Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:03 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times

Advertisements

One Nation under BUDDHA, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."
One Nation under ALLAH, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."
One Nation under LORD SHIVA, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."
One Nation under LORD KRISHNA, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."
One Nation under GODDESS, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

I feel it is unfair to force me to say "Under God". Why can't I say what God I believe in?

Or better yet, why not remove God all together from the pledge? This certainly is not equal to all religions and this most certainly is not fair to agnostic and atheists. For sure, it does not uphold freedom of religion and separation from Church and State.

The original version reads: I Pledge Allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

Why did we have to change it so much just to add more discrimination? This is NOT liberty and justice for all. Not even close. As someone mentioned, this is a Christian thing and for a Christian God. Why are they so for this in the Pledge and why are they so angry when someone suggests it is unfair to other people? I feel this was done to make this seem like a more Christian nation. And it is not a Christian nation.

I know there is a thread debating both sides already. Reason why I started this was because I feel more people will view this and answer questions that even other may be curious about. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:07 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
I agree. They shouldn't say it. We are not a theocracy.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
It was started by a Christian minister in the 50's during the McCarthy era to smoke out those evil pinko commies because everyone knows that evil pinko commies won't say the word "god".

Old 12-03-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
It was started by a Christian minister in the 50's during the McCarthy era to smoke out those evil pinko commies because everyone knows that evil pinko commies won't say the word "god".
Yes, I understand that. But now, we are beyond that. So why is it still there?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yes, I understand that. But now, we are beyond that. So why is it still there?
Because Christians whine that taking it back out oppresses them and isn't "fair". Every time people like us talk about setting it right, they scream discrimination and religious oppression.

Oh, and "One nation under Buddha" wouldn't work because Buddha isn't a deity. He's more of a role model.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:34 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
Because Christians whine that taking it back out oppresses them and isn't "fair". Every time people like us talk about setting it right, they scream discrimination and religious oppression.

Oh, and "One nation under Buddha" wouldn't work because Buddha isn't a deity. He's more of a role model.
"One nation, around the corner and down the street from Buddha..."

And... "One nation under the Flying Spaghetti Monster," lest his adherents be offended, may they be touched by his noodly appendage.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Well, there are some religions who think he is form of God.

Not saying you are wrong, of course...I myself do not know what to think about Buddha but some believe he was also a Son of God like Jesus.

So I believe it would be valid?

And yes, Christians do whine. I don't see how it oppresses them and is not fair. How is it fair to everyone else who is NOT Christian? Putting it back to how it was is neutral for everyone!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
"One nation, around the corner and down the street from Buddha..."

And... "One nation under the Flying Spaghetti Monster," lest his adherents be offended, may they be touched by his noodly appendage.
AWESOME!!!

Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
One Nation under BUDDHA, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."
One Nation under ALLAH, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."
One Nation under LORD SHIVA, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."
One Nation under LORD KRISHNA, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."
One Nation under GODDESS, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

I feel it is unfair to force me to say "Under God". Why can't I say what God I believe in?

Or better yet, why not remove God all together from the pledge? This certainly is not equal to all religions and this most certainly is not fair to agnostic and atheists. For sure, it does not uphold freedom of religion and separation from Church and State.

The original version reads: I Pledge Allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

Why did we have to change it so much just to add more discrimination? This is NOT liberty and justice for all. Not even close. As someone mentioned, this is a Christian thing and for a Christian God. Why are they so for this in the Pledge and why are they so angry when someone suggests it is unfair to other people? I feel this was done to make this seem like a more Christian nation. And it is not a Christian nation.

I know there is a thread debating both sides already. Reason why I started this was because I feel more people will view this and answer questions that even other may be curious about. Thank you!
Just a technical point, I don't know about the others, but Buddha (awakened or enlightened one) makes no claim to being "god". . . the person who is refered to as "the buddha" said " believe no one, not even me, but examine yourself to find the answers that you seek" . So, you are doing a disservice to Buddha and Buddhists by proclaiming a "god concept" to be a part of that scenario. Just thought you might want to know that!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:59 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Yep, one nation under the flying spaghetti monster. . . now that's an "oath" I can get my "Italian heritage" behind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies