Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,944 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Read the entire thread so far and i find it disturbing at how there are so many fundies are in the US.

Fortunately we don't have that problem here but i've been to MS and met some fundies and they are scary people. They don't like change, none whatsoever. Alot were racist, hyprocritical and just plain bigots.

It shocked me and i doubt i'll ever be back in MS.

I prefer to associate with normal people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Serious hard-core Christian fundamentalists may "smirk" at the idea that unbelievers are 'going to Hell'.....but hard-core Muslim fanatics will actually help unbelievers to GET there...the sooner the better......

Big difference.
The thousands (tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands?) of innocents killed in our Iraq misadventure may beg to differ with you there Mac. Our invasion definitely has been given a modern Crusader tinge to it by Dubya and the fundies are generally the Biggest Cheerleaders of this unfortunate episode.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Are we to assume, then, that you're FOR Sarah Palin's church, and in agreement with their beliefs...or AGAINST them? Your post doesn't make this clear.....
Then I guess raising people from the dead, fortelling the future and VODOO rituals are 'normal' to you. LOL!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Our invasion definitely has been given a modern Crusader tinge to it by Dubya
In what way? I thought it was about oil and revenge?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
In what way? I thought it was about oil and revenge?
You must have missed the stage when it was all about spreading Freedom and Democracy in the Middle East.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,086 times
Quote:
You must have missed the stage when it was all about spreading Freedom and Democracy in the Middle East.
Still doesn't answer my question. When did Bush say it was about spreading Christianity?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Hi all. Read the entire thread so far and i find it disturbing at how there are so many fundies are in the US.

Fortunately we don't have that problem here but i've been to MS and met some fundies and they are scary people. They don't like change, none whatsoever. Alot were racist, hyprocritical and just plain bigots.

It shocked me and i doubt i'll ever be back in MS.

I prefer to associate with normal people.
Yeah yeah yeah. You've posted this same thing 500 times on here already .

I live in the deep south "bible belt" and I haven't been to church in 20 years, nor have most of my friends. Nobody has ever said a word to me about it. The only people I see going to church around here are old people, and I think that's just because it gives them something to do. Some of you people believe what you see on TV way too much.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:43 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah yeah yeah. You've posted this same thing 500 times on here already .

I live in the deep south "bible belt" and I haven't been to church in 20 years, nor have most of my friends. Nobody has ever said a word to me about it. The only people I see going to church around here are old people, and I think that's just because it gives them something to do. Some of you people believe what you see on TV way too much.
You were the lucky one then. It's my fiance's family if you must know.

Been there, done that, bought the T shirt. No thanks.

TV is different from actually "being there"

I think your in denial or just plain lucky.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,079 times
Quote:
The thousands (tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands?) of innocents killed in our Iraq misadventure may beg to differ with you there Mac. Our invasion definitely has been given a modern Crusader tinge to it by Dubya and the fundies are generally the Biggest Cheerleaders of this unfortunate episode.
Yeah, and one of the first things that Bush blurts out is that we on a 'Crusade'. Either really stupid or misinformed, either shoe fits.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jward001 View Post
The Taliban is way more extreme. They stone women publicly if you can see their eyes through their burquas. Saudi Arabia (our life blood) has some nasty laws against improper conduct between men and women too..ie a man and a woman being in the same room without a member of the woman's family present.
True, but these are really only superficial differences. Aside from dress and dating rules, the treatment of women is very similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jward001 View Post
I don't think fundamentalist Christians would even want 'control' of government alla Taliban, though I do think they like to influence it. What's wrong with that? Unions practically run many Northern governments and nobody cries foul - even when they chase business (and jobs) out of town.
Oh but they do want control of the government. They don't want to deal with the economy, taxing, and providing services and infrastructure, the mundane tasks of government. BUT they would love to be able to dictate the behavior of all aspects of life in this country, from abortion, marriage, abstiance only education, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies