Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State's Politicians Are The Most Corrupt
New York 10 6.99%
Alabama 1 0.70%
Alaska 12 8.39%
New Jersey 23 16.08%
Arkansas 1 0.70%
Arizona 0 0%
California 1 0.70%
Illinois 45 31.47%
Indiana 1 0.70%
Connecticut 0 0%
Hawaii 1 0.70%
Florida 4 2.80%
Louisiana 21 14.69%
Massachusetts 4 2.80%
Michigan 2 1.40%
Mississippi 1 0.70%
Nevada 1 0.70%
New Mexico 0 0%
Ohio 0 0%
Texas 6 4.20%
Virginia 0 0%
Tennessee 1 0.70%
North Carolina 2 1.40%
Pennsylvania 1 0.70%
Other, please post. 4 2.80%
Not Sure 1 0.70%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:28 PM

16,935 posts, read 12,486,775 times

Advertisements

NJ is amazing in the depth of the corruption. From top to bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,308,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
NJ is amazing in the depth of the corruption. From top to bottom.
I agree with you. It starts with Gov. Jon Corzine, his appointed attorney general and goes down to the local community level. The sad thing is they all protect each other. A New Jersey politician has to **** his or her fellow political crooks off, in order to be charged with a crime.

The sad thing is they get voted back in regardless.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:25 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,219,208 times
Default I voted NJ, here's why:

Well, the fact that NJ governors appoint the state attorney general is no scam. It's that way in a lot of states, and at the federal level too. Now, WHO gets appointed in NJ is often a scam. Three words for getting involved in politics or doing business in NJ: pay to play. For example, many people outside NJ think that Jim McGreevey resigned simply because he's gay. No, he resigned because of extortion scandals, pay to play, and his controversial appointment of his boyfriend (who had zero qualifications) as homeland security advisor, and subsequent sexual harassment lawsuit.

It's awfully dirty at the local level, too. I live in Hudson County, corruption capital of the U.S. Law schools throughout the country teach courses titled "Hudson County Politics." It's no joke. The Hudson political machine is epitomized by former JC mayor Frank Hague, who famously responded to a challenge with, "I am the Law!" Current JC politicians have trouble holding their alcohol. They get drunk, naked and arrested (Mayor Healy). They get drunk and urinate off a balcony onto a crowd of people below (Councilman Lipski). These problems just sort of disappear.

It's shocking how many developers are tied to city council members in so many ways, how much those developers receive in PILOT abatements, etc. They don't care what the law is (they are the law, remember), they have no fear of the law, and they know there are no consequences. You'd think these guys would be embarrassed to show their faces in public after they're ratted out, but they have zero shame. Zero. It's sick.

Oh, and Senator Bob Menendez (D-NJ) is a product of the Hudson County Democratic Machine. If anyone wants to research Hudson County politics, read the Jersey Journal Political Insider online, or the GETNJ - Hudson Politics forums. It would all make great comedy if it weren't true.

One state that should be on this list (but isn't) is Rhode Island.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:21 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,308,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Well, the fact that NJ governors appoint the state attorney general is no scam. It's that way in a lot of states, and at the federal level too. Now, WHO gets appointed in NJ is often a scam. Three words for getting involved in politics or doing business in NJ: pay to play. For example, many people outside NJ think that Jim McGreevey resigned simply because he's gay. No, he resigned because of extortion scandals, pay to play, and his controversial appointment of his boyfriend (who had zero qualifications) as homeland security advisor, and subsequent sexual harassment lawsuit.

It's awfully dirty at the local level, too. I live in Hudson County, corruption capital of the U.S. Law schools throughout the country teach courses titled "Hudson County Politics." It's no joke. The Hudson political machine is epitomized by former JC mayor Frank Hague, who famously responded to a challenge with, "I am the Law!" Current JC politicians have trouble holding their alcohol. They get drunk, naked and arrested (Mayor Healy). They get drunk and urinate off a balcony onto a crowd of people below (Councilman Lipski). These problems just sort of disappear.

It's shocking how many developers are tied to city council members in so many ways, how much those developers receive in PILOT abatements, etc. They don't care what the law is (they are the law, remember), they have no fear of the law, and they know there are no consequences. You'd think these guys would be embarrassed to show their faces in public after they're ratted out, but they have zero shame. Zero. It's sick.

Oh, and Senator Bob Menendez (D-NJ) is a product of the Hudson County Democratic Machine. If anyone wants to research Hudson County politics, read the Jersey Journal Political Insider online, or the GETNJ - Hudson Politics forums. It would all make great comedy if it weren't true.

One state that should be on this list (but isn't) is Rhode Island.
I heard about Hudson County, NJ political corruption over this past weekend. I've had dealings with Senator Robert Menedez myself. He took over Gov. Jon Corzine's senate position and initially got appointed by Corzine. But then the people of New Jersey voted Menendez into the position for a full term.

All the complaining that the people of New Jersey do about their corrupt politicians, they vote them in office.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:40 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,324,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
New Jersey, not even a contest.

Thats true but are they more corrupt than S.Florida bunch?

S.Florida ofcourse isnt a state its more like its own country lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
I heard about Hudson County, NJ political corruption over this past weekend. I've had dealings with Senator Robert Menedez myself. He took over Gov. Jon Corzine's senate position and initially got appointed by Corzine. But then the people of New Jersey voted Menendez into the position for a full term.

All the complaining that the people of New Jersey do about their corrupt politicians, they vote them in office.

Ahhh good ole Robert Menendez.

As a Cuban American myself I allways ask other Cubans " Is there a SINGLE Cuban politician be it Rep/Dem who isnt a corrupt ,useless pig"?

I have yet to have anyone give me a single name .

Old 12-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
New Jersey's Attorney General is appointed by the governor. Most states elect their Attorney General. I'm pretty sure, NJ Governor Jon Corzine also appointed the chief justice in the New Jersey Supreme Court. The governor also appoints county D.A.s

That is a lot of control. The governor has a free hand to do what he or she wants.

I wonder if the states that have the highest rates of corruption also have their governor holding so much power?

Our gvnr here is a breath of fresh air an honest hard working man who has by himself no thanks to state do nothing attorney General done lots to clean up voting problems,etc.

Sadly he is dealing with what I call the Cuban political Costa Nostra which are S.Florida countless Mayors and countless parasites in other political positions.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,219,208 times
Quote:
You misunderestimate the Machine's power to pursuade. If you're into documentaries, check out "Street Fight" (2005). It's not Hudson County, but the 2002 Newark mayoral election is a case study in slimey machine campaigning.

On a positive note, it's nice to see New Jersey leading in a city-data poll for once!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,484,174 times
New Jersey has had a reputation for outstandingly corrupt state government for a long time. But if you travel up the Hudson River, what you find in Albany, NY these days may be a match for them!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,824,294 times
TX has a very weak governorship, and look at the last two governors they got! That's a holdover from Reconstruction when they didn't want the governor to have a lot of power. They are still very corrupt in TX. If you ever want to see what "lift all those governments regulations" will get you, go to TX!

The public viewing area is referred to (not without cause) as "the owner's boxes". Years back many people took "Bo" Pilgrim (Pilgrim's Pride Chicken) to task for being so gauche as to step through the rail to hand checks to legislators. His fellow "owners" had to point out that the correct procedure was to call the legislator over to the rail, and hand him the check IN AN ENVELOPE.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies