Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 PM

223 posts, read 538,120 times

Advertisements

It's not rocket science!! As the original poster stated, and research will show, there are more poor whites in this country than there are poor blacks or other minorities. So being poor is NOT the common denominator some make out that it is. Another point not often stated is why do some people in a family commit crimes and others in the same family not commit them??? Is it because the criminal was denied something and the other kids were lavished???? I doubt it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
It's not rocket science. They have less money so they suffer more.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I believe their kids prefer gunning down their classmates, friends and family.

Monday's campus shooting at Virginia Tech was the deadliest in U.S. history. Here, a list of other fatal shootings that have occurred at U.S. colleges and universities over the past several decades:

April 16, 2007: A gunman kills more than 30 people in a dorm and a classroom at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va.

Sept. 2, 2006: Douglas W. Pennington, 49, kills himself and his two sons, Logan P. Pennington, 26, and Benjamin M. Pennington, 24, during a visit to the campus of Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, W.Va.

Aug. 28, 2000: James Easton Kelly, 36, a University of Arkansas graduate student recently dropped from a doctoral program after a decade of study, and John Locke, 67, the English professor overseeing his coursework, are shot to death in an apparent murder-suicide.

Aug. 15, 1996: Frederick Martin Davidson, 36, a graduate engineering student at San Diego State, is defending his thesis before a faculty committee when he pulls out a handgun and kills three professors.

Aug. 1, 1966: Charles Whitman points a rifle from the observation deck of the University of Texas at Austin's Tower and begins shooting in a homicidal rampage that goes on for 96 minutes. Sixteen people are killed, including his wife and mother, who were shot the night before; 31 others are wounded.
You had to go all the way back to the 60's to get enough examples? Besides, the VT killer wasn't white, he was Korean.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM

223 posts, read 538,120 times
This is your argument?? ROFLMAO....nobody but you is talking about the early 20th century, and it's not every stinking day that you turn on the TV and hear about serial killers or child molesters! On the other hand, it is every day, at least in my area, where "boyz in the hood" are raping, killing, robbing, etc.

You need to try to dream up some better arguments....of course it doesn't matter if they are viable or not. And if you can't get better arguments, then just criticize and call names...that always seems to work when no evidence exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Did Italians and Irish count as minorities in the early 20th century?

Why are White Americans more likely to be a serial killer or child molester? Is that cultural as well?

Not trying to offend, as you may be trying, but did you ever think about that?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Oh that is such total BS. The police are there because there is more of a reason for them to be there. No crime, no police.
It's not BS, it's a fact. It's a scenario that plays over and over again. If you commit a crime, you should do the time. It doesn't play out like that all the time though. The urban black kid who steals a car with no prior record. Possibly gets a misdemeanor or a felony conviction. The white suburban kid who steals a car (i.e. a joy ride) parent shows up or their lawyer shows up, and says that he's a good kid, made a mistake and it won't happen again, nothing goes on his record. Same offense, different results.

Obviously this scenario plays out because of what an earlier poster said. Often times it's a matter the legal council you can buy vs. what's offered by the courts. I'd assure you the numbers would change if everyone had to use a public defender vs. private council.

All that to say is that contributes to the problem. However there *is* a problem with the demographic of urban black males 18-26 from fatherless homes. It is an across the board crisis with this group and the problem is getting worse.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
It's not BS, it's a fact. It's a scenario that plays over and over again. If you commit a crime, you should do the time. It doesn't play out like that all the time though. The urban black kid who steals a car with no prior record. Possibly gets a misdemeanor or a felony conviction. The white suburban kid who steals a car (i.e. a joy ride) parent shows up or their lawyer shows up, and says that he's a good kid, made a mistake and it won't happen again, nothing goes on his record. Same offense, different results.

Obviously this scenario plays out because of what an earlier poster said. Often times it's a matter the legal council you can buy vs. what's offered by the courts. I'd assure you the numbers would change if everyone had to use a public defender vs. private council.

All that to say is that contributes to the problem. However there *is* a problem with the demographic of urban black males 18-26 from fatherless homes. It is an across the board crisis with this group and the problem is getting worse.
i respectfully disagree. the focus of your post is on the punishment.
the crime was not caused by the police.
we can agree that black youth is in a crisis. the culture of disrespect is not working. time out, confinment incarceration or whatever we have devised as a substitute for punishment, is not working.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,195 times
Education is highly correlative to low crime.

Our education system is very white-oriented, mostly because of language issues, but also because teachers (and humans) tend to see things from their own personal perspective, and most teachers are white. Going through teaching certification myself, I had to take a "multicultural education" class, and a big part of it was equity vs. equality (giving individuals what they specifically need vs. giving everyone the exact same thing).

Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 AM

12 posts, read 18,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Our education system is very white-oriented, mostly because of language issues, but also because teachers (and humans) tend to see things from their own personal perspective, and most teachers are white.
MY GOD. The level of anti-White racism is out of control!!!

What an ingrate.

Here we have nice White girls, bending over backwards, with plenty of (naive) altruism to teach the Negroes in the urban areas......and what thanks do they get?

Nothing, but a bigoted comment like the above. Rest assured, as time goes by, no White father is going to be foolish enough to let his daughter bother to teach a bunch of White-hating racists, ingrates, violent thug punks, and intractable America haters.

You guys get great teachers, right out of the best IL colleges, and then complain because they are "White"?

What a joke. Move to Zimbabwe already. See if the quality of teacher is any better. Let's see what a racist "afro-centric" curriculum teaches them.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRothport View Post
MY GOD. The level of anti-White racism is out of control!!!

What an ingrate.

Here we have nice White girls, bending over backwards, with plenty of (naive) altruism to teach the Negroes in the urban areas......and what thanks do they get?

Nothing, but a bigoted comment like the above. Rest assured, as time goes by, no White father is going to be foolish enough to let his daughter bother to teach a bunch of
You guys get great teachers, right out of the best IL colleges, and then complain because they are "White"?

What a joke. Move to Zimbabwe already. See if the quality of teacher is any better. Let's see what a racist "afro-centric" curriculum teaches them.
You have no idea what I was saying. Your statement humors me as incredibly ironic, you calling me a bigot in that same post that you call "Negroes in urban areas...White-hating racists, ingrates, violent thug punks, and intractable America haters."

The point of my post, if you would calm yourself to comprehend, is that people view things from points of view that are influenced by their own cultures. All the good teachers overcome this, but it is still human nature.

What do you think would happen if an American kid went to Zimbabwe and was taught with an "afro-centric" curriculum? If he struggles with the language, he will have more trouble learning compared to the students born in the culture. And no doubt the teacher would be better at teaching kids from his own culture than another culture that he doesn't understand as well. It's human nature to know your own culture more than others'.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jward001 View Post
Why do minorities commit more crimes than whites in raw numbers and as a percentage? The usual argument of "well, minorities are poorer" cannot be applied, because there are more poor whites than blacks and Hispanics combined. Is the problem 'cultural'?

Crime - Minorities As Offenders
Because white people are inherently more civilized, didn't you know?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterserv View Post
This is your argument?? ROFLMAO....nobody but you is talking about the early 20th century, and it's not every stinking day that you turn on the TV and hear about serial killers or child molesters! On the other hand, it is every day, at least in my area, where "boyz in the hood" are raping, killing, robbing, etc.
Haha, Boyz in the Hood?

Dude, your perception of black male culture expired in 1991!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.