Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:37 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
And they should get the money too. If the those morons in our nations capital can think of give money to the big three junk car companies, well then they can give money to a really needed program (SCHOOLS).
schools are getting big money now. here is just one article:

Big money goes to school

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund's aim to raise the number of Hispanic graduates from 9% to 18% by 2006 is discussed. A $1 billion grant from the Gates Millennium Scholars Program will fund 20,000 scholarships for minority groups.
there are all kinds of programs funding schools, not to mention taxes and state lotteries. don't ask me where the money is going though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:44 AM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
So your saying that raising taxes for stupid sports stadiums is a good thing, while the schools have to start closing thier doors because of no tax money. But when we need money from the same government that waste billions on a useless war we should just stand by and let the schools close for that too. Schools aren't big money companies like ford, gmc or chrysler, they teach our children and are a needed program, not the stupid sports.
Bread and circuses.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Let them fail. Besides they probably are already failing.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Is there no way he can consolidate schools? I know it would lay off teachers but...
Office staff cuts?
Maybe installing energy efficient features in some schools...
Asking parents to carpool some students that might perhaps ride a bus that isn't all that full?
Cutting his salary?

He and Michelle Rhee need to have a conference call or exchange some emails.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,618 times
What are these schools doing with all the money they currently get? Burning it for heat?!?!?!? It's insane how tax dollars spend on education have skyrocketed while quality of education has fallen into the toilet.

The problem is at home, not in the schools. Until we quit raising little brats that don't know the meaning of accountability, hard work and sacrifice our country will continue to fall into the toilet. The things I see and hear kids get away with today would have gotten me hided by not only my parents, but my teachers, uncles, grandparents or neighbors. Constant disrespect to adults, bad behavior in public, rudeness, its amazing to me.

I, for one would not want to teach this new generation of children. Can't blame them though. Their parents are the ones raising soft little P*****s with no accountability or moral compass.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,179,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
What are these schools doing with all the money they currently get? Burning it for heat?!?!?!? It's insane how tax dollars spend on education have skyrocketed while quality of education has fallen into the toilet.

The problem is at home, not in the schools. Until we quit raising little brats that don't know the meaning of accountability, hard work and sacrifice our country will continue to fall into the toilet. The things I see and hear kids get away with today would have gotten me hided by not only my parents, but my teachers, uncles, grandparents or neighbors. Constant disrespect to adults, bad behavior in public, rudeness, its amazing to me.

I, for one would not want to teach this new generation of children. Can't blame them though. Their parents are the ones raising soft little P*****s with no accountability or moral compass.
I am not excusing any bad management on the part of schools...there may well be some in Cleveland. BUT, the tax base in Cleveland has fallen dramatically with businesses moving away and closing...as well as falling property values. Cleveland does not get tax revenue from it's suburbs as some other cities do. There is nothing left there but poverty. Yet, the costs to educate have certainly not gone down (in fact it is higher in inner cities dealing with crime, drugs, etc.) If you were going to teach there, you should certainly expect to be more highly compensated for a much more difficult job. Yes the Cleveland schools are poor performing and will probably continue to be. What is your answer to this, other than a "rant"?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,179,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
They are already failing. And if we look the other way we will pay MORE money down the road in welfare, crime, etc. It is NOT the children's fault.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:38 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,136,707 times
Angry No money for the big three, give it to the schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The school they're talking about holds one of Ohio highs marks for (School Excellence) and student high scores and most graduates. But due to cut backs the classes have between 25 and 35 student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
hey, you know all those houses that had an inflated tax assessment? I know that my house in VA was assessed at 300% what I had paid for it two years earlier. the government loved taxing me on the inflated amount, but now they don't have any money. the school system is a joke. where did the sports stadium thing come from?

I know how you feel about the property taxes and how we the property owners seem to be the ones to carry the load. But I'm a big advocate of the (Pay to Play) program when it comes to sports in the schools, waste of tax dollars for us to pay for it. And it ticks me off to no end when stupid voters can vote in a new tax hike so cities like Cleveland can build new sport stadiums for a bunch of over paid children that call themselves "Professionals ball players", while the schools are falling apart.
So if the big three juck car manufacturers can get money (our tax dollars) from the federal government to bail thier sorry butts out of debt, then so should all of the schools in the nation.
Just think how good our schools would be if they would stop this useless war and funnel the money back where it belongs, here in the USA's schools. Why do you think the China, Japan and many other eastern countries are flying past us when it comes to technology. Because they stress the importance of an education and how much money you can blow on a stupid car or all the over priced junk the big three put-out.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
Aren't most of the taxes for new sports complexes raised through taxing such things as rental cars and hotel rooms?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Bailout! It's the catch phrase of the year. Once upon a time (when Gerald Ford was President) it was "rebate." Now it's bailout. SSDD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies