Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times

Advertisements

Cmon now. You know the CIA and the leading bannks are all in on it. Why the Hell would they turn off all that easy money rolling in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 09:47 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How many years have we been fighting, and supporting with our tax dollars, this elusive “war on drugs?” Yet, illicit drug trafficking remains a lucrative multi-billion dollar enterprise.

I believe there are too many people in high positions in the government and in corporate boardrooms in the U.S. and Mexico who profit from illicit drugs, to ever eradicate this scourge on our society.

Furthermore, our porous borders and inept border security facilitate the drug industry. As long as our government lacks the tenacity to secure our borders, we will never rid ourselves of the bane.

Moreover, while some in the Mexican government may sincerely endeavor to end the drug trade, it is still one of the major sources of revenue in that country. Not to mention, the rampant corruption so pervasive at every level of the Mexican government.
It was almost 3 decades ago that Ronald Reagan declared the "War on Drugs" and 8 years post 9-11 the border remains unsecured and the criminals just keep on coming. While there is enough blame to go around in the government of both countries, the Mexican government is the clear winner in this travesty.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Mexico is a feudal state where the Law applies only to the people that can afford it. The rest are left to a brutal anarchy infested with corruption and gangs. In much of Mexico, and a surprising amount of the US, drugs are the economy. In fact illegal drugs suppliers have been heroes of the poor for centuries in many Scot/Irish/American folk ballads about bootleggers and the whiskey still under the tree. The current druggies have just pushed different, and more damaging, chemicals into the inner city and ring road suburbs.

AONE has part of the answer with his suggestion to legalize, produce and tax. The combination will drive all the profit, except possibly enough to treat the addicts, from the system and destroy the trade. The other part of the solution is to revitalize the whole economy so there are wage paying jobs available instead of drug smuggling profits. These, if used in combination, will drastically reduce the drug problem.

Curing Mexico’s problems will require a major cultural, economic and political revolution that will eliminate feudal privilege, provide real jobs and hope to the city and country and a government where the peasants actually have a say in who makes the rules.

I do not see this happening anytime soon because these would disrupt a very lucrative trade and hereditary political and social privilege in both countries

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Hey, here's an idea, instead of blaming everybody else how about this idea.

STOP USING FG DRUGS!

And I'm talking about you folks in those middle class white suburbs!

Office of National Drug Control Policy - Minorities & Drugs: Facts & Figures

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Well it coukd be wrose if we gave up IMO. Just look at columbia and now mexico.People delude themselves that it can't happejm here but it can and in severalo city there are parts that no one will go0 into0 because of the drug problems.ts like a pleague once its gets a tight hold on a society.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Wow. There is some serious denial going on.

Porous borders, gangs, the "big fish", Mexico, etc all contribute to the current state of affairs regarding illicit drug trafficking, but we are ignoring the underlying cause of all the problems: the American demand for drugs. Mexico is not the only country that's contributing to the problem. We, as a society, need to "clean up" our own act before we tell others to clean up theirs.

Face it: as long as there is a demand, there will be a supply. It's a business that preys on people who have no coping skills. Drug addiction cuts across all layers of society regardless of color, ethnicity, education, financial and economic status.

As it currently stands, the so called "War on Drugs" is an exercise in futility. The illegality of the business fuels the violence. Remember reading about the violence during the Prohibition era? Same concept, just amplified.

I think that schools should teach a "Life Skills" class every day of the week from K-12. The class can cover everything from manners, to budgeting, to recognizing addictive thinking and dysfunctional family/relationship dynamics, to critical thinking and problem solving. The intent would be to raise well balanced children as too many parents either do not parent properly or have few coping skills themselves. You might see some positive results in 50 years. I'm not kidding.

Legalization would mitigate the violence, but it wouldn't address the underlying problem either. Everyday I go to work, I have to deal with people who seek prescription drugs. I also see heroin, cocaine, and meth addicts. They all have a this in common: addictive thinking and no coping skills. It has become one heck of a mental health problem, but the way it is treated is a joke. The multitude of enablers doesn't help matters either.

The problem is a complicated one. Pointing fingers at everything and everybody else while refusing to look at ourselves is not going to get us anywhere.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
This what you get with banning drugs,this is what you get when you ban alot of things.You create a underground where profit rules,so much profit to be made that those that care only about maintaining their profit will stop at nothing to keep it....So we got many Columbian drug lords,now the epicenter of trade has shifted to Mexico.

Warning very graphic video on link

23 seconds of the Mexican drug war - Los Angeles Times

These people are desensitized humans,if you can call them human.They will do whatever it takes to continue that cash flow,as long as this farce of a war on drugs continues this will continue.It happened in the 20's and 30's with alchohol prohibition,it happens now with drug prohibition.You think you are saving lives by banning something?,think again.Mexico in this case is so corrupt the drug lords bankroll the police and military and anybody.....anybody that attempts to stand up to them is eliminated.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 PM

164 posts, read 240,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Arrests can't win nation's drug war

America's Drug War Policy Response: "But we can sure have fun while trying!"

Old 12-09-2008, 07:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Wow. There is some serious denial going on.

Porous borders, gangs, the "big fish", Mexico, etc all contribute to the current state of affairs regarding illicit drug trafficking, but we are ignoring the underlying cause of all the problems: the American demand for drugs. Mexico is not the only country that's contributing to the problem. We, as a society, need to "clean up" our own act before we tell others to clean up theirs.

Face it: as long as there is a demand, there will be a supply. It's a business that preys on people who have no coping skills. Drug addiction cuts across all layers of society regardless of color, ethnicity, education, financial and economic status.

As it currently stands, the so called "War on Drugs" is an exercise in futility. The illegality of the business fuels the violence. Remember reading about the violence during the Prohibition era? Same concept, just amplified.

I think that schools should teach a "Life Skills" class every day of the week from K-12. The class can cover everything from manners, to budgeting, to recognizing addictive thinking and dysfunctional family/relationship dynamics, to critical thinking and problem solving. The intent would be to raise well balanced children as too many parents either do not parent properly or have few coping skills themselves. You might see some positive results in 50 years. I'm not kidding.

Legalization would mitigate the violence, but it wouldn't address the underlying problem either. Everyday I go to work, I have to deal with people who seek prescription drugs. I also see heroin, cocaine, and meth addicts. They all have a this in common: addictive thinking and no coping skills. It has become one heck of a mental health problem, but the way it is treated is a joke. The multitude of enablers doesn't help matters either.

The problem is a complicated one. Pointing fingers at everything and everybody else while refusing to look at ourselves is not going to get us anywhere.
I don’t think it’s a matter of denial or finger-pointing. The opinions expressed simply underscore the complexity of this problem. There is definitely enough blame to go around between the users/abusers, drug traffickers, and the government both here, in Mexico, Colombia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Asia, Africa, etc. Few countries do not have drug cartels involved in some aspect of the manufacture and distribution of drugs to supply the insatiable appetite of the US.

However, before people can become addicted to drugs, they must first have access to them. That does not absolve them of personal accountability, it is simply a fact. If there were no drugs entering this country, and there were no homegrown suppliers, there would be no addicts. With the exception of those addicted in utero, no one enters this world craving drugs.

I agree; we all make the decision whether we will or will not use drugs, and as long as there is a demand, there will also be an ample supply. Unfortunately, as you opined, some people lack adequate coping skills. A constant state of hopelessness and helplessness can be an overwhelming impetus for many. While I do not justify drug abuse under any circumstances, I can clearly understand how and why some may fall prey to prescription and illicit drugs. Many are simply lost souls.

One thing is certain; this isn’t a chicken and egg conundrum. We know what came first.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t think it’s a matter of denial or finger-pointing. The opinions expressed simply underscore the complexity of this problem. There is definitely enough blame to go around between the users/abusers, drug traffickers, and the government both here, in Mexico, Colombia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Asia, Africa, etc. Few countries do not have drug cartels involved in some aspect of the manufacture and distribution of drugs to supply the insatiable appetite of the US.

However, before people can become addicted to drugs, they must first have access to them. That does not absolve them of personal accountability, it is simply a fact. If there were no drugs entering this country, and there were no homegrown suppliers, there would be no addicts. With the exception of those addicted in utero, no one enters this world craving drugs.

I agree; we all make the decision whether we will or will not use drugs, and as long as there is a demand, there will also be an ample supply. Unfortunately, as you opined, some people lack adequate coping skills. A constant state of hopelessness and helplessness can be an overwhelming impetus for many. While I do not justify drug abuse under any circumstances, I can clearly understand how and why some may fall prey to prescription and illicit drugs. Many are simply lost souls.

One thing is certain; this isn’t a chicken and egg conundrum. We know what came first.
Another fabulous post! It is my honor to rep you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies