Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well then I guess a woman has the right to kill her baby after birth then by that logic. Since the man is legally obligated I would think he has a right to terminte the birht too;since its half his.
Nope. Read prior posts.

Once a man can carry the fetus himself, I have no problem giving him the choice.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I guess I find the idea of a right being restricted(especially one so personal as abortion) when it has NO bearing upon society at all odd.

There is no logical reason behind viability entering into the equation of a womans right to have an abortion,this is the womans right,not the baby or society's.
You are trolling. Any society has an interest in it's future survival and growth, so clearly the welfare of children and babies has bearing upon a society. Viability has been determined by our society as the tipping point when that fetus becomes of interest to the society. So our society has passed rules to balance the rights of the mother against not the baby's rights but against society's rights to have an interest in the welfare of that fetus.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Since the man is legally obligated I would think he has a right to terminte the birht too;since its half his.
Well this seems to be obvious to anyone who knows how babies come about....but is lost on those who support abortion.

They also demand the man pays regardless of whether he wanted the child or not.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You are trolling. Any society has an interest in it's future survival and growth, so clearly the welfare of children and babies has bearing upon a society. Viability has been determined by our society as the tipping point when that fetus becomes of interest to the society. So our society has passed rules to balance the rights of the mother against not the baby's rights but against society's rights to have an interest in the welfare of that fetus.
If a society had in interest in it's future survival and growth,it would of course ban ALL abortions...

Now as to viability,it has already been established babies are viable into the second trimester,this woudl then using your logic mean restricting abortion even further.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
If a society had in interest in it's future survival and growth,it would of course ban ALL abortions...

Now as to viability,it has already been established babies are viable into the second trimester,this woudl then using your logic mean restricting abortion even further.
The Medical Community has determined viability to be 24 weeks.

I will go with their opinion rather than yours.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The Medical Community has determined viability to be 24 weeks.

I will go with their opinion rather than yours.
Please provide a cite where the medical community has delcared 24 weeks as THE viable age of a baby.

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Pointless thread.

Another example of people wanting to push their religious beliefs onto everyone else.
One has to be religious to be against abortion? I'm not religious in any way whatsoever and I'm appalled at even the thought of abortion.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:

You are the one employing faulty logic here. A society's future survival and growth doesn't depend on every potential child being born. China and it's policies clearly demonstrate that economic and social success are more complex than mere population growth, and that societies do take an interest and make policy regarding population growth with an eye toward how that population will effect it's future success. And I agree with you, logically, as medical advances are made, abortion will be further restricted as viability is rendered at earlier and earlier points in a pregnancy.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 AM

I found this:

Quote:
Viability is a medical, not a legal term. The point of viability varies with each pregnancy and must be determined by physicians on a case-by-case basis, as recognized by the Supreme Court in cases since ROE.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Please provide a cite where the medical community has delcared 24 weeks as THE viable age of a baby.

Thanks.
I will reword my statement to include "Viability for the purposes of abortion".

24 weeks is the standard, but it can vary from State to State and on a case by case basis.

Quote:
PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF CENTRAL MISSOURI V. DANFORTH(1) (1976) and COLAUTTI V. FRANKLIN(2) (1979), the Supreme Court made clear that viability is a medical determination, which varies with each pregnancy, and that it is the responsibility of the attending physician to make that determination.
Quote:
* A fetus is viable when it reaches an "anatomical threshold" when critical organs, such as the lungs and kidneys, can sustain independent life. Until the air sacs are mature enough to permit gases to pass into and out of the bloodstream, which is extremely unlikely until at least 23 weeks gestation (from last menstrual period), a fetus cannot be sustained even with a respirator, which can force air into the lungs but cannot pass gas from the lungs into the bloodstream.

-4. Amicus Brief of the American Medical Association, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, American Fertility Society, American Medical Women's Association, American Psychiatric Association, and American Society of Human Genetics, for WEBSTER V. REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH SERVICES, No. 88-605, October Term, 1988, p. 7.
Quote:
* While medical advances have increased the survival of infants born between 24 and 28 weeks of gestation, the point of viability has moved little over the past decade; at the earliest, it remains at approximately 24 weeks, where it was when the Supreme Court decided Roe -- a fact acknowledged by the court in its recent decision in PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA V. CASEY.(5) A study of infant survival by researchers at Case Western Reserve University Medical School found that the rate of survival for infants born before 25 weeks gestation has not improved appreciably in recent years.(6)
Quote:
* According to a brief submitted to the Supreme Court in WEBSTER V. REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH SERVICES(7) by more than 150 distinguished scientists and physicians, "There are no medical developments anticipated in the foreseeable future that would bring about adequate fetal lung function prior to 23 or 24 weeks of gestation."(8)
8. Amicus Brief of 167 Distinguished Scientists and Physicians, Including 11 Nobel Laureates, for WEBSTER V. REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH SERVICES, No. 88-605, October Term, 1988, p. 11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies