Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:13 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Trumps,Hiltons,etc can afford it after all its not like they contribute .
Really? Should I head down to the Las Vegas Hilton and ask them just how many hundreds of jobs they're not contributing to society?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 04:54 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So...what's wrong with requiring people to pay their way in life?

I missed the part of the Constitution that said the government was responsible for redistributing my property to another...
What's wrong with the affluent paying their fair-share so that the needy are given a safety net (they're not being made whole - just prevented from living in abject poverty).

Guess you are going to have to get used to parting with some of your wealth, MamaBee....

Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
What's wrong with the affluent paying their fair-share so that the needy are given a safety net (they're not being made whole - just prevented from living in abject poverty).

Guess you are going to have to get used to parting with some of your wealth, MamaBee....
By the exact same measure, it could be surmised that you're wanting to get something for nothing. Kind of a sponge.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
By the exact same measure, it could be surmised that you're wanting to get something for nothing. Kind of a sponge.
I would guess that he's not in poverty since he has easy internet access.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I would guess that he's not in poverty since he has easy internet access.
That could be. But people who have top-end cable TV (and 4 TVs in the house), cars, computers and kitchens full of food are usually the ones who claim they're poor. Poverty is often defined as "Anything less than having everything I want."

Old 12-01-2008, 05:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If y'all knew how most people abuse the medicaid system (including demanding prescriptions for over-the-counter medicines so they can use their 3 dollars to buy cigs instead; showing up in the ED instead of their designated doctor's office b/c they 'don't want to wait 2 hours,' etc), you wouldn't have too much trouble with this.
If we abolished every program that had a few abusers, there would be no roads and no schools and no Pentagon. Be careful how yo throw around the word "most". Your wild and out-of-control brush is tarring an awful lot of people, but of course you can throw stones, you've never padded an expense account or ordered anything by mail order to avoid paying sales tax, or neglected to mention a casual earning on your income tax. You're right in there with "most people", buster.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
The rich dont serve in the military -
I will dispute your comment above - I personally know a number of "rich" people who are serving (and dying - Pat Tillman)

You are wrong

Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post

Wealth? I am far from wealthy. If you fail to see what's wrong with government-sanctioned theft so the "needy" have a safety net there's no getting through to you.

Who is to decide what is a fair share? Who is to decide who has to much and who needs more?

I will not "get used to" theft of my property, be it from my government or a common criminal.

"I swear -- by my life and my love of it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I swear -- by my life and my love of it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
You need to go live on a mountaintop in Tibet. There is no place else that will suit you...

And for all you Jeffersonian Patriots out there...
Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, &c., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings.
-- Thomas Jefferson on taxing the rich [Letter to Kosciusko, 1811]

Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
It is very likely if you are rich, you are probably utilizing more of the roads, bridges and sewers with more and larger vehicles and houses with multiple bathrooms than a poorer person. You are most likely spewing out more pollution from your cars, planes and boats. Pay your fair share into the country that allowed you to attain and keep your wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies