Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Maybe, but I doubt it, as people are no longer taught how to think, only what to think.

The point of using such archaic manner of thinking is that absolutism doesn't require any depth to thought, only that one picks a side or an opinion and espouses the talking points while condemning oppositional view points. The comfort that comes with believing that the side you chose is right, is in fact one of the reasons why people commit to such binary thinking. It does two things, removes effort required to thinking and the omits the uncomfortable feeling a person may get not knowing/believing something.
Someone like Rush Limbaugh has taught his listeners to turn vicious everytime they hear the term 'liberal', like Pavlov's dog. This negates the need to think - it is simply reaction. This is why I would rather these demogogs talk in terms of concrete issues, then at least some part of the functioning human brain might attempt to reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Maybe then Americans could have a real dialog.

A real dialog would go just dandy with our real press. Oh, wait a minute, that's right, the press in the tank for the democrats. Well, at least we can still have that frank discussion about race that Obama wants to have just as soon as we make every innocent remark a white male says a hate crime.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A real dialog would go just dandy with our real press. Oh, wait a minute, that's right, the press in the tank for the democrats. Well, at least we can still have that frank discussion about race that Obama wants to have just as soon as we make every innocent remark a white male says a hate crime.
The press has been under 'conservative' corporate control for the past 8 years, and so continues to be.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Someone like Rush Limbaugh has taught his listeners to turn vicious everytime they hear the term 'liberal', like Pavlov's dog. This negates the need to think - it is simply reaction. This is why I would rather these demogogs talk in terms of concrete issues, then at least some part of the functioning human brain might attempt to reason.
Yes the Limbaugh followers are a laugh a minute but at the same time, Liberals have this tendency to think that you can just present a list of facts and everyone will draw the same right conclusions and nothing could be further from the truth. One of the reasons why there is so much lack of unity in Liberal circles as liberals are akin to hauling frogs in a wheelbarrow. So many different opinions and views that they find themselves disagreeing with those they agree with on nearly everything.

The point of this thread apparently was dispensing with labels and addressing issues in a concise manner as they relate to known facts. To this I say, good luck, since more people are inclined to feel than think. Don't believe me, then watch any news/entertainment program and watch the newsreader/pundit ask... How do you feel about... as oppose to, what do you think... Seriously, make a note of how many times this happens. People are supposed to think, they are supposed to react.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Yes the Limbaugh followers are a laugh a minute but at the same time, Liberals have this tendency to think that you can just present a list of facts and everyone will draw the same right conclusions and nothing could be further from the truth. One of the reasons why there is so much lack of unity in Liberal circles as liberals are akin to hauling frogs in a wheelbarrow. So many different opinions and views that they find themselves disagreeing with those they agree with on nearly everything.

The point of this thread apparently was dispensing with labels and addressing issues in a concise manner as they relate to known facts. To this I say, good luck, since more people are inclined to feel than think. Don't believe me, then watch any news/entertainment program and watch the newsreader/pundit ask... How do you feel about... as oppose to, what do you think... Seriously, make a note of how many times this happens. People are supposed to think, they are supposed to react.
Dare I say that 'liberals' are more apt to disagree with each other, because they are more free-thinking, whereas 'conservatives' march to the beat of the same demogog, and are more likely to agree with each other in the safety of conformity.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Dare I say that 'liberals' are more apt to disagree with each other, because they are more free-thinking, whereas 'conservatives' march to the beat of the same demogog, and are more likely to agree with each other in the safety of conformity.
Not at all, and in fact I agree with much of what you posted above but keep in mind, a room full of people disagreeing with one another is a noble thing at times but when push comes to shove and things have to get done, who do you want?

I will never suggest that liberal or conservative views are superior or inferior to one another, as both appear to have their application of views for a variety of circumstances. To me it seems much more prudent to be flexible and use either perspective depending upon what the situation calls for.

If you are digging a ditch do you want a bunch of intellectuals standing on their shovels debating the most efficient manner of moving dirt or do you want a guy digging a hole? By the same token, do you want a bunch of conformist and yes men when trying to devise a foreign policy strategy? Each scenario has a need for a balance between liberal and conservative philosophies but neither are evil, good or bad, they just are. Where is goes wrong is when people try to fit a round peg in a square hole because they favor round pegs.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
The press has been under 'conservative' corporate control for the past 8 years, and so continues to be.

Did you just get back from a long trip to a third world country that had no newspapers, TV or Internet?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Someone like Rush Limbaugh has taught his listeners to turn vicious everytime they hear the term 'liberal',
El Toro Poopoo

Old 01-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
El Toro Poopoo
It's a real hoot to hear demagogs like Rush rail at left-wing draft dodgers, when he used a boil on his ass to duck the draft, then rail at drug-pushers when he obtained numerous false prescriptions for Oxycotin. The hypocrite is widely admired by millions of brain-dead dolts.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
It's a real hoot to hear demagogs like Rush rail at left-wing draft dodgers, when he used a boil on his ass to duck the draft, then rail at drug-pushers when he obtained numerous false prescriptions for Oxycotin. The hypocrite is widely admired by millions of brain-dead dolts.
You wrote; has taught his listeners ... That is BS.

As for Limbaugh; I think I may have listened to a total of an hour of his program over the last 2/3 years.

I'm more of Glenn Beck person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies