Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 PM

399 posts, read 554,244 times

Advertisements

The reason why Cigarettes are not allowed is because they
pose a grave public health hazard. Via secondhand smoke.

if you need to smoke, step outside.
stop complaining and don't ruin health for OTHER people too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:41 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post

Has anyone actually died from inhaling second hand smoke?

Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Has anyone actually died from inhaling second hand smoke?
Yeah seriously, everybody complains about second hand smoke, but even as growing up I have yet to meet or encounter anybody whose life has been seriously disrupted by second hand smoke. Or died from it for that matter. It may not smell nice, but is it really that disabilitating? Overhyped media nonsense.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 AM

769 posts, read 2,231,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Stress Relief....cheaper than drugs or a therapist!
It's not cheaper than drugs if they become addictive; and most smokers are addicted. How much does the average pack cost? 5 bucks a pack? Many smokers don't only smoke one pack a day so that is a lot of dough spent in one year.

Besides, are you seriously going to tell me that there aren't any better ways to relieve stress that don't involve tampering with your health or the health of others? Exercising, reading, writing, drawing, painting, photography, and playing my guitar are among one of the many ways I relieve stress. None of which have any negative side effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Yeah seriously, everybody complains about second hand smoke, but even as growing up I have yet to meet or encounter anybody whose life has been seriously disrupted by second hand smoke. Or died from it for that matter. It may not smell nice, but is it really that disabilitating? Overhyped media nonsense.
Bulls***! That stuff definitely messes me up. Not only does the smoke mess with my nostrils, and make it feel like my nose-hairs are on fire, but it also messes up my throat. I still have vivid memories of going to a friends house and inhaling the smoke from him and his mother. I had to leave early because I was coughing so bad and my eyes were watering. I went home and I was still coughing. In fact, I practically coughed myself to sleep. No joke!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
Smoking is disgusting to non-smokers. Personally, I can't eat my meal in a smoky room. I don't want to reak of smoke because of someone else's habit. I certainly don't want my room to reak of smoke from my clothes. And what gives you the right to make me bear the burden of your stench. How about if someone came and farted all over you nonstop and you had to go home smelling of fart? That's how a non-smoker views the smoking habit.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times
I am very happy about these bans. I don't smoke, so I won't cry about it.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Bulls***! That stuff definitely messes me up. Not only does the smoke mess with my nostrils, and make it feel like my nose-hairs are on fire, but it also messes up my throat. I still have vivid memories of going to a friends house and inhaling the smoke from him and his mother. I had to leave early because I was coughing so bad and my eyes were watering. I went home and I was still coughing. In fact, I practically coughed myself to sleep. No joke!
Sounds to me like you have an allergy to it. I am a non-smoker and it does not bother me to be around smoke. But one of my friends has the same problem you do, and I'll admit that it's a pain in the ass to go places with her. However, menthol cigarettes tend to turn make me nauseous, and I don't think I'd do so well in a smokey room of all-menthol smoke.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post

Smoking ban has been in force in Scotland for a while now. Despite the drop in numbers at bars its still healthier as i am a non smoker and would rather have my health than worry about other peoples habits.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 PM

402 posts, read 1,266,044 times
I'm an ex-smoker:

So I see both sides, but I disagree with a flat ban of smoking. I believe that individual bars/restaurants should be allowed to decide if they will allow smoking or not.

I think the smoking bans may have been a necessary evil in order to get owners to consider banning smoking in their establishments. But I think if you let it go free again you'll end up seeing that some owners will allow smoking again, but I think there will still be some that will not. What will happen is that you'll see a natural filter over time of bars to find an equilibrium for each area of how many bars will and will not allow smoking. If every bar in town begins to allow smoking again, one bar owner will see an opportunity and ban smoking... All the non smokers will flock to this bar, taking some of their smoking friends with them too. Then a few others will ban smoking, taking some of that business back, but some will still remain smoking. It would all work out in the long run.

If you get tired of not having a bar that doesn't ban smoking... Becoming and entrepreneur and open a bar!

Ironically I've notice the opposite thing going on in some areas. There's a high enough demand for a bar that allows smoking in some places that owners have discovered that it's actually economically beneficial to allow smoking anyway and just pay the fines. They have actually become known through the smoking community and their business volume has actually increased since the ban took effect because of it. The increase in business has actually not only paid the fines they have been hit with, but has actually started making the bar more money.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:02 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionvier View Post
I'm an ex-smoker:

So I see both sides, but I disagree with a flat ban of smoking. I believe that individual bars/restaurants should be allowed to decide if they will allow smoking or not.
Not when you get lung cancer or the sort from passive smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies