Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,714,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What book will Obama put his hand on when he is sworn into office?
If that slimeball Jeremiah Wright finishes his book by then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Some people have better things to worry about than one word in the Pledge of Allegiance. If you don't like the pledge don't say it. I love how our society now thinks they have a RIGHT not to be offened. Again, don't like don't say it. Pretty simple.

What book will Obama put his hand on when he is sworn into office? So religion does not belong in our system of gov't? Not true at all.
Just as in court, he has the option to swear an oath in any form he chooses. If Obama, just once, as a child, had declined to take part in reciting the pledge, the swift-boaters would have found out about it and McCain would be presdient elect. It's not simply a matter of "Don't say it", which would not only be politically suicidal, it would get you drummed out of the Kiwanis Club and could get your dealership franchise taken away from you by the Ford Motor Company.

By inserting the words "under God" into the damn thing, they creacted a social environment in America in which every single person would be obliged, daily, under penalty of social ostracization, to publicly, with the force of an oath, either assert a belief in God, or disavow a belief in America. And that is what makes the thing a genuine danger to the sense and concept of liberty and its concomitant first-amendment rights.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-01-2008 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 PM

917 posts, read 2,298,779 times
As jtur88 has just pointed out, when people are ostracized for not saying the pledge it's pretty obvious that the .."for liberty and justice for all" part is an absurdity. We have NEVER had that in this country. It should say liberty and justice for wealthy white males. SOMETIMES others get treated with justice and granted the same liberties, but certainly not always. As for the god part the religious people feel safer with it I guess, but what is this nonsense about war? Do the religious think that the folks in our military fight wars because god wants them to? Caring about one's country and believing in god are not necessarily connected. There are lots of athiests in the military and lots of religious people who do not join the military. As for myself, I just don't say it and if asked I tell the person what I just posted here.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
If we ever want this recession/depression to end, its time we stop flipping God the bird everytime we get a chance. God us judging us for our ungodliness. We kicked God out of America, and now He is gone, and we have to get used to life without the blessings of God.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:16 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If we ever want this recession/depression to end, its time we stop flipping God the bird everytime we get a chance. God us judging us for our ungodliness. We kicked God out of America, and now He is gone, and we have to get used to life without the blessings of God.
LOL!!!

[mod cut]

I thought God was everywhere? Who flicked the bird to God? Haha.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-01-2008 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: don't be rude

Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
As jtur88 has just pointed out, when people are ostracized for not saying the pledge it's pretty obvious that the .."for liberty and justice for all" part is an absurdity. We have NEVER had that in this country. It should say liberty and justice for wealthy white males. SOMETIMES others get treated with justice and granted the same liberties, but certainly not always. As for the god part the religious people feel safer with it I guess, but what is this nonsense about war? Do the religious think that the folks in our military fight wars because god wants them to? Caring about one's country and believing in god are not necessarily connected. There are lots of athiests in the military and lots of religious people who do not join the military. As for myself, I just don't say it and if asked I tell the person what I just posted here.
Is The Man keeping you down?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
How insightful. Religion belongs to individuals in this country. The state plays no role, save that necessary to secure its legitimate interests. There is no legitimate interest served in having "under God" in the Pledge. Return the Pledge to ALL the people. Take those two words out...
Why am I not surprised that that would be your view?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:32 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Do you realize that because of them, you are able to ask such a question?
That doesn't make all of them or any of them right about everything.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
If the word "God" in the pledge of allegiance is a problem, then what must people think of our currency, with the words "In God We Trust." Are these people going to refuse to handle money?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
As with many other issues, if someone is so very appalled by something in America and so unhappy, they are completely free to pack up and move to another country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies