Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:13 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,925,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Hey...I'm in Kendall too. Actually, aside from the shooting of that armored car guard today, our area is generally very safe. Miami as a whole is deceptive though -- especially to a visitor. You come here for the first time & see palm trees and the whole "tropical" look, yet looks can be deceiving and if you don't know where you're going / happen to get lost, it's extremely easy to stray into a very bad neighborhood.

Personally though, I have never had a problem here. My biggest gripe is with the drivers here and that's an issue that I wish law enforcement would crack down on with a vengeance.
FHP troopers are paid the least of any state law enforcement officers in the country. Try living on $38,000 a year in Miami with no prospect of ever getting a raise, and you'll see why FHP troopers try avoiding getting assigned to Miami. This is why N. FL (low cost of living, hence desirable assignment) has much better traffic enforcement than S Florida. Traffic is FHP's resopnsibility and they have serious manpower problems in S Florida.

To stay on topic.... the immigrants as a whole didn't ruin Miami. The criminals (immigrant and natural born), incompetent politicians and greedy real estate developers and executives did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:17 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
nope wealthy educationed elite cubans, the miami boys made florida.
what ruined florida was castro emptying the jail cells putting them in boats and sailing them to us.
and the federal government letting it happen just like they are doing now with mexico.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:22 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,977,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I was just kidding about the drivers (sorta) lol. Just seems everytime I'm behidn someone going 35 in a 55, that person is Haitian! And it doesn't help that I live about two blocks from a Haitian Church!
How can you tell that they're Haitian?

There are African-Americans and black Cubans, too.

Sounds like ignorant stereotyping to me.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,321,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack the ripper View Post
Miami was ranked #1 as the US city with the worst drivers, so yea...lol.

Miami has been ranked worse drivers ,most aggressive reckless drivers 2 consecutive years prior .Think this yr we are in second place .

NOTHING will change with the current useless politicians.
I believe most in S.Florida must hate their family and themselves thus vote for the same politicians who do NOTHING about the huge numbers of dangerous drivers.

Lack of action speaks louder than empty speeches and since nothing is ever done IMO only a self defeating person would vote for the incumbents .

Old 12-02-2008, 02:39 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,321,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
FHP troopers are paid the least of any state law enforcement officers in the country. Try living on $38,000 a year in Miami with no prospect of ever getting a raise, and you'll see why FHP troopers try avoiding getting assigned to Miami. This is why N. FL (low cost of living, hence desirable assignment) has much better traffic enforcement than S Florida. Traffic is FHP's resopnsibility and they have serious manpower problems in S Florida.

To stay on topic.... the immigrants as a whole didn't ruin Miami. The criminals (immigrant and natural born), incompetent politicians and greedy real estate developers and executives did.
---------------

I dont find the politicians incompetent . I wish that was the case. I find them mostly corrupt parasites who truly couldnt care less about anyone but themselves.

I call them the S.Florida political Cosa Nostra because it is "this thing of ours".

Last edited by Luiso; 12-02-2008 at 02:53 AM..

Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
nope wealthy educationed elite cubans, the miami boys made florida.
what ruined florida was castro emptying the jail cells putting them in boats and sailing them to us.
and the federal government letting it happen just like they are doing now with mexico.
That's actually true, castro forced the good people to take 25,000 criminals.

some of those 25,000 got into the cocaine business with the colombians and ended up being in jail, or dead.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,279,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
How can you tell that they're Haitian?

There are African-Americans and black Cubans, too.

Sounds like ignorant stereotyping to me.

No, um, see, those of us in the "real world" who aren't bothered by political correct nonsense can easily spot a Haitian amongst a crowd of African Americans or black Cubans. It's actually one of the benefits of living in a culturally, racially, and ethnically diverse area. You get to know your neighbors.

First of all, Haitians, because they threw off their European overlords years before others, tend to be darker than African Americans by a lot. Very African looking. They're also the prime buyers of late 80s and early 90s Hondas and Toyota Corollas, make up a huge segment of the taxi driving population, and, oh yeah, they go to the Haitian church. Their mannerisms and dress, if they are recent immigrants, also tend to be different than African Americans or second generation Haitians.

Don't worry, I can usually spot a Brit in Orlando vs. a German as well. It's a "look" lol.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Miami has been ranked worse drivers ,most aggressive reckless drivers 2 consecutive years prior .Think this yr we are in second place .

NOTHING will change with the current useless politicians.
I believe most in S.Florida must hate their family and themselves thus vote for the same politicians who do NOTHING about the huge numbers of dangerous drivers.

Lack of action speaks louder than empty speeches and since nothing is ever done IMO only a self defeating person would vote for the incumbents .

Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
$38K a year to go try and put down armed drug gangs and try and enforce driving laws? Where do I sign up to get the first bus out of Miami? Absurd.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,688,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack the ripper View Post
Dude, miami is ALMOST a run down ghetto, neighborhoods like little havana, little haiti, overtown, liberty city and lemon city are all but torned down (little havana is on its way).

I'm glad the SW part of miami (westchester,west miami,kendall) isn't.
And who lives in Westchester and West Miami? The old timers, that wonderful generation of Cubans that migrated to Miami during the 60's. Those are the ones that made Miami what it is now. Then came the other wave of Cubans in the 80's and now the balseros and others, and those have destroyed paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies