Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Hey, Ray?

The pledge, as written, existed for decades without God in it. The country did just fine.

And God, by itself, is very intentionally invoking the Christian God - it was pushed by a pastor.
Here we go with the same old-same old.
The minority chooses, the majority suffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks the Pledge of Allegiance is nonsense. I don't think I've ever met anyone in real life who felt that way.
What's the problem?
Most kids who have to say the Pledge of Allegiance are probably happy to do so. It's a couple of more minutes that they can spend daydreaming.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 AM

For all the people who want to banish the pledge or take God out of it, you do have a choice.
You can gather enough signatures to get it on your state's ballot.

I've got 100 dollars that says you won't get enough signatures or if you do the measure goes down in flames.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
God is not a Christian matter at all... God is recognized by nearly all religions. God is a overseeing entity superior to mankind. The founding fathers were all God fearing people whether they were Christian or not. To to think that no God existed was nearly non-existent itself when this country was founded. Don't confuse God with Christianity alone, shows how ignorant you are.
From Wikipedia:

"""""Although the term atheism originated in the 16th century, based on Ancient Greek ἄθεος "godless, denying the gods, ungodly"[1] and open admission to positive atheism in modern times was not made earlier than in the late 18th century, atheistic ideas and beliefs, as well as their political influence, have a more expansive history.
The spontaneous proposition that there may be no gods after all is likely as old as theism itself (and the proposition that there may be no God as old as the beginnings of monotheism or henotheism). Philosophical atheist thought appears from the 6th or 5th century BCE, both in Europe and in Asia.
Although the term atheism originated in the 16th century, based on Ancient Greek ἄθεος "godless, denying the gods, ungodly"[1] and open admission to positive atheism in modern times was not made earlier than in the late 18th century, atheistic ideas and beliefs, as well as their political influence, have a more expansive history.
The spontaneous proposition that there may be no gods after all is likely as old as theism itself (and the proposition that there may be no God as old as the beginnings of monotheism or henotheism). Philosophical atheist thought appears from the 6th or 5th century BCE, both in Europe and in Asia."""

And religion should STILL be kept out of the government!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Here we go with the same old-same old.
The minority chooses, the majority suffers.
If the majority had had any say in the creation of it, you might be right - but what we have is pure momentum, rather than anything else. It's like trying to make meaningful change to the school year - the change to put God into the Pledge after more than 60 years was a kneejerk (emphasis on the 2nd syllable) reaction to "godless communism," not some sort of outcry by the masses.

And yes, Tom, it is the same old same old - the majority religious group tries to assert its right to make this country something it isn't - an active proponent of belief in one omnipotent God.

So, how would you suffer if the Pledge of Allegiance were returned to the state its author preferred?

How would anybody suffer?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 AM

387 posts, read 677,788 times
Quote:
If the majority had had any say in the creation of it, you might be right - but what we have is pure momentum, rather than anything else. It's like trying to make meaningful change to the school year - the change to put God into the Pledge after more than 60 years was a kneejerk (emphasis on the 2nd syllable) reaction to "godless communism," not some sort of outcry by the masses.

And yes, Tom, it is the same old same old - the majority religious group tries to assert its right to make this country something it isn't - an active proponent of belief in one omnipotent God.

So, how would you suffer if the Pledge of Allegiance were returned to the state its author preferred?

How would anybody suffer?
It's less about who suffers and more about "neener neener. We don't like atheists and agnostics, so we're going to stick it to them. Neener neener."

Childish, really.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,381 times
Quote:
God is not a Christian matter at all... God is recognized by nearly all religions.
One God is recognized by a small percentage of total religions, unless you break down the Protestants into their component parts.

Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Zoroastrianism are the main 4 that do.

Hindus believe in many gods. Buddhists don't believe in a god at all. Some half a billion folks or so are inclined away from religion and believe in no god.

So, figure somewhere between 1.5 and 2 billion people don't believe in your concept of there being ONE God.

But, while there are other religions than Christianity that believe in God, it is not for their sake that our government has promoted God - witness the "This is a Christian country!" crowd.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
From Wikipedia:

"""""Although the term atheism originated in the 16th century, based on Ancient Greek ἄθεος "godless, denying the gods, ungodly"[1] and open admission to positive atheism in modern times was not made earlier than in the late 18th century, atheistic ideas and beliefs, as well as their political influence, have a more expansive history.
The spontaneous proposition that there may be no gods after all is likely as old as theism itself (and the proposition that there may be no God as old as the beginnings of monotheism or henotheism). Philosophical atheist thought appears from the 6th or 5th century BCE, both in Europe and in Asia.
Although the term atheism originated in the 16th century, based on Ancient Greek ἄθεος "godless, denying the gods, ungodly"[1] and open admission to positive atheism in modern times was not made earlier than in the late 18th century, atheistic ideas and beliefs, as well as their political influence, have a more expansive history.
The spontaneous proposition that there may be no gods after all is likely as old as theism itself (and the proposition that there may be no God as old as the beginnings of monotheism or henotheism). Philosophical atheist thought appears from the 6th or 5th century BCE, both in Europe and in Asia."""

And religion should STILL be kept out of the government!
Well thats impressive because I thought atheism had been around since the beginning of time... oh and I did say nearly nonexistent and I still hold to that.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
One God is recognized by a small percentage of total religions, unless you break down the Protestants into their component parts.

Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Zoroastrianism are the main 4 that do.

Hindus believe in many gods. Buddhists don't believe in a god at all. Some half a billion folks or so are inclined away from religion and believe in no god.

So, figure somewhere between 1.5 and 2 billion people don't believe in your concept of there being ONE God.

But, while there are other religions than Christianity that believe in God, it is not for their sake that our government has promoted God - witness the "This is a Christian country!" crowd.
God in Hindu Dharma and Representation in Temples

God is known as a collective entity for some religions as I stated before.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

387 posts, read 677,788 times
Quote:
Well thats impressive because I thought atheism had been around since the beginning of time... oh and I did say nearly nonexistent and I still hold to that.
The wikipedia article addresses the term, "atheism". But there has been skepticism for a long, long time. I'm no historian, but I recall Epicurus being atheistic.

And early Christians were called something on the order of "godless" because they rejected the Pagan gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies