Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:35 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,882 times

Advertisements

i can just only imagine all the personal anguish and hell you liberals must go through when you hear the word "God". you guys should come together and file a lawsuit against every individual that says that word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default In the name of God

If you don't like it then silently skip the reference to God when you stand and say the pledge.

Without a religious reference point we are left with a basket full of feel good laws that will become our downfall. Also consider mans' law is only as effective as the lawyer you can afford, as honest as the legislator which creates the law and it is all meted out with the threadbare blindfold of the justice system. Live by the law die by the law.

We certainly need more than man's laws to guide our society.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:28 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If you don't like it then silently skip the reference to God when you stand and say the pledge.

Without a religious reference point we are left with a basket full of feel good laws that will become our downfall. Also consider mans' law is only as effective as the lawyer you can afford, as honest as the legislator which creates the law and it is all meted out with the threadbare blindfold of the justice system. Live by the law die by the law.

We certainly need more than man's laws to guide our society.
You're making value judgements on what is and isn't moral then purporting that what you consider to be moral and immoral what 'god's law' teaches. Although 'god's law' also advocates slavery, beating your slaves, genocide, beating your children and intolerance of women. If governmental law is to be based on religion then slavery etc. should all be considered legal and acceptable behaviors. A developed society bases their laws on rational thinking not religion or what some authority figure says is moral and immoral. Forming laws based on what 'god' says is right or wrong only thwarts the health of society. Forming laws without using the god concept as a reference to dictate morality won't denigrate into making laws based on whatever 'feels good.' People are social animals thereby form societies. Laws are formed to protect the social cohesion of a society. Making things like murder and theft illegal are baseed on rational thought since murder and theft are detrimental to the social order, that has nothing to do with religion or god. Rational thinking would tell someone that the 'under god' statement in the Pledge of Allegiance should be taken out since it has religious conotations.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i can just only imagine all the personal anguish and hell you liberals must go through when you hear the word "God". you guys should come together and file a lawsuit against every individual that says that word.
It has nothing to do with hearing the word god. Putting god in the pledge gives religious conotations to something which is supposed to be kept neutral. If it said 'one nation under Satan' then there would be an uproar among alot of Christians.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 AM

Why do people even care so much to keep it in. The phrase 'under god' wasn't added until the 1940s in order to combat communism.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post

I don't know about that one. I'm an independent but I've got to tell you, in my experience, there is an abundance of religious "liberals" out there too - even if they don't necessarily agree with some of the "Godless policies" of the government.

Personally, I find it pathetic that people can't mind their own businesses and tend to their own issues. That way, there won't be any lawsuits to have to deal with (even 'tho I am assuming you are being "tongue in cheek" with that comment). Likewise, if people didn't jump on the "How offensive!" bandwagon everytime something they didn't agree with came up, there'd be one heck of a lot less angst. If one wants to say "under God" or just "indivisible" then who am I to get in an uproar? It's supposed to be a free country.

There are bigger issues to get our knickers knotted about than whether or not "God" should stay in the pledge. Believing in God is a personal choice - dare I say "freedom" - and one that shouldn't be trampled on. That's where the separation of church and state comes in. It's a pledge of allegience to our flag, which represents our government. If we were to look at it in literal terms as far as the separation of church and state, then IMO it shouldn't be there as it wasn't until 1954.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Why do people even care so much to keep it in. The phrase 'under god' wasn't added until the 1940s in order to combat communism.
Link:The Pledge of Allegiance - A Short History The Pledge of Allegiance A Short History by John W. Baer

Pay particular attention to the last two lines before the bibliography. I find it disheartening as I find history is being changed on a nearly minute-by-minute basis now.

Last edited by cebdark; 04-06-2009 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
IMO, you are free to say the Pledge however you wish too. No one is going to turn and look at you to see if you say "Under God" when saying the pledge.

But in a class of children, all saying the Pledge in unison, someone omitting those words very well might be noted. Certainly any children opting to not participate at all will be noted.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:43 AM

504 posts, read 902,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanufacturing View Post
i am a person who believes in god. i dont believe in the american dream though. i dont agree with using god as a marketing tool. i dont agree with mega churches. i dont believe with swearing on a bible. and i certainly do not believe in putting, "in god we trust" on our money. i truly enjoy a good irony, maybe i should quit work on religious gounds, as, you can not serve two masters for you will love the one and hate the other, you can not serve god and mammon. for the longest time i belived that america was the land of opportunity , what ive determined is that america has become a land of oppertunism, gain by any means possible. as you watch congressional hearings on the economy, how can anyone with any intelligence, with a straight face, defend our version of free market capitalism. how can we be so arrogant, as to be offended by the fact that, some cultures just do not want our version of democracy. maybe free speech isnt worth it if it has to include pronography, or hate filled music, or liberty when it allows trampling other peoples rights under foot.there is one verse in the bible that everyone regardless of there religious beliefs, can or hopefully should believe, jesus when asked about the tax says after asking for a coin, whos inscription and likness is this on the coin , he is told ceasers, jesus responds , give to ceaser what is due ceasar and to god what is due god. although maybe i can pay my taxes this year in prayers.
The funny part is they never say which God they put their trust in!
"in god we trust"

Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
No. I am liberal, I am for gun control (not banning guns, but keeping assult war riffles out of hands of idiots), I am for abortion, I am very environmental, etc.

However, I believe in God. I don't believe in Christianity or any organized religion. I am agnostic, but I believe that there is something behind the meaning of this universe and life. I am just smart enough to pretend that I don't know what the something is like organized religions do.

God is an idea, a concept that helps explain what science has yet to prove. It isn't concrete that only idiots think it is. Like some dude with a big white beard on a cloud. Why should a word be banned? Trying to ban it only shows how insecure you are with yourself in trying to figure out what life is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies