weren't resentful you wouldn't act---resentful. You're the one who came on the attack against workers. Online you can claim anything but one must wonder why you'd have such hostility towards well paid blue collar workers if you were doing as well as you claim. In my experience the guy who has it made doesn't mind the other guy who has it made.

I take it you haven't been in a UAW plant and personally observed "fat toads" in chairs.
Talk like an ignorant boob, and you'll get called on it.

You lost. Admit it and move on. Anytime you have to bring out stupid Nazi inferences and resort to personal attacks, you lost.

So learn something, and move on. Drive your over-priced, poor quality Ford if you think it'll keep running long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies