Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times

Advertisements

I have to agree its a shame that people worry more about global warming then they do about the economy in their community, poverty and things they can change locally with-in their own communities.

Some people seem to worry about ecological blueprints, global warming and rising sea levels (1 foot every 100 years maybe) when the fact is its in an international long-term issue that more then likely serves no purpose to worry about. I say leave it to the scientists!!

Old 02-27-2007, 04:15 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
they care more(though i doubt they truly care) about global warming than poverty, racism, crime and deviant behavior in our society, violence, AIDS, cancer.

this crazy nutter Gore thought he invented the internet and now he thinks he founded global warming

Old 02-27-2007, 04:30 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
again, thats what they said in the early 70s about a coming global ice age and global cooling.
Do you also only follow medical research from the early 70’s? If you have a serious medical condition, do you tell your doctor “hey, just do what they did in the early 70’s”.

Are you aware that science, unlike people, are continually researching in their respective fields. Have you heard there have been advancements in science and technology that enables scientist to get more accurate information. Are you aware of the number of satellites that have been put in space to help study the atmosphere that weren’t there in the early 70’s? Maybe you should hear what the current scientist say since they have been researching global climate changes.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I have to agree its a shame that people worry more about global warming then they do about the economy in their community, poverty and things they can change locally with-in their own communities.
How do you know that they don’t also do that? Unless that is only an opinion, is there a study that shows people only can focus their efforts in one cause? So are you saying that you can’t inform people about global climate changes and work at the local level to improve your community at the same time? So I should stop volunteering at my kid’s school and attending local city council meetings because I need to only direct my efforts on one issue? What’s multi-tasking mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Some people seem to worry about ecological blueprints, global warming and rising sea levels (1 foot every 100 years maybe) when the fact is its in an international long-term issue that more then likely serves no purpose to worry about. I say leave it to the scientists!!
It’s too bad that some people worry about future generations. When will they ever learn to just be selfish and only think about themselves.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 02-27-2007 at 04:45 PM..

Old 02-27-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
they care more(though i doubt they truly care) about global warming than poverty, racism, crime and deviant behavior in our society, violence, AIDS, cancer.
Yeah, just like conservatives only care more about war, creationism, and marriage amendments. So who is they? Hmm, who seems to be wanting to provide more money and research into solving poverty, racism, crime, violence, aids, cancer, isnt it the liberals? I wont comment on the “deviant behavior” since I know that is conservative slang for homosexuals.

What’s wrong with focusing attention to global climate changes?

Quote:
this crazy nutter Gore thought he invented the internet and now he thinks he founded global warming
You should research even this tidbit of information. He never “thought” he invented it, he actually assisted in it’s expanded creation to what we know of the internet due to appropriations and funding that help expand the network. But that entails researching to understand. Just like understanding global climate changes requires research to understand.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:44 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Science won't be the same in 100 years, 50 years, or even 20 years. If any problems arise,(a big if) it's likely solutions will be invented or maybe even available by then.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Science won't be the same in 100 years, 50 years, or even 20 years. If any problems arise,(a big if) it's likely solutions will be invented or maybe even available by then.
Hopefully we will not have lost several species of animals or plants by then.
They thought the passenger pigeon, the English wolf, the Dodo, the Tasmanian wolf and many many other animals would last forever. Now they are extinct.

Those drowned polar bears are for real.

The scientists believe drownings are becoming widespread across the Arctic, an inevitable consequence of the doubling in the past 20 years of the proportion of polar bears having to swim in open seas.In Hudson Bay, Canada, the site of the most southerly polar bears, a study by the US Geological Survey (USGS) and the Canadian Wildlife Service to be published next year will show the population fell 22% from 1,194 in 1987 to 935 last year.

New evidence from field researchers working for the World Wildlife Fund in Yakutia, on the northeast coast of Russia, has also shown the region’s first evidence of cannibalism among bears competing for food supplies.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle767459.ece

Old 02-27-2007, 05:36 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Hopefully we will not have lost several species of animals or plants by then.
They thought the passenger pigeon, the English wolf, the Dodo, the Tasmanian wolf and many many other animals would last forever. Now they are extinct.

Those drowned polar bears are for real.

The scientists believe drownings are becoming widespread across the Arctic, an inevitable consequence of the doubling in the past 20 years of the proportion of polar bears having to swim in open seas.In Hudson Bay, Canada, the site of the most southerly polar bears, a study by the US Geological Survey (USGS) and the Canadian Wildlife Service to be published next year will show the population fell 22% from 1,194 in 1987 to 935 last year.

New evidence from field researchers working for the World Wildlife Fund in Yakutia, on the northeast coast of Russia, has also shown the region’s first evidence of cannibalism among bears competing for food supplies.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle767459.ece
Species come and go, as they always have. Losing a few here and there hasn't been shown to be detrimental to the Earth yet.

There's no doubt the glaciers have been melting recently. But, the question is why? Is it from human affects on the environment or the Earth's natural cycle, as it has done before.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:16 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
I'm just very surprised at the attitudes of:
1. "I don't care what happens, I just don't want to hear about it"
2. "It's all made up"
3. "It's true, but it's not a big deal"
4. "It's true, it might kill us all, but it's not really my problem"
or the strangest of all:
5. "Let's ignore all scientific evidence telling us what processes are occuring, and just see what happens"

I'm sure there are some good reasons to ignore global warming, but nobody in this thread has provided any.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
There's no doubt the glaciers have been melting recently. But, the question is why? Is it from human affects on the environment or the Earth's natural cycle, as it has done before.
Very interesting, you like to ask the question but you “immediately” disregard the answers as you suspect they may be “political” and disregard the reports because you “believe” them to wrong. Why even bother asking the question if you don’t want to hear the replies from scientists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies