U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM

31 posts, read 27,486 times

Advertisements

Wow, just when you think that so many priests in the US Church are liberal theologians or homosexuals/pedophiles we find one that is moral and courageous.

Quote:
Catholic priest urges parishioners who voted for Obama to go to confession - State/Nation/World - Belleville News Democrat (http://www.bnd.com/news/state/story/559451.html - broken link)

Father Joseph Illo, pastor of St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Modesto, Calif., has told parishioners in a homily and in a follow-up letter that if they voted for Barack Obama, they should consider going to confession because of the president-elect's pro-abortion position.

"If you are one of the 54 percent of Catholics who voted for a pro-abortion candidate, you were clear on his position and you knew the gravity of the question, I urge you to go to confession before receiving communion. Don't risk losing your state of grace by receiving sacrilegiously," Illo wrote in a letter dated Nov. 21.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,735,519 times
As well they should. they voted for a guy that supports that which the church considers evil (abortion).

If you want to be part of the club, you should live by the rules.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM

6,839 posts, read 12,173,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmcw View Post
Wow, just when you think that so many priests in the US Church are liberal theologians or homosexuals/pedophiles we find one that is moral and courageous.

[url="http://www.bnd.com/news/state/story/559451.html"]
Sounds like to me this priest needs to smacked around a few times, he's no better than any other human, the child molester. If the church allowed him to send out that letter, then they just crossed the line of "seperation of church and state". Now the whole catholic church system should be made to pay taxes to include back taxes. The idiots!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:28 PM

386 posts, read 646,619 times
Well, that's enough evidence for me. Revoke the Roman Catholic Church's 501(c)(3) status and require back payments of income taxes with interest. If it fails to pay within 48 hours, I say seize its assets and auction them off.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:28 PM

8,346 posts, read 6,739,015 times
I personally don't see anything wrong with this, as it IS against the Catholic faith to hold a pro-abortion stance. Now, I'm all for abortion (at all stages and with no restrictions), but I respect other's opinions and religious feelings.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I personally don't see anything wrong with this, as it IS against the Catholic faith to hold a pro-abortion stance. Now, I'm all for abortion (at all stages and with no restrictions), but I respect other's opinions and religious feelings.
I don't really care what the Catholic faith says, but it's against IRS tax code for a non-profit entity to condemn or endorse a politician.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM

6,839 posts, read 12,173,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
Well, that's enough evidence for me. Revoke the Roman Catholic Church's 501(c)(3) status and require back payments of income taxes with interest. If it fails to pay within 48 hours, I say seize its assets and auction them off.
I like the way you think . There job is to teach the Bible, and "they do very little of that anyway", nothing else should be coming out of thier pie holes . God gave one thing to man that we need to learn to use without exception (FREE WILL). So for all you churches out there, (SHUT UP)!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:39 PM

594 posts, read 1,003,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
I don't really care what the Catholic faith says, but it's against IRS tax code for a non-profit entity to condemn or endorse a politician.
Not true. It just "may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates." That first part is where the LDS is in hot water.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:43 PM

34,968 posts, read 37,607,795 times
This sore loser's church will be paying taxes from 2009 onward (or, in a just world it would be) in exchange for an ignorant, spiteful outburst. Electing PaleoMcCain wouldn't have ended abortion, it only would have enabled 3rd-trimester ABs and a host of new horrors. There go X-tens of thousands of dollars off to the godless government every year, and for what?

The Republican Party has got to cut the strings with the Religious Right.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Not true. It just "may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates." That first part is where the LDS is in hot water.
Is that true? So this priest didnt endanger his church's tax status?

Old 12-02-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
That too, but also, it may not endorse or condemn politicians.

The Restriction of Political Campaign Intervention by Section 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Organizations (http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=163395,00.html - broken link)
Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity. Violating this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes.
I would say that saying, "if you vote for this person, you need to come to confession" would constitute a "public statement of position ... in opposition to any candidate for public office".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies