Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 07:54 PM

161 posts, read 683,289 times

Advertisements

Recently my husband and I and three children decided to jump off the treadmill, cash out and move to North Carolina. The living is easier, better value for housing, utilities are 1/3rd to 1/2 less. The colleges, schools and job markets are better than we even thought. It is so surprising that Long Island used to be like this 20 years ago. It's like turning the clock back.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:28 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsprufera View Post
Recently my husband and I and three children decided to jump off the treadmill, cash out and move to North Carolina. The living is easier, better value for housing, utilities are 1/3rd to 1/2 less. The colleges, schools and job markets are better than we even thought. It is so surprising that Long Island used to be like this 20 years ago. It's like turning the clock back.
Oh yea, as in the James Taylor song I'm always "Go'n to Carolina In My Mind"
I do LOVE North Carolina and would love to live there, but we're now thinking of East Tenn instead because of the taxes. Did you get jobs first? I envy you

Old 02-26-2007, 08:55 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
always Carolina Dreamin Bawby!!!

rice and gravy

shrimp and grits

gamecocks football

sunday suppers on church ground

South CArolina Dreamin for sure

Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Hop on the bus and come on down then. When you see your neighbor leave tomorrow morning, just follow them on down here with the rest of NY. You will be shocked to find out how many transplants there are here now. I live north of Charlotte in the Lake norman area, where people here my southern accent and look at me like I dont belong here.

If you move to the Raleigh or Charlotte areas, you can scratch off the slower paced life and low cost of living from your list. It is growing so fast here it is unbelievable. I notice when people move to NC from NY or NJ they actually do save money here, but they cancel that out by buying a big house, new car, and before you know it they are caught right back up in it.

'Keeping up with the Jones' is very true in these places.

The true lower cost of living and easier living is off in the country away from the major NC cities.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,476 times
I love the way that people from Raleigh or Charlotte ignore the other large metro area in N.C. It's a very common thing to hear about the "two cities to choose between when moving to N.C." But I guess that's part of the quiet, classy image of the Triad.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:02 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Which part of North Carolina is the liberal part?

Old 02-27-2007, 03:10 AM

I don't know if there is a certain part that is particularly liberal or conservative...people of both mind sets live everywhere. I usually think that larger cities are home to more liberal thinking people, but smaller cities are as well along with university towns. I guess liberals are more drawn to urban life? Liberal areas in N.C. - Asheville, Charlotte, the Triad, the Triangle, Wilmington. I haven't spent much time in any other cities so I don't really know other than these.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 PM

"In my mind I'm gone to Carolina. Can't you see the sunshine...can't you just feel the moonshine."

I'll be there in 3 weeks.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:

While it’s still fresh in your mind.
Write down the bad things about the place you left.
Write down the things about NC that you like.

Place this list in a conspicuous place where you can periodically re-read to keep it fresh.
Place the list in front of you when you are reviewing your voting ballot and make sure you don’t vote for something that will turn NC into the place you left.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
"In my mind I'm gone to Carolina. Can't you see the sunshine...can't you just feel the moonshine."

I'll be there in 3 weeks.
Lucky you!!!!!! Where are you going? We were in Maggie Valley for two weeks in Jan and loved it! Have a good time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies