Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,561 times

Advertisements

Do you think banning smoking in bars is going a little too far? I can see the ban in Offices, Theatres, Hospitals, and some types of restaurants, but IMO I think its going to the extreme to ban it in bars. I also believe it is another form of big government telling business owners and consumers what they can and can not do.
If I am a bar owner, and most of my clientele are smokers, is it fair to take that away? If non smokers are so bothered by cigarette smoke, why don't they open their own NON-SMOKING BARS!
If city governments are going to take that right away, why dont they go ahead and make PDA (public displays of affection) illegal as well.

Yes we know all about the scientific studies on the effects of smoking and second hand smoke, but as an individual, isnt it OUR bodies? If we want to pollute our lungs while getting liquored up, isnt that our business? Do we really need BIG BROTHER saying we cant do it?

What are your opinions on this?

I looked for a thread with this topic, but only found local ones, so I created this one to get a broader view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 01:06 PM

196 posts, read 992,570 times
the Boston Public Health Commission is actually meeting this week or next to vote on a ban on Hookah and Cigar bars in Boston....to go with the already existing smoking ban.....
Smoking ban tied to a gain in lives - The Boston Globe

Old 11-30-2008, 01:07 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,150 times
We've had the ban on smoking bars here in NYC for about 6 years now. It really sucked at first, but now we've gotten used to it. Its worse in the winter because of the cold, but it has opened up more opportunities to socialize with people on the street in front of the bars.
Plus I don't smell as smokey when i get home now.
I'd like it to go back to the way it was before, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:12 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times
Somking doesn't seem to be a right, it's a privelage. I love the fact that I can go somewhere and actually smell my food. Madison,WI has a smoking ban and I'm a huge supporter of smoking bans.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:23 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Somking doesn't seem to be a right, it's a privelage. I love the fact that I can go somewhere and actually smell my food. Madison,WI has a smoking ban and I'm a huge supporter of smoking bans.

How is smoking a priviledge? I agree with what you said about being able to go somewhere and smell your food, thats why I said "some restaurants".
I just dont think governments need to tell us what we can and can not do.

If some bars want to be Non-Smoking they should be able to do it own their own. For example...some bars you cant wear tank tops, open toed shoes, etc. Its a part of the "dress code". If a owner of a bar doesnt want smoking in their bar, they should just post it along with their dress code if they have one.

All I am saying is I don't think our city governments need to spend time enacting and enforcing these rules, it should be left up to the business owners.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:30 PM

937 posts, read 864,127 times
Well, the likelihood of someone dying of second-hand smoking will decline. However, a lot of bars are losing money because of this. So, it all depends.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:33 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,574 times
It's an infringement on the American people. I can't believe that with all the problems this country has they zone in on smoking bans. With the war, the economy and the nationwide violence on the streets, the government and the idiotic/blind people focus on smoking, gay marriage, nudity, bleeping out swear words and riding in the back of pick up trucks. Wake up and realize people that this is why other countries are laughing at us and that these stupid and pointless laws are what is stopping our country from ever being truly free. While sombody who can't afford the money is getting ticketed for smoking in a bar, a woman across town is getting raped while the perpatrator gets off scot-free. Wake up.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM

I agree that it should be up to the owner of the establishment.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:41 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
I would be happy if they just stop producing cigarettes.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I would be happy if they just stop producing cigarettes.
While they are at it they should stop producing automobiles and fast food. Both are just as bad for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies