Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred314x View Post
well, give credit where credit is due. Bush certainly tried his best to run the country into the ground. And he put together an administration that was equally dedicated to the task. But the republic proved too stubborn, and insisted on surviving. I'm sure he'll consider that one of his biggest disappointments.
lol:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Too bad you don't like him.. he's a great man, and a great president. He will go down in history with high marks... I'm sure he will speel well knowing you don't care for him....
I respect your right to think whatever you like of Mr. Bush...but I really don't think too many people (in this country or world-wide) think "he's a great president" or that his legacy will be anything but disastrous.
My 2 cents.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then you should have been around when carter was in office and unemployment and the inflation was even higher than it is these days.
I was around. I seem to recall we didn't have two wars going on. Nor were we a nation that tortured and did extraordinary renditions.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:40 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You apparently forget: This started with the Clinton adminsration, and the CRA (Community Reinvestment Act) as part of Clintons plan for the 21st Century.
Utter tripe invented as Bushie excusification by Thomas DiLorenzo. There is no basis to his claims. He is a fraud. The CRA loan portfolio built up by CRA banks and S&L's during the 1990's has performed better than industry averages. CRA lending effectively died in 2001 because Bushie stopped enforcing the law. It was the paper created thereafter by unregulated private brokers and weakly regulated bank affiliates that created the exotic, back-loaded, high-cost paper that eventually fell apart, all under the watchful -- but entirely inactive -- eye of laissez faire regulators who simply presumed -- despite repeated warnings to the contrary -- that the free market knew best and would sensibly come to regulate itself wherever necessary. What a joke...what a very expensive joke...

Old 12-06-2008, 05:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
So we are to be expected to believe that GWB has nothing to do with "it?" Jesus Christ. He's only been our pResident for the past eight years. Get a clue.
You sound v. young. Put down your comic books and your video games. Read up on history from the Great Depression until today and you will see that its not one evil dastardly man who created this mess that has made your life so awful.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:45 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I was around. I seem to recall we didn't have two wars going on. Nor were we a nation that tortured and did extraordinary renditions.

we didnt have 2 wars going on and carter still screwed the country up. make one wonder how bad it would have gotten if a war would have been going on.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:49 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then you should have been around when carter was in office and unemployment and the inflation was even higher than it is these days.
Just for the record, unemployment was 7.5% when Carter took office and 7.5% when he left. It was lower during nearly every month of his Presidency, reaching a low of 5.6% in May of 1979. Unemployment was 4.2% when Bush took office. It has been higher than that on every day since...

Old 12-06-2008, 05:50 PM

37 posts, read 94,482 times
Default A collective effort of fools.

All politicians should be required to attend a "home economics" class with an emphasis on balancing a checkbook.

If you listen carefully, all the politicians in Washington want us Americans to start spending again. It has not dawned on them that the average American is beyond broke. It has not entered any of the political discussions that the government needs to have spending restraint. Both the personal and government debt load is so high that we can not responsibly borrow more.

I am a conservative American. I am disgusted with the Republican party. It has become "lukewarm".

I think the system has "melted" down because both political parties are so much alike that intelligent debate about our "financial realities" do not occur.

To think that Obama (or any other politician) has the "answer" is ridiculous. I have not heard one politician propose a "rational" idea to get us out of this mess.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavetoSay View Post
You sound v. young. Put down your comic books and your video games. Read up on history from the Great Depression until today and you will see that its not one evil dastardly man who created this mess that has made your life so awful.
I'm 49. Projection much?

Give me an answer to my last post to you.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:04 PM

[quote=Pronghorn;6453468]All politicians should be required to attend a "home economics" class with an emphasis on balancing a checkbook.

If you listen carefully, all the politicians in Washington want us Americans to start spending again. It has not dawned on them that the average American is beyond broke. It has not entered any of the political discussions that the government needs to have spending restraint. Both the personal and government debt load is so high that we can not responsibly borrow more.

I am a conservative American. I am disgusted with the Republican party. It has become "lukewarm".

I think the system has "melted" down because both political parties are so much alike that intelligent debate about our "financial realities" do not occur.

To think that Obama (or any other politician) has the "answer" is ridiculous. I have not heard one politician propose a "rational" idea to get us out of this mess.[quote]

Aha, and I can sure tell you who did NOT get us into this mess. People like me. People who are totally AGAINST republican ideals in this modern day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies