Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:09 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx08 View Post
They never wanted to admit it till now. Like we didn't already know.
See above - you're another typical sheep that throws around these terms, claiming other people are lying about them, and you don't even know what they mean yourself.

Words have definitions. You should know what they are before using them, especially if you're going to make accusations with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
I notice that our commercial media almost refuses to make any mention of the following.

That former chief economist of the World Bank, Joseph Stiglitz, not only declared the US economy already in recession some time ago but that
the Nobel-prize winning economist also cited the $3 trillion cost of the Iraq war as a key factor in the economic downturn. He also stated that it had increased the budget deficit and consumed resources that would otherwise promote growth.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why not? 9/11 has been blamed on Bush, despite his only being in office 8 months and the 5 terror attacks that took place under Clinton's watch that he did virtually nothing about.

If the left wants to remain consistent, then yes, Obama should be blamed. If they're actually interested in truth and facts (which they're not, unless the truth helps their position or the facts can be misrepresented to do so), then they should look to Clinton for 9/11 and again for laying the foundation for the mortgage mess. You won't see that, though. Nope. It's Bush's fault - everything is Bush's fault. The man was blamed for a hurricane, for goodness sake.
Bush had been in office for several months before 9/11 happened and while he was in office there were many warnings that were IGNORED. Obama isn't even in office yet.
On the other hand the right has been blaming Clinton for 9/11 the whole time... so it goes both ways.
Bush has been in office for 8 years and a fine mess he is leaving us in. I pity Obama.

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I notice that our commercial media almost refuses to make any mention of the following.

That former chief economist of the World Bank, Joseph Stiglitz, not only declared the US economy already in recession some time ago but that
the Nobel-prize winning economist also cited the $3 trillion cost of the Iraq war as a key factor in the economic downturn. He also stated that it had increased the budget deficit and consumed resources that would otherwise promote growth.
TRUE. On this forum this topic has been brought up many times.. each time those that said we are in a recession are labeled as pessimists and worse.

I think we are realists.

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-01-2008, 07:40 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I notice that our commercial media almost refuses to make any mention of the following. That former chief economist of the World Bank, Joseph Stiglitz, not only declared the US economy already in recession some time ago but that the Nobel-prize winning economist also cited the $3 trillion cost of the Iraq war as a key factor in the economic downturn. He also stated that it had increased the budget deficit and consumed resources that would otherwise promote growth.
Agree. Been a part of my mindset for over 40 years now.

Catonsville Community College, Fall 1966, Economics 101 with Mr. Foss: Can NOT have both guns and butter at same time.

From my posting on the same topic in the Elections Forum: I went to see an economist speak in Denver, FOURTEEN months ago, and SHE was right on the money at THAT time that we were in recession THEN. Where has the NBER been for a year? My full report of that briefing is found at: - //www.city-data.com/forum/color...on#post1622419

For more on the predictions that came true, see: //www.city-data.com/forum/1003075-post16.html

Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
It's a decline in GDP for 2+ quarters.
The only reason GDP and consumer spending didn't fall until recently was because gas was $4 a gallon - people spent less on everything less but gas and yet we weren't offically in a recession BS

I think the definition of a recession should be 2 consequtive months with 100,000 or more jobs lost

Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
TRUE. On this forum this topic has been brought up many times.. each time those that said we are in a recession are labeled as pessimists and worse.

I think we are realists.
I actually mentioned the Iraq war thing on this forum and got flack for it, so it's good to see that I have some proof now.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Why not? 9/11 has been blamed on Bush, despite his only being in office 8 months and the 5 terror attacks that took place under Clinton's watch that he did virtually nothing about.

If the left wants to remain consistent, then yes, Obama should be blamed. If they're actually interested in truth and facts (which they're not, unless the truth helps their position or the facts can be misrepresented to do so), then they should look to Clinton for 9/11 and again for laying the foundation for the mortgage mess. You won't see that, though. Nope. It's Bush's fault - everything is Bush's fault. The man was blamed for a hurricane, for goodness sake.
So much wisdom..........so few who will read it.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post

I think we are realists.

Many people saw what was happening and acted on it. Others wait for the government to "tell" them it's happening.

The stimulus checks fluffed up the GDP numbers which would have put us in an "official" recession months ago.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,684 times
Watch Congressman Ron Paul school Chairman Bernanke about the current account imbalances. Bernanke admits and just about shiate bricks.

YouTube - Congressman Ron Paul Schools Bernanke on the Bailout Plan

YouTube - Ron Paul questions Bernanke about world currency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies