Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times

Advertisements

Hmmm....how this will affect the political arena?

Quote:
Conservatives from the Episcopal Church voted today to form their own branch of Anglicanism in the United States and said they would seek new recognition in the worldwide church because of their growing disenchantment over the ordination of an openly gay bishop and other liberal developments
Quote:
It was unclear how other branches of Anglicanism, a loose affiliation of 77 million people that is the third largest Christian church in the world, will react.

Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Christian churches have been splitting for ages. I think the number of denoms is up in the thousands, by the last estimate I saw. One new one won't make much difference.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
I just find it strange that after all this time and abuse Chistendom hasn't learned it's lesson about mixing up faith with politics. They just keep getting further and further away from the real message to the point of shredding it to pieces. Insane, really.

Friend of mine in Chi-town resigned as episcopal budget director when the biddies up in arms playing games with church $$ because they wanted gays out of the church entirely. They've gone through 3 pastors in 2 yrs and he's afraid the bishops office is going to get sick to death of this nonsense enough to shut the doors forever. Sad that people coming to church looking for god can't find him anywhere in the fray. Look what christians have done to themselves?

I'm catholic and I can say they're no better about the meddling politics. It's sickening.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
This has absolutely nothing to do with politics and don't get why it's here. I'm an Episcopalian/Anglican -- this is a matter of theology and tradition and it doesn't affect non-Anglicans. Please don't try to make it into something else.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:15 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Christian churches have been splitting for ages. I think the number of denoms is up in the thousands, by the last estimate I saw. One new one won't make much difference.
The church isn't splitting -- a new province within the church is forming. Everyone is remaining Anglican. Not too different from how the Lutherans have two synods within their church in the U.S.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with politics and don't get why it's here. I'm an Episcopalian/Anglican -- this is a matter of theology and tradition and it doesn't affect non-Anglicans. Please don't try to make it into something else.

You really struggle with inconvenient truths. Odd how you'd like to separate Religion and politics now....

Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
The church isn't splitting -- a new province within the church is forming. Everyone is remaining Anglican. Not too different from how the Lutherans have two synods within their church in the U.S.
Actually, the Lutherans have three big synods and at least several more smaller ones. I guess I'm with teatime on this, that I don't see what it has to do with governmental politics. It's church politics.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Hmmm....how this will affect the political arena?

Washington Post

Sounds like an attack of homophobia within the Episcopalian church...what a surprise.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
katiana church politics or churches getting involved in politics... lines just keep getting blurrier and blurrier. Whatever you label it, it's just another excuse to take the focus off themselves and point it at another.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I just find it strange that after all this time and abuse Chistendom hasn't learned it's lesson about mixing up faith with politics. They just keep getting further and further away from the real message to the point of shredding it to pieces. Insane, really.

Friend of mine in Chi-town resigned as episcopal budget director when the biddies up in arms playing games with church $$ because they wanted gays out of the church entirely. They've gone through 3 pastors in 2 yrs and he's afraid the bishops office is going to get sick to death of this nonsense enough to shut the doors forever. Sad that people coming to church looking for god can't find him anywhere in the fray. Look what christians have done to themselves?

I'm catholic and I can say they're no better about the meddling politics. It's sickening.
Lots of disappointing events these days relative to religion. IMO, when religion is mixed with politics, it's a recipe for trouble, hate, strife, disaster and eventually genocide. My favorite option is for people to just say no to all religion and convert their churches to community centers where serious debates are held on ethics and how to handle the issues that people face. The amount of good that could come from this is endless, and these buildings could become valuable community gathering sites that are used many days per week, not just on Sunday for a few hours.

My POV stems from a belief that ALL religions are fiction, having grown out of a need to keep groups of people living communally within a basic ethical framework of norms and standards. To get the gist of my POV, one has to look back 50,000 years to when people lived in clans or tribes and needed a set of rules to live by for the sake of civil tranquility, order, and survival, as the dangers that existed outside of the village were numerous and deadly. There was no 911 to call, no cops, no courts, no jails, no science to explain that bright ball in the sky. Myth and superstition were all they had to cover over their fears. Conformity was everything, especially survival. To be cast out of the village and into the wilderness was essentially a death sentence. Over the countless eons all this myth was codified into basic tenets, like the ten commandments and golden rule, which are found in ALL religions, though in the unique phraseology of each religion.

I'm confident that someday people will stop letting themselves be controlled by typical religious manipulation via the use of shame, guilt and fear to keep people seeking salvation and forgiveness as they dump their money into the collection plate. There are a LOT of local churches that minister to the needs of the congregation and I have little or no gripe with these efforts, they do good work. But they cross the line when they get into political affairs and making severely harsh judgements towards the gay community, which IMO is so very hateful and wrong.

What I'd like to see in the interim period while people sort out the facts and the science from the fictional, is for the Catholics in America to break away from an increasingly archaic Vatican and form a new Catholic Church, one that stops demonizing sex, advocates birth control and family planning as the gift of science that it is, and sincerely accepts all people openly. In a nutshell, the New American Catholic Church (NACC) would be uplifting and supportive in the daily lives of people, instead of the current practice of beating people emotionally senseless with a constant drumbeat that everyone is a worthless sinful fool.

I'm not singling out the Catholics, the same goes for all denominations, equally. New directions are needed in many churches.

We no longer are cavemen who need something to cling to. Our fog of ignorance regarding the natural world has been lifted by steadily advancing science and knowledge. We CAN have fine ethics, morals, good works, charity, health, brotherhood, emotional well being and a good life without fictional deities that defy all logical thought.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-04-2008 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies