Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of capital punishment.

However, there is only one scenario where I think it is not only suitable, but pretty much needed. That is to deal with people who are currently serving long sentences (30+ years) and committ and order murders inside of prison. There are prison gang members who have are already doing life and where they are charged with murder they have been known to literally laugh in court. They have no fear of the justice system because they are already doing the worst it has to offer. In their cases, I think capital punishment is quite fitting since there are no other options. You can't put them in another prison, many of them are already in prisons like Marion, Pelican Bay, San Quentin, and Florence ADX; you can't get any tougher than that, so a date with a needle is really the only solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 AM

395 posts, read 1,011,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I'm not a fan of capital punishment.

However, there is only one scenario where I think it is not only suitable, but pretty much needed. That is to deal with people who are currently serving long sentences (30+ years) and committ and order murders inside of prison. There are prison gang members who have are already doing life and where they are charged with murder they have been known to literally laugh in court. They have no fear of the justice system because they are already doing the worst it has to offer. In their cases, I think capital punishment is quite fitting since there are no other options. You can't put them in another prison, many of them are already in prisons like Marion, Pelican Bay, San Quentin, and Florence ADX; you can't get any tougher than that, so a date with a needle is really the only solution.
Yup, it's sad but true.

That's why that economic study somebody cited claims that an average of 18 lives are saved by every execution. It's not deterrence necessarily - it's the fact that a lot of these people would be killing, ordering murders from the inside.

Dating back to Mills, economists have pointed out that you always need to be able to "ramp up" the punishment to deter the next greater harm. Incidentally this is also why death penalty for rape/child rape is not necessarily a good idea...if it was death penalty, they would have nothing to lose and only to gain by killing their victims...less witnesses.

Of course this doesn't apply to some poor guy with an IQ of 65 who robbed a convenience store because his friends told him to.....

Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
If we had public executions, people would think about the death penalty differently. We are no better than the so called terrorist nations we are fighting as long as we execute the living in an eye for an eye manner. And gee, the death penalty sure doesn't seem to be deterring crime .. hmmmmmm.

On the other side of the coin ... with lethal injection being the preferred method of execution, for those of you death penalty lovers, don't you think that's a bit humane? I say if we want the death penalty, bring back public executions with the guillotine, firing squad and the rack.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
The Death Penalty: Why Its Right

There is not a single documented case of a dead person committing the same crimes he did when he was alive.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
"A human’s basic right is the right to life."

But I'll have to guess that the killer on death row didn't feel that way!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
I think death penalty should be limited to those who have either video or dna evidence of their crimes. That would greatly reduce the risk of wrongful death.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
The Death Penalty: Why Its Right

There is not a single documented case of a dead person committing the same crimes he did when he was alive.
Actually, while that's a clever stance, it's not quite true.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Interesting comments.

However, I support the Death penalty and would even like to see an expansion of the number of crimes that would qualify for the Death Penalty - one of which would be certain sexual offenses against children.

I have witnessed an execution at the request of a victims family. I can tell you that the execution did bring some closure / finality to their ordeal.

I think the current methods of putting someone to death is way too cruel and unusual and feel they chould be banned.

I feel a more modern method of pushing a murderer out a plane at 35,000 feet in the middle of the pacific would be alot more humane, plus the fact that they could do a whole planeload in 10 minutes.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I fully support the death penalty. Dead criminals commit no further crimes.
In 2005, there were 2,337,090 people arrested in the US and charged with either violent or property crimes. We execute about 40 a year.

There would have been no crime in 2006 if we had executed 2,337,090 people, instead of only 40. Please explain how executing 40 people and leaving 2,337,050 alive would have affected the number of crimes the following year.

In 2005, 44% of all known homicides remain unsolved, and there has been no arrest. If every person charged with a homicide in 2005 had been executed, 44% of the killers would still be at large. How does capital punishment stop them from re-offending? You would have executed more than 7,000 people, and still barely got half of them, who are still hiding under your bed every night waiting to kill you.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
I firmly believe in capital punishment. Without question, eveyone at the Capitol should be punished....severely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies