Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,911,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I think it's a bad idea, and I just feel like it's inappropriate. If I'd scored low enough in math on the standardized tests (and I almost did), I would've gone somewhere else to take a remedial math course so I could move forward. What's the shame in that? Really? Sometimes people don't get everything they were supposed to in high school, and it's necessary, IMO.
But, those high schools need to change then and give the students what it is they need.

Hell, look how many graduate high school that can barely read at a sixth grade level. I am sorry, and I know all generations talk like this about the coming generation, but this bunch is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
to be expected now you know that basic reading and math tests for welfare recipients have been banned from welfare. some years ago. they were viewed as discriminatory. although they know that there is high high correlation between illiteracy and unemployment. now its called learning disability and must be measured with exhaustive tests by a professional and of course nothing is done with the info, except some very juicy private contractor fees. did you know that the average welfare case with a zerox copy of a high school diploma often stuck in it, has a reading and math score of 6th grade?
johnny cannt read.
how come.
is it just me or does something smell bad.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:19 PM

164 posts, read 462,435 times
This idea doesn't sound so bad to me if it requires that later, passing grades are actually earned and that the "held" grades of students who don't make up their work/ go for tutoring/ etc., get turned to "failing" grades. The thing is that the policy probably won't benefit a lot of the kids who need it most. The article says that students have the option to accept a fail rather than try to raise their grades, so most kids who by habit are too lazy or distracted or indifferent to do their work in the first place will probably just choose to fail. This could be a good thing for kids who are usually decent students and who have short-term reasons for their poor work.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,928,143 times
This is bad, but not as bad as what Collier County, Florida schools did.

They made a 50 the minimum score on anything, no zeroes even if its missed, cheated etc.

So now it's pretty much impossible to fail, since 50's dont bring down an average nearly as much as zeroes do.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:11 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,584,817 times
I saw the movie Idiocracy and laughed, now when I think about that movie and realize it might just be a documentary before it's time and it makes me cry.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,481,631 times
How curious...the educational system in this country worked perfectly well when there were standards. You couldn't keep up, and you failed. I suspect this is a terribly radical solution, and it would probably take decades before being adopted, but suppose we put standards back, and stopped acting as though nobody ever fails.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:45 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,780,066 times
Oh well...American kids are just toooo dumb to be able to manage their own lives or any halfway serious task....(latte' anyone?) Nope American kids are being set up to fail....to be U.N.-able to cope with even basic educational tasks, let alone four five or six years at college, or a serious job in the service sector, or high tech. We, the U.S. will continue to rely on foreigners to handle all the jobs that require thinking while American kids will lead the 'charge' in the hip street fashion world, political activism (for what end who knows...) and rippity rappity music.
The kids from Communist China, Pakistan, India, The Ukraine, Russia...They'll be the ones who run the show...they'll be the ones who are experts in physics, math, chemistry, biology, medicine, economics, law....etc...which is good because at least THEY'LL know how....

Old 12-06-2008, 06:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,913,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
This idea doesn't sound so bad to me if it requires that later, passing grades are actually earned and that the "held" grades of students who don't make up their work/ go for tutoring/ etc., get turned to "failing" grades. The thing is that the policy probably won't benefit a lot of the kids who need it most. The article says that students have the option to accept a fail rather than try to raise their grades, so most kids who by habit are too lazy or distracted or indifferent to do their work in the first place will probably just choose to fail. This could be a good thing for kids who are usually decent students and who have short-term reasons for their poor work.
Heaven forbid that you actually read the story!!

I remember the reaction during the Oakland School District "ebonics controversy" do to bad reporting and simple knee jerk reactions, the real story and intent of the school district was never discussed. Why do I get that feeling of deja vu all over again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies