Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

I find it both strange a bit amusing the way that "Welfare" gets bandied about on this and other sites. Welfare or more appropriately Aid To Dependent Children went out of existence more than 12 years ago, when Congress and the Clinton administration signed into law the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act which limits benefits to 2 consecutive years and no more than 5 years over a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:52 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Word spreads more slowly in some quarters...

Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I find it both strange a bit amusing the way that "Welfare" gets bandied about on this and other sites. Welfare or more appropriately Aid To Dependent Children went out of existence more than 12 years ago, when Congress and the Clinton administration signed into law the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act which limits benefits to 2 consecutive years and no more than 5 years over a lifetime.
I think Medicaid is still welfare, food stamps are Welfare, Section-8 is Welfare, and I think women get 'reset' everytime they pop out another kid.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:59 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I think Medicaid is still welfare, food stamps are Welfare, Section-8 is Welfare, and I think women get 'reset' everytime they pop out another kid.
Yeah, I'm gonna kick my 99 y/o father out on his ass. He hasn't had a job in years, that freeloader. Kids should starve on the streets if they can't take care of themselves too. The job of the gummit is to provide welfare for the corporate elite that runs multi billion$$$ corporations into the ground not those parasites on society like the sick, old, disabled, children. Let 'em eat cake!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
No, welfare is that stuff that lazy people use to buy all their Cadillac's and flat-screen plasma TV's. Medicaid is only good for medical care, food stamps for basic foods, Section-8 for housing, WIC for prenatal and infant care, SCHIP for children's health care, TANF for dependent children, SSI for elder and disabled care, LIHEAP for winter heating, and you only get the EITC in exchange for working. Not sure where all those TV's are coming from nowadays...

Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna kick my 99 y/o father out on his ass. He hasn't had a job in years, that freeloader. Kids should starve on the streets if they can't take care of themselves too. The job of the gummit is to provide welfare for the corporate elite that runs multi billion$$$ corporations into the ground not those parasites on society like the sick, old, disabled, children. Let 'em eat cake!
Oh, bs. You cannot deny that fraud exists in any government program, but especially in the so called 'social services'.
My mil is an RN who works for the government for the dept of aging. Originally her division, I guess you would call it, was created to keep the elderly in their homes for as long as possible. Good idea, right? They did this by giving them housing aid, medical aid, and by paying a stipend to a relative who will live with the elderly person and take care of them. Again, sounds good. But, fraud has taken hold --- she reports that there are able body adults (20s-50s) who are in this program. Even though she sees that they can certainly take care of themselves, she is prohibited from reporting it or from cutting them off. Once you get in the program you are set till you die. As a result, the elderly - the people for whom this program was created - are the ones suffering. Not enough money to go around, so instead of the elderly living their last years in security and with dignity the lazy azzholes have made it so they all live one step above poverty.
Btw, she and her fellow RNs have reported the abuse to all levels including senators and the governor. None of them want to touch it with a ten foot pole. They might get labeled as racist or have the charge that they wish they poor 'to eat cake'. And everyone knows votes are worth much more then accountability in government.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, welfare is that stuff that lazy people use to buy all their Cadillac's and flat-screen plasma TV's. Medicaid is only good for medical care, food stamps for basic foods, Section-8 for housing, WIC for prenatal and infant care, SCHIP for children's health care, TANF for dependent children, SSI for elder and disabled care, LIHEAP for winter heating, and you only get the EITC in exchange for working. Not sure where all those TV's are coming from nowadays...
It is also where single mothers learn how to work the system. My dhs cousin for instance has three children by two dads and married neither. Until recently she was under probation for burglary. She gets all kinds of benefits from the government with the understanding she must work a certain amount of time each year. She works for exactly that time and then quits so that the clock resets and her benefits keep flowing.
Does she have a cadillac and big screen tv? Of course. Is she working the system for every cent so that she doesn't have to be responsible for her own life? Absolutely.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
She works for exactly that time and then quits so that the clock resets and her benefits keep flowing.
Does she have a cadillac and big screen tv? Of course. Is she working the system for every cent so that she doesn't have to be responsible for her own life? Absolutely.
The only clock that gets reset is her 2 years of benefits which she caps out of at 5 total in a life time.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Even though she sees that they can certainly take care of themselves, she is prohibited from reporting it

Oh, please point to the statute or regulation that prohibits the reporting of fraud?

Even if you can't, here let me help:

FraudNet/Reporting Fraud

Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, please point to the statute or regulation that prohibits the reporting of fraud?

Even if you can't, here let me help:

FraudNet/Reporting Fraud
Oh please, tell me you didn't understand my post! She did report it, noone wants to deal with it. No doubt for fear of people like yourself who would be quick to yell 'racism' or 'unfeeling conservative bastards'.

I hate to tell you, but there is no such thing as the hooker with a heart of gold, there is no honor among theives and the myth of noble poverty is just that --- a myth.

People who have gone on social service programs of any kind and get off to resume their lives are admirable people. Then there are those that are content to suck the system dry. They are not admirable people. There is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies