Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 AM

998 posts, read 1,513,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Exchange rate problem: It's the 21st page as the pagination is displayed by Acrobat. In the internal printed page numbers, it's page 18.

No one doubts that Christians are a long way from extinction. But their grip on the US population has nevertheless been declining for decades and will no doubt continue to do so as the various excesses of some evangelicals and fundamentalists further alienate the affections of succeeding generations...
Thanks. The thing that stands out on that page is that they state that the evangelicals are definitely on the rise, and that fits with what I heard on CNN. They were talking about how successful the evangelical mega-churches have been since the early 80s (they've spent billions at it), so we're probably crossing tangents here.

Anyway - the important thing is I AGREE. I want it off our currency and out of the pledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 11:18 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
Thanks. The thing that stands out on that page is that they state that the evangelicals are definitely on the rise, and that fits with what I heard on CNN. They were talking about how successful the evangelical mega-churches have been since the early 80s (they've spent billions at it), so we're probably crossing tangents here.
Yes, evangelical protestants now outnumber mainline protestants, but the overall percentages of protestants, Christians, and the religious have all been falling.

Quote:
Anyway - the important thing is I AGREE. I want it off our currency and out of the pledge.
Yes, and if the Supreme Court ever has the courage to take the case on the merits, the logic of the 9th Circuit will prevail. Both the facts and the law stand clearly in our favor...

Old 12-07-2008, 11:22 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
I want it off our currency and out of the pledge.
If you feel that way - I strongly encourage you to contact your Congressional Representatives and ask them to introduce legislation to remove the word "GOD" from the Pledge and Currency

One person can make a difference

Old 12-07-2008, 11:29 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Here's a more realistic version of the pledge that maybe we should all try out: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of America, and to the republic for which it stands one nation divided by God with liberty and justice for some."

Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Here's a more realistic version of the pledge that maybe we should all try out: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of America, and to the republic for which it stands one nation divided by God with liberty and justice for some."
Yeah, I like that. And I would extend it a little further:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, divided by God, with liberty and justice for some, and for all of you q-u-e-e-r-s who want to get married, some of us hope you get hit by a bus. Amen."

Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If you feel that way - I strongly encourage you to contact your Congressional Representatives and ask them to introduce legislation to remove the word "GOD" from the Pledge and Currency

One person can make a difference
It will happen one day, when people in general start to wise up and realize that a recycled mythology that was used before Christianity (the whole God and his son having to die thing is a theme in pre-Christian religions) is a pipe dream.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
It will happen one day, when people in general start to wise up and realize that a recycled mythology that was used before Christianity (the whole God and his son having to die thing is a theme in pre-Christian religions) is a pipe dream.
Why wait for "someday"?? Why don't you try to do something about it now?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 AM

387 posts, read 677,546 times
Quote:
Ok, not a very good tact to take when arguing in favor of a democracy that's inclusive for everyone.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
Ok, not a very good tact to take when arguing in favor of a democracy that's inclusive for everyone.
I'm not talking about being inclusive, I am talking about ending exclusiveness in the form of one religion being favored by our govt.

As far as my beliefs, you'd have me hide them?

How is THAT inclusive?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why wait for "someday"?? Why don't you try to do something about it now?
Don't be so sure I don't advocate for such changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies