Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 AM

415 posts, read 449,601 times

Advertisements

I was gonna write a lengthy response, but never-mind. I should call my parents thanking them that I wasn't born and raised in the U.S. I would probably run around 24/7, too, thinking that I'm being harassed 24/7. There's a reason naturalized U.S. citizen are the highest earning group. We don't run around screaming racism. But I can't even blame the people. That's what they teach the children. So you got messed up at an early age. Can't blame you then. I feel sorry for everybody who thinks that way.

I've never experienced it, but even if there was a "white privilege".
Who is really to blame here? If somebody wants to tell me that they go throughout life only encountering white people that give them the "white privilege" , then you're wrong. If you say there is such a thing, you are also saying that everybody is involved in it. So blame YOU, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Look my profile and my picture. There is a significant proportion of Black people that never have grown up in the ghetto.

My counselor in college told me to play up my plight of growing up in a downtrodden neighborhood in a dysfunctional family. That would be lying. I grew up in Riyadh and suburban Los Angeles. I was not the first in my family (on both sides) to go to college.

Yes, I'm half White...but I'm also half Ivorian. There are MANY like me.19% of Blacks 25 and older have a college degree. About 50% of African immigrants in America hold a bachelors or higher (though they comprise about .5% to 1% of the total US population). While not a huge proportion, 25% of Black families earn more than 75,000 a year or more.

The Black people I knew went to college, had trust funds, vacationed in Europe...pretty much that 25%.

The White people I knew also went to college, had trust funds, vacationed in Europe.

As for jobs, we all had the same crappy cold stone job in high school for a few months after SATs and IB testing. We didn't have time to hold down a full job since we had to study.

I'm just tired of always saying that there are middle and upper middle class Blacks out there...we do exist.

It's a shame because the perception seeps in when hiring. The most back handed compliments I receive always occur after I get hired. I have a VERY stereotypical North American non accent accent. My former employer stated that I speak well, for a Black person. I've had several variations of this. My favorite was, "You're half White, right? I could tell in your voice." or the shocked look on their face when they actually meet me in person after a phone interview and reading my resume (my name is VERY plain). Normally I get the job because on paper and on the phone I sound and have the resume of a average person. I shatter their perception, it helps that I'm fit and have a decent smile and I'm young (not gorgeous, but handsome enough to lay down the charm).

So for me, it's always worked out because I sound "White" to them and people do not want a lawsuit on their hands. Here's a good clip for what I'm talking about.

YouTube - Racism in America: Episode One
I kind of like your reply - but here we go again.. the good old Black vs. White again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
I was gonna write a lengthy response, but never-mind. I should call my parents thanking them that I wasn't born and raised in the U.S. I would probably run around 24/7, too, thinking that I'm being harassed 24/7. There's a reason naturalized U.S. citizen are the highest earning group. We don't run around screaming racism. But I can't even blame the people. That's what they teach the children. So you got messed up at an early age. Can't blame you then. I feel sorry for everybody who thinks that way.

Who is really to blame here? If somebody wants to tell me that they go throughout life only encountering white people that give them the "white privilege" , then you're wrong. If you say there is such a thing, you are also saying that everybody is involved in it. So blame YOU, too.

I kind of like your reply - but here we go again.. the good old Black vs. White again.
I fully understand that I am a product of White privilege. I mean, there were housing covenants in my grandparents neighborhood in 1950s San Diego, CA. Back in OH, Blacks were not allowed to buy tracts of land in Kettering and Beaver Creek (where the rest of my American side resides). Selling that land enabled my father to pay nothing for college.

I don't think its right that a few of the kids in my high school that were poor came from share croppers who never acquired as much wealth as my family (not that we have a whole) and never had the same opportunities.

I do get a lot of back handed compliments. It's pretty ridiculous in this day in age. When it's with friends, of course I don't care. But when it's a boss, I think that it's not right. It doesn't settle well with me.

I did not write about when Blacks give me back handed compliments. My favorite is "It's okay, you don't understand since you're not REALLY Black." (half my family is in Cote d'Ivoire...where my mom is from). I did not have many Black friends growing up (not too many in the neighborhood), but in high school (since I went to a different school district) I had a few. The first time I met one of my friends he said "Cut the act, you're Black". Later he apologized when he realized that I am who I am.

Generally it's more a defense mechanism with Blacks to act that way. With Whites, generally, it's not racist (per se) but it's more a function of ignorance.

I want to reiterate this is not to say ALL Blacks and ALL Whites act this way. Of course not.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
You'll still be better off than the black guy next to you unless the employer is heavily pushing for better diversity numbers. And diversity numbers in of itself is another wonderful topic of discussion...
............................. ..............

Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post

The thing is, most people don't run around screaming racism.

The person you quoted was addressing a post inferring that growing up having Black parents meant you had a leg up on hustling and chasing women.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
I'm a hispanic college educated male so I guess I'm screwed
!No es verdad!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
You asked why would I post this: To make a point that even today the more eduction you have the less likely you will be unemployed. (Though I still know many college educated men and women who have been unemployed for a long time, but their chances are still better)

If you have a Masters degree your chances to find a job is even better. If you are not white your unemployment chances are higher even with a college degree.

Also, since college degrees (and especially graduate degrees) have become a lot more common over day the last 30 years, I would expect college educated workers (male and female) to have a lower unemployment rate than the overall rate.

Also I would expect college grads over 50 to have an unemployment rate higher than their under-50 peers.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:02 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,208 times
What self respecting college grad would ever admit to not having a good paying job on any census?

Statistics are funny things, is it mean, medium, mode?

Or made.... as in... up?

Admitting that the system is failing even our most educated is not something America wants to hear.

In Rose land, if you do not bloom appropriately and on time, you are a defective rose.

Regardless of as much as it may stink, it is seldom the fault of the horse$hit that they dropped on you.

...and never but never, the Gardner that actually dumped it on you.

Maybe when all is said and done, that may go a long way toward explaining why people love a very special weed over a defective wanna be rose.

Last edited by oldtimer2; 04-28-2011 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
Just resurrected this thread because I was looking for some stats and this is the first thing that popped up in google. I'm still amazed at the pervasive ignorance that was rampant in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies