Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:45 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,600,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The only clock that gets reset is her 2 years of benefits which she caps out of at 5 total in a life time.
So...that would be ten years?
Yeah, I can see how noone can scam such a fool proof system as that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,082,701 times
There is so much misinformation about this and so much is based on "my neighbor's hairdresser told her that his cousin told him that his uncle heard at the barbershop, etc." 2 years consecutive and 5 years lifetime IS the law and has been for years. Most WIC and Food Stamps go to people who are working at low paying jobs...the only ones they can get. Many of these people are working very hard and doing their level best. There just are not enough good paying jobs around. (News Flash) An increasing amount of Medicaid is going to elderly widows who were homemakers all their lives and are now living on survivor's social security. The Medicaid covers the gap between Medicare and the cost of medical care. Likewise an increasing amount of Section 8 goes to provide shelter to the elderly who have worked hard all their lives at lower paying jobs and have nothing to live on but Social Security. In point of fact, most social services now days goes toward "filling in the holes" between what people make at low paying jobs or social security and what it takes to live. There is always going to be the old myths about the welfare queens in cadilacs but there is very little fat in the system now days to skim. Those who see people without evident means of support living large should take into account the profitability of the drug trade. Believe me, it pays much better than welfare.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:56 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,380,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It is also where single mothers learn how to work the system. My dhs cousin for instance has three children by two dads and married neither. Until recently she was under probation for burglary. She gets all kinds of benefits from the government with the understanding she must work a certain amount of time each year. She works for exactly that time and then quits so that the clock resets and her benefits keep flowing.
That's TANF. Work requirements are weekly, not annual. 20 hours per week with kids under 6. 30 hours per week with kids 6 to 18. No more than two consecutive years on TANF. No more than five in a lifetime.

Quote:
Does she have a cadillac and big screen tv? Of course. Is she working the system for every cent so that she doesn't have to be responsible for her own life? Absolutely.
There are fraud hotlines in every state in the union. Google yours. Or call the federal fraud hotline at 1-800-HHS-TIPS. They'll be able to advise you as to how to proceed, and I can hear by the anger in your voice how anxious you are to proceed...

Old 12-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That's TANF. Work requirements are weekly, not annual. 20 hours per week with kids under 6. 30 hours per week with kids 6 to 18. No more than two consecutive years on TANF. No more than five in a lifetime.

There are fraud hotlines in every state in the union. Google yours. Or call the federal fraud hotline at 1-800-HHS-TIPS. They'll be able to advise you as to how to proceed, and I can hear by the anger in your voice how anxious you are to proceed...
I'm sorry, was I supposed to feel pity or empathy for her? There are people who really need help, and then there are people who want to be dependent. Do you mean to tell me that this doesn't bother you?

You know, when I was around 6-9, I would go visit my friends gm who lived in the projects. She would tell me and my friend to say we live at such and such address so that we could get the free lunch.
Fraud has been a part of the system for a long, long time. To pretend it doesn't exist is foolish.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I find it both strange a bit amusing the way that "Welfare" gets bandied about on this and other sites. Welfare or more appropriately Aid To Dependent Children went out of existence more than 12 years ago, when Congress and the Clinton administration signed into law the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act which limits benefits to 2 consecutive years and no more than 5 years over a lifetime.
Quote:

By Jack Ward
February 4, 2006
NewsWithViews.com

Whenever immigration is discussed, advocates of immigration (legal and illegal) make the claim that immigrants actually aid the US economy. While that claim can be debated, nobody can claim that "anchor babies" provide a boost to the US economy. Anchor babies are babies of immigrants that are born in the US. Based on a misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution, these babies are granted immediate US citizenship.
Some parents come legally as temporary visitors but others enter illegally. In either case anchor babies are granted immediate US citizenship. Immigration officials seldom initiate deportation proceedings against illegal aliens with anchor babies, so they simply remain here illegally. After all what heartless bureaucrat would deport illegal immigrant parents and separate them from their newborn?
Since anchor babies are considered citizens they instantly qualify for public welfare which means they gain access to free medical care, schools, housing, food stamps, and all the other benefits of our welfare state.
While the anchor babies do not provide immediate citizenship to the alien family, they do provide an anchor for that family - hence the name anchor baby.

http://www.newswithviews.com/public_comm/public_commentary32.htm

Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,380,292 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, was I supposed to feel pity or empathy for her? There are people who really need help, and then there are people who want to be dependent. Do you mean to tell me that this doesn't bother you?
What bothers me is serial fraud about welfare recipients. Made up tripe. Pure falsehood and imagination put forward as fact. That bothers me, and I see it all the time. It seems to me to be a right-wing mania.

Quote:
You know, when I was around 6-9, I would go visit my friends gm who lived in the projects. She would tell me and my friend to say we live at such and such address so that we could get the free lunch. Fraud has been a part of the system for a long, long time. To pretend it doesn't exist is foolish.
Tell us that you think that would have worked. Go ahead. Of course, you were only 6-9 then. How old are you now???

Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What bothers me is serial fraud about welfare recipients. Made up tripe. Pure falsehood and imagination put forward as fact. That bothers me, and I see it all the time. It seems to me to be a right-wing mania.

Tell us that you think that would have worked. Go ahead. Of course, you were only 6-9 then. How old are you now???

I think what will work is to stop hiding the criminals in the system for fear that exposing them would harm the rest. Maybe state and federal agencies would be wise to start 'using a scalpel' as Obama suggested and get rid of those that are using the system to ensure that the funds will be there for those that actually have need of them. Maybe community activists would be wise to seperate the wheat from the chaff and focus their energies on helping those that want it and will benefit from it versus those that are content to live a marginalized life on government handouts.

I am in no way saying that all forms of welfare should be abolished. I am saying that there is fraud, and it is important to free up those funds for those that need it.

Btw, do you know anyone on public assistance? Or are you just theorizing from your tower?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,076,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna kick my 99 y/o father out on his ass. He hasn't had a job in years, that freeloader. Kids should starve on the streets if they can't take care of themselves too. The job of the gummit is to provide welfare for the corporate elite that runs multi billion$$$ corporations into the ground not those parasites on society like the sick, old, disabled, children. Let 'em eat cake!
I agree, but do you notice that those who scream about the poor scamming the government (for a tiny tiny fraction of what banking institutions did or what the Iraqi war did) never will acknowledge giving free UNearned money to FAILED companies and their executives as WELFARE!????

Old 12-05-2008, 02:45 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
welfare is alive and well in fact pays a whole lot better. administratively the new system was forged into the old system by implementation of "good cause" for failing to participate.
it rapidly became another giveawy program.
worse the mandatory reading and math tests were abolished bek they were perceived as discriminatory and illiteracy, primary cause of unemployment, was reinvented as "learning disability" a disease. your tax dollars are also used to supposedly educate the poor, the schools (jr college) quickly stopped using academic probation and began to load the curriculum with lots of electives like italian 101, body building and ethnic studies to avoid flunkout and keep those classroom chairs filled.
they also loaded the nursing program with prerequistes turning a 2 year program into a 5 year program. all this to the jeapordy of the welfare people they were supposed to be helping.
the jr colleges began to warehouse welfare people instead of helping them as soon as it was common knowlege that you could dodge welfare to work by going to school (6 years a at jr college with a straight d average in useless elective courses and this stuff defended of course by the school counselors)
here is however a heads up --welfare as you know will end within 12 months.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:46 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,564,988 times
Probably because America spends most on Social Services (Health and Human Services, HUD, Food Stamps), about half of all federal budget. With the 11 trillion national debt and growing, in our lifetime we are going to eventually have to bailout social security and medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies