Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times

Advertisements

He was guilty and found guilty but the sentence is insane . Rapist and killers dont get that type sentence.

The judge has no right to punish him for what happened in the past. He should have received same type sentence as others who have done same type crime with no prior convictions.

I am no fan of his but less fan of a system,judge which is unfair and tries to right a wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
He was guilty and found guilty but the sentence is insane . Rapist and killers dont get that type sentence.

The judge has no right to punish him for what happened in the past. He should have received same type sentence as others who have done same type crime with no prior convictions.

I am no fan of his but less fan of a system,judge which is unfair and tries to right a wrong.
Proof of the unjustness of the American "justice" system.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Your comment is very disrespectful to the Goldman family. They should continue on whatever quest they feel necessary. If you have never lost a family member or loved one to a murderer then you may not be able to understand the feelings. If you are tired of hearing them then don't listen but they have the right. Their son didn't deserve to be slaughtered.

The Brown family doesn't nag because their daughter was the one who got involved with Simpson, knew what kind of person he was and knew he was capable of violence as she had experienced in the marriage. They should be embarrassed that their daughter didn't have enough sense or scruples to not get involved with such an unstable scumbag.
You're wrong. It's because Mr amd Mrs Brown are dignified people. I can't say the same for Denise Brown Nicoles sister as she was out there with all the other sharks making her buck off the death of her sister in the guise of some "non profit" group she started.

The Goldmans were constantly after Simpsons money in the guise of it being compensation for their sons life.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:56 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Why are you trying to turn it into a race thing?
My thoughts exactly.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Enjoy your 15+ OJ! You got off lucky the first time yet you're too damn stupid to simply stay outta trouble.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
One of the great places to test the barometer of African American public opinion is in a barber shop or beauty salon where one can always find a free flowing live conversation on any issue, the Simpson case was no different. One of the things that I found during the entire period of the Simpson case was the dramatic turnaround in black public opinion regarding OJ.

During the initial phases of the case, most folks in my barber shop either didn't give a damn about the case, or just thought that OJ, was guilty as hell. It wasn't until the onset of the OJ, all the time 2 4/7 coverage that I began to detect a shift in opinion from apathy and guilt to questioning and eventual support for his innocence. The more white commentators like Geraldo Rivera were perceived to trumpeted OJ's guilt the more African Americans became adamant in his innocence. It was as if ever miscarriage of justice was some how trans configured into Simpson, a person who most African Americans didn't give moment of thought for prior to the murders and after the end of his football career.

Personally, I found the transformation in public opinion quite interesting, understandable and yet baffling. Of, course the dynamic duo of Clark and Dardin did everything in their power to put on a comedic performance masquerading as a prosecution, with a cast of characters befitting any hit sit-com. But I was surprised by the verdict. Frankly, I thought that you could throw out 2/3rds of the physical evidence and still could have found him guilty (which would have been my advice to the prosecution).

Then a remarkable thing happened that confirmed my suspicion that the support for Simpson wasn't actually support for OJ the person but OJ, the symbol of African American perceptions of the criminal justice system. At the same barber shop that I watched the support for Simpson during his criminal trial, completely evaporate during the civil case brought by the Goldmans, support that has remained non-existent in the years following those trials and remains non-existent today.

OJ, served his purpose as the aggrieved surrogate for African American's historically valid perceptions of racially biased miscarriages of justice, and when he no longer served that purpose, he was rejected, as many felt he had rejected the African American community long ago.

I think the whole think would make a great thesis for a social psychologist.
That is exactly what happened. Thank you for stating it so well.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
You're wrong. It's because Mr amd Mrs Brown are dignified people. I can't say the same for Denise Brown Nicoles sister as she was out there with all the other sharks making her buck off the death of her sister in the guise of some "non profit" group she started.

The Goldmans were constantly after Simpsons money in the guise of it being compensation for their sons life.
I never could figure out the type of person who capitalizes on the death of a loved one.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
That is exactly what happened. Thank you for stating it so well.
Yeah, but it would have been better stated if from time to time I would proofread my comments for grammatical errors and typos. Kind of embarrassing to get kudos for sloppy and lazy editing.

But then if I proof read my little spontaneous missives, I would be guilty of taking this all too seriously.

But thanks to all who appreciate my little points here and there despite the dramatic grammatical screw ups.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post

I agree...he IS being punished PARTLY for what he did, PARTLY for 'getting away' with his PREVIOUS crime, and partly for being arrogant.

If the MURDER verdict (not guilty) could be called "jury nullification", maybe THIS time it's "judicial nullification".

Old 12-05-2008, 04:51 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,595 times
I agree with the murder verdict--the prosecution was incompetent and didn't prove their case. (of course, like most sane people I believe that he committed those murders!)

I guess I sympathized with the Goldmans at the time but it's clear they've enjoyed doing their star turn in the media spotlight over the years. Now it's time for them to move off the stage.

The judge in the robbery case consciously or unconsiously decided to punish OJ after the fact for the murders. The prison term is excessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree...he IS being punished PARTLY for what he did, PARTLY for 'getting away' with his PREVIOUS crime, and partly for being arrogant.

If the MURDER verdict (not guilty) could be called "jury nullification", maybe THIS time it's "judicial nullification".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies