Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,887 times

Advertisements

My daughters 8th english class at a Catholic School is being asked to write a Poem to President elect Obama. Not to praise him but to recognize this historical election. All the poems are being placed in a binder along with a group picture and being sent to him. Needless to say most of the kids (not all) do not want to do this. The teacher told the kids that they will get a zero if they do not write the poem. I am not sure how I feel about this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,835 times
Dear Mr. Black president, well done on beating white people in this historical election, here are some poems to congratulate you on being black and successful.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,024 times
Politics, Ethics and Arrogance in the Classroom
I feel that this goes against professional ethics in teaching.
When I was working on my masters in teaching, and did take a ethics in teaching class, I remember studying a similiar situation to this, and coming to the conclusion that is was not ethical.
If it were optional for the students, or extra credit, then it would be OK, but this goes over the line, I think.
Then again, this is a Catholic School, and there is plenty of subject matter there that cannot be taught in a public school, so maybe the teacher can get away with it. Not sure about that one.
I think Obama is an awesome man of character, and I don't think he would like recieving something like this from a child who was forced to write it. Doesn't seem like his thing, and I don't think he'd like it for his own kids.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,259 times
It is not unusual for students to be asked to write poetry or letters to important political or historical figures. Maybe you should reconsider why you feel unsure about this; does racism play a role? If it were someone else, perhaps Abraham Lincoln, would you feel differently? He is the President Elect, deal with it, show the man his proper respect. If a teacher wants to recognize a historical accomplishment, so be it.

Old biddie: how can you consider this unethical? That is completely ludicris. Completely. I am astonished that one so educated would believe it to be unethical to write a poem to the president. Look deep inside yourself, can you honestly justify that? If he were John McCain, would you still believe it to be unethical? I find that doubtful. And there has never been a situation similar to this ever. Barack Obama's victory is one of a kind, what are you trying to compare it to? Anything less would be insulting.

One can deny being racist all he or she wants but I feel that all of those who have posted have racist stigmas and should try to not be ignorant bigots.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 AM

72 posts, read 94,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Dear Mr. Black president, well done on beating white people in this historical election, here are some poems to congratulate you on being black and successful.
Obama was raised by his white family relatives, since his "black" dad turned deadbeat when Barack was two. Obama never even knew his black side, and was instead taught about what it means to be a black-american, by a racist Reverend!!

Obama was taught at "white" schools his entire life, and was benefitted from white-guilt affirmative action policies.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM

438 posts, read 831,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
My daughters 8th english class at a Catholic School is being asked to write a Poem to President elect Obama. Not to praise him but to recognize this historical election. All the poems are being placed in a binder along with a group picture and being sent to him. Needless to say most of the kids (not all) do not want to do this. The teacher told the kids that they will get a zero if they do not write the poem. I am not sure how I feel about this...
I'd get the zero!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 AM

72 posts, read 94,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Needless to say most of the kids (not all) do not want to do this.
That is excellent news.

Let's hope the next generations can repair the damage done by the baby-boomers, anti-White racists, and self-hating white dupe liberals.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
If I were in the class, this is what I would write:

What happns to a dream deferred?
It's now come true, or haven't you heard?
The hopes of America now are placed
In a man who is all of us, of every race.

Let's hope that we're wise enough to move along
From things that divide us ---
We all know they're wrong;
All those days of the darkness
That filled us with hate
Are long-gone now --
think of this spanking-clean slate!

For the nation that's given the world cause to dream
We have a new reason to brush up the gleam
of the stars in the eyes of our children who see
that the future's for everyone, everyone's free
to strive and to work and go far as they can!

My the hopes of the nation sustain this good man.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
I pleadge allegience, to the seal, of President Elect Barack Obama.
And to the creepy Obama Youth Movement for which he stands,
A divided nation, under Obama, still,
At least its not George Bush.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM

147 posts, read 91,259 times
I applaud those kids, they should do the very same thing when they are forced on the mandatory Holocaust indoctrination field trips.

My kid will NEVER be forced on one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies