Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Yes he was a slave owner, but he was also an Abolitionist. And don't forget that he was the first slave owner to let his slaves to make money from the nails they use to make and extra crops they grew at Monticello his home in Virginia. Go see it if you ever get a chance, its beautiful.

Oh, and when he died at Monticello (the same day his best friend John Adams did on 4 July), Thomas Jefferson was all but broke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I find it really interesting that Jeffersonians like to esteem TJ as if he were a god who walked among us yet fail to acknowledge his MAJOR character and morality flaws.

He was a hypocrite.

1) A large slaveholder writing at length about the "freedoms of man" who (unlike many of his position and social standing at the time) did not free his slaves upon his death.

2) Kept a mistress who was his slave (his property) and fathered several children by her (DNA results have proven this to be fact)

3) Broke treaties with Native American nations whenever it suited American interests
I think your correct in your thinking that slavery was wrong, even for a man the held such a high office and the "Whit House" was built by slaves. But you should look at the simple way of thinking those folks back then lived by.
I would contribute most, if not all of the stength that the south has today to the slaves hard work of back then. Slave owner were just lazy people that didn't want to do the work themselve, or pay folks to do the job. Greedy lazy people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I don't know why I have to keep posting this over and over again. If you want to quote Jefferson, get your quotes from authoritative sources, and don't just keep repasting conservative blogs. If you want us to believe that Jefferson ever said any of these things, go back and find the document in which he said or wrote them, and reference the source. You can't just quote Sean Hannity and then say it was Jefferson, not Hannity.

]He never said that

From Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki...cease_to_exist

The following quotation is often attributed to Thomas Jefferson:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

No evidence has been found that Jefferson ever wrote this. The concept of taxing income was not unknown to Jefferson, but his writings on the topic of taxation indicate that he viewed taxation generally as a source of revenue for the government.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-02-2008 at 09:41 AM..

Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of his quote... his slaves did a lot of the work - he didn't.

He forced others to work for him, yet decries those who don't work from taking from those who do...
Oh, so he didn't toil away on his fields right along with his slaves? He just sat back and drank brandy while watching them...right?

While people today shirk in horror at the thought of slavery it is a fact of human nature and still exists today. Many people during the Colonial period owned slaves...and many of the slaves accepted it. In fact, once freed most stayed on with the family they worked for...and a large portion of them were treated like a part of the family. It is only the revisionists of history that wish you to believe all slave owners were affluent white males that whipped their slaves into submission.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
You're not alone in your assessment...

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm sure I'm in the minority but I find him one of the most horrific people and president.

I'm of Native American ancestry, you might want to read what he did to my ancestors before you start spouting what a wonderful brilliant president he was.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:01 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
You're not alone in your assessment...

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
OMG, he turned the country around from the damage that Adams had done to it. One of the greatest Presidents EVER.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:07 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
^In your opinion - I don't agree.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
While Thomas Jefferson did indeed own slaves, he didn't buy them, he inherited them from his father. Thomas Jefferson and George Mason (another Virginia slave owner) were the biggest abolitionists of their day, even before the word was coined. Virginia law at the time prohibited Jefferson from freeing his slaves. Even when he was broke, Jefferson never sold any of his slaves. He cared for them until his death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies