Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
"satan's greatest trick was convincing the world he didn't exist".....Before you start a flame war,stop a second and just think about that statement...........If satan can convince people he doesn't exist then he wins because if you don't believe HE exists,then it's impossible for you to believe GOD exists.
Then it may follow that religion's greatest trick is convincing the world that Satan does exist.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 12-04-2008 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
When you consider how people trampled a worker at Wal-Mart, what passes for entertainment, people that have no talent and nothing to offer mankind becoming celebrities, the time wasted watching TV shows that are at their best, totally stupid, buying into trends because some marketing person pushes some service or product in your face several times each day, seek out prescription drugs that have side effects more deadly than the illness that they promise relief from (never cure, because there are no profits in that), driving vehicles that are known to release toxins, continuing to buy merchandise from China that poisons us, start wars so that the rich can get richer, put up with a void of news media, don't scream from the rooftops to impeach a war criminal President and Vice President, allow the dumbing down of kids via a sinking educational system and the cutting back of artistic programs in schools, outsourcing jobs to slave labor, tolerating wildlife extinctions, giving sports figures god like admiration, killing in the name of a god that one would claim to believe in, etc, etc, etc.

Yes! This is a very primitive world that happened upon some technology. The ones that are enlightened or evolved are not the ones that are looked up to by the masses. We would be a joke to a truly intelligent being from another planet somewhere out there in the universe.

“Talk of heaven! ye disgrace earth." Henry Thoreau
Wow! I don't always agree with you...but this post was first rate.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Estimates of the total number of Muslims range from 0.7 to 1.2 billion worldwide and 1.1 to 7 million in the U.S.

Now THAT'S damn scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's scary to THEM that there are so many Christians, who hate them and want to destroy their culture.

Did you count Hussein Nobama in that number?

Do you look under your bed every night to see if there is a Muslim waving a scimitar , wearing slippers with curled up toes, and determined to force you to speak Arabic.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"I'm not religious, think it's a bunch of BS"

Then how do you explain the exact correlation of Bible prophesy with the history of Israel and the Dome of the Rock? Check it out.

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][LEFT]1. The 1290 days of Dan 12:11 fulfilled in 688AD by the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]construction of the Moslem Dome of the Rock.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2 The 42 months of Rev 11:2 fulfilled in 1967AD by the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]freeing of Jerusalem from Gentile control.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]3. The 1260 Days of Rev 11:3 fulfilled in 1948AD by the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Jewish people returning to their homeland.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]4. The 1260 days of Rev 12:5 fulfilled in 1948AD by the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]establishment of the new nation of Israel.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]5. The Time, Times and Half Time of Dan 7:25 fulfilled in[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1948AD by the new nation of Israel.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]6. The Time, Times and Half Time of Dan 12:7 fulfilled in[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1967AD by the freeing of Jerusalem.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]7. The Season and Time of Dan 7:12 fulfilled in 1948AD[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]when Gentiles lost control of the Holy Land.[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]It is a statistical impossibility for all the above prophecies to[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]exactly fit Scripture and history to the year, as they do, unless this[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]is the correct interpretation;[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][LEFT]http://www.ellisskolfield.com/pdf/TFPChapters1-9.pdf[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]http://www.ellisskolfield.com/pdf/TFPChapters10-17.pdf[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Sorry...but this is just like all those "correlations" between the Lincoln and Kennedy Assassinations...I can find a million ways to tie two totally unrelated events if I look hard enough and "interpret" the data the way I want to. (opinion mine)

Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I think so, yeah. Your thread title is kind of misleading, because I thought you were going to say something about Christians themselves. But you mean Christianity. I couldn't say when, but I do think the Bible will be viewed as Greek, Roman, Norse, or any other kind of mythology is now after time has passed. I really, really don't think it'll be in my lifetime.
Another religion believing in the supernatural will emerge. Atheism is unsustainable.

People are ALWAYS looking for something greater than themselves or society, as we realize our feeble mindedness, aka how little we know of the universe and how physically limited we are to explore it. This will NEVER change.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
...be looked upon as fictional religions such as Greek Mythology, Oracles, or Mayan Religion etc?

I think eventually people will look at Christianity as just as far fetched and "crazy" as we view mythology etc...whether it be 100 years or 500 years from now, I think people will come to their senses.

Anyone agree or disagree?
Agree.

My POV stems from a belief that ALL religions are fiction, having grown out of a need to keep groups of people living communally within a basic ethical framework of norms and standards. To get the gist of my POV, one has to look back 50,000 years to when people lived in clans or tribes and needed a set of rules to live by for the sake of civil tranquility, order, and survival, as the dangers that existed outside of the village were numerous and deadly. There was no 911 to call, no cops, no courts, no jails, no hospitals, no medicine, no science to explain that bright ball in the sky. Myth and superstition were all they had to cover over their fears. Conformity was everything, especially survival. To be cast out of the village and into the wilderness was essentially a death sentence. Over the countless eons all this myth was codified into basic tenets, like the ten commandments and golden rule, which are found in ALL religions, though in the unique phraseology of each religion.

I'm confident that someday people will stop letting themselves be controlled by typical religious manipulation via the use of shame, guilt and fear to keep people seeking salvation and forgiveness as they dump their money into the collection plate. There are a LOT of local churches that minister to the needs of the congregation and I have little or no gripe with these efforts, they do good work. But they cross the line when they get into political affairs and making severely harsh judgements towards the gay community, which IMO is so very hateful and wrong. The more political a church gets, the less valid it is. IMO, when religion is mixed with politics, it's a recipe for trouble, hate, strife, disaster and eventually genocide. We need to step back from that precipice.

What I'd like to see in the interim period while people sort out the facts and the science from the fictional, is for the Catholics in America to break away from an increasingly archaic Vatican and form a new Catholic Church, one that stops demonizing sex, advocates birth control and family planning as the gift of science that it is, and sincerely accepts all people openly. In a nutshell, the New American Catholic Church (NACC) would be uplifting and supportive in the daily lives of people, instead of the current practice of beating people emotionally senseless with a constant drumbeat that everyone is a worthless sinful fool.

I'm not singling out the Catholics, the same goes for all denominations, equally. New directions are needed in many churches. It's a step towards the eventual day that science, facts and knowledge lead us through life, not superstition, myth, guilt, shame, fear and browbeating.

We no longer are cavemen who need something to cling to. Our fog of ignorance regarding the natural world has been lifted by steadily advancing science and knowledge. We CAN have fine ethics, morals, good works, charity, health, brotherhood, emotional well being and a good life without fictional deities that defy all logical thought.

My favorite option is for people to just say no to all religion and convert their churches to community centers where serious debates are held on ethics, health, the local community and schools, and how to handle just about any of the many issues that people face. Local professors could make a circuit to explain various topics, from taxes, to economics, to environment. The amount of good that could come from this is endless, and these buildings could become valuable community gathering sites that are used many days or nights per week, not just on Sunday for a few hours.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Meaning, the Greeks thought 100% they were correct with their religion...we now look at their religion as silly, the Mayans thought their religion was correct, we now laugh at their religious beliefs. Someday do you think people will look at your religion the same way? That's what I mean.
Your posts are a little obtuse.
The Mayan Civilization no longer exists and the Greek religion of antiquity was actually replaced by Christianity.

Can I ask you why you singled out Christianity? Should I tell you why I think you did this?

Last edited by TomDot; 12-04-2008 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Yes at the point of a Roman sword. the same way that Rome persuaded the Anglo Saxons to convert.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Yes at the point of a Roman sword. the same way that Rome persuaded the Anglo Saxons to convert.
You're right. Of course, my mom worked in Budapest during the 60s and her high powered supervisor threatened to have my grandfather's farm taken away by the "peoples' republic" because she was seen going to church. No BS. 110% true story. And my grandfather was a (drafted) member of the communist party.

Then again, I guess being humiliated by having your property taken away by the State and possibly disappearing for a "childish belief" is better than dying by a sword.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
My whole family is Catholic, my friends are mostly Catholic and none of them are guilty of anything but being the most loving, caring, and giving people who I have ever had the pleasure to know.
That is my experience with Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies