Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 03:31 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Knowing full well that tax breaks for buying SUV's and ridiculous Hummers would have the Saudis jumping for joy, the government played right into their hands and so many Americans were willing patsys. Collusion involving the car manufacturers and big oil was so obvious and people were so easily sold. How stupid are people, really?

SUV TAX BREAK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
That makes me sick. SUV owners should be taxed extra for driving around in gas guzzling vehicles. Especially since I usually see them with only a driver inside and no passengers. Plus they speed on the highways while talking on their cellphones and don't use turn signals. At least drive slower in your SUV's and obey the speed limits.

BTW I think that those drivers who get into a car accident while on the cellphone or texting, or fiddling with their GPS units ought to have higher insurance premiums.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:46 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
This moronic tax law is typical of the Bush crowd. This law meant well when first implemented but under the Bush clowns it morphed into a bloated pig of a tax drain. It not only played into the run-up in oil prices by driving up consumption of gasoline, it had the automakers focus on making the wrongest of vehicles for a world running tight on oil supplies. For years the automakers pumped out millions of 21st century Edsels, now the auto weenies are hat-in-hand before Congressional hypocrites who want to know how they'll spend $30B of OUR tax dollars to re-tool for small cars.

Welcome to America, laughing stock of the world. Again. Ain't we got fun.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:59 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
That makes me sick. SUV owners should be taxed extra for driving around in gas guzzling vehicles. Especially since I usually see them with only a driver inside and no passengers. Plus they speed on the highways while talking on their cellphones and don't use turn signals. At least drive slower in your SUV's and obey the speed limits.

BTW I think that those drivers who get into a car accident while on the cellphone or texting, or fiddling with their GPS units ought to have higher insurance premiums.
It fits the profile. Anyone stupid or irresponsible enough to buy one of those behemoths, are going to display other moronic and irresponsible behavioral traits. I'm sure there are going to be really irritated SUV owners here soon screaming about how their SUV is the center of their life and that they could not live without it. If you are disabled or have a business that requires a larger than normal vehicle, that would be an exception. I see one person per SUV more than I see a full vehicle.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
SUV owners should be taxed extra for driving around in gas guzzling vehicles.
They are. Ever hear of fuel tax?

Quote:
Especially since I usually see them with only a driver inside and no passengers.
Not in any higher percentages than drivers of other cars.

Quote:
Plus they speed on the highways while talking on their cellphones and don't use turn signals.
Just like drivers of any other type of car.

Quote:
At least drive slower in your SUV's and obey the speed limits.
So it's OK for hybrid drivers to speed?

Quote:
They do. Accidents have a way of inching those premiums right up.

Do you really have a clear set of double standards, or did this post just make it appear that you do?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This moronic tax law is typical of the Bush crowd. This law meant well when first implemented but under the Bush clowns it morphed into a bloated pig of a tax drain.
The change in the tax code was implemented in 1997 - during Clinton's tenure - and was intended to give small business owners more of a chance to grow their business.

The problem is that doctors, lawyers, real estate agents, etc., all took advantage of the change, and went out and bought these things "for business". The exploitation of the tax code had nothing to do with Bush.

I believe in giving credit (and blame) where it's due. Bush had nothing to do with this, and neither did Clinton, really. Talk to Congress if you have a problem with it - they're the ones that write the laws.

The provision could probably have been written better, to exclude the professional services sector, but neither President is "at fault" here. You're just letting blind hatred guide you, and you look foolish for it.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 PM
JGY

347 posts, read 419,736 times
People buy what they like, and SUV's weren't the only vehicles available.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The change in the tax code was implemented in 1997 - during Clinton's tenure - and was intended to give small business owners more of a chance to grow their business.

The problem is that doctors, lawyers, real estate agents, etc., all took advantage of the change, and went out and bought these things "for business". The exploitation of the tax code had nothing to do with Bush.

I believe in giving credit (and blame) where it's due. Bush had nothing to do with this, and neither did Clinton, really. Talk to Congress if you have a problem with it - they're the ones that write the laws.

The provision could probably have been written better, to exclude the professional services sector, but neither President is "at fault" here. You're just letting blind hatred guide you, and you look foolish for it.

Now, now...there ya go throwing common sense into the argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies