Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy15161 View Post
I was waiting for someone to say in 2012 the end of the Mayan calender......
Have they found that 13th crystal skull yet?

Very clever posts on here - especially liked the moderator and the matrix. That exit site had some pretty wild theories - had never heard of a space cloud before.

If it happens in my lifetime - I just hope it is quick and my family is nearby. Would rather go in the first bang or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
This is symptomatic of why/how we will end:

Informative Movie About Society's Treatment of Animals With EARTHLINGS

We have no respect for the planet and for other creatures. We torture them in factory farms and laboratories, pollute the environment with their waste (e coli, anybody?), genetically alter them and other living entities on the planet (without having any idea how this will effect the ecosystem, long-term), etc. It is our arrogant and often brutal tampering with the balance of nature, overall, that will result in our death. And yes, it will probably be death by a super-virus. Or geological catastrophe, as the result of the earth's depletion of its "resources"--i.e., its lifeblood. This film, for me, encapsulates the foundational impoverishment of our spirit, in our disconnection from the sanctity of life itself. And maybe that, more than anything, is what will do us in.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:50 AM

659 posts, read 1,084,751 times
Actually, I'm pretty sure how it will all end; anyone who's taken a high school or college level zoology course should know. If we manage to retain our large numbers while avoiding nuclear holocaust, famine, and other things that have been named in this thread, we will simply die out because of competition.

Did you know that 99% percent of all life that has been on Earth is now extinct? That means that all of what we see today only comprises 1% of the life that has been on Earth; 1%!! Animals (us included, somewhat) are constantly adapting to change to their environment; birds migrate south to avoid cold, gators and crocks have thick skin to retain water, etc., etc. These adaptions are sometimes caused by mutations of the genes during genetic coding. Now these adaptations can sometimes be good or bad. A mutation in fish can cause it to swim faster than the others, therefore making the fish more compatible to it's habitat and vice versa. That is the process of natural selection and ultimately evolution. Through continuous adaptations and mutations, animals over time adapt to their environment better and those that adapt the best pass on their genes.

Now in the case of humans, our evolution and adapting to our natural environment has somewhat become stagnated over the past thousand or so years. Especially in recent times we have medicines that take care of our colds, jackets that protect us from weather, and shoes that keep our feet protected and unharmed. Most people think medicines are good - don't get me wrong they are (to a certain extent) - but what we are doing when we take medicines and get shots is making our immune system weaker and more dependent on the shots and medicines, therefore requiring us to keep the trend going in order not to get sick. A cold is good once in a while; so is the flu. It's good for us, but when we think of our children and the people of the future, it's not for them. We live in a world where everything is constantly evolving to meet the competition and to survive. The only think mankind has going for it is the imagination; that's it. It's because we imagine that we are able to think abstractly and think in the terms of what if. It is a powerful tool, but will be trumped in the end.

All it will take is a strand of bacteria that is resilient against the modern medicine of that time (whether it be tomorrow, a century from now or a millennium from now). That's all it will take for us to reach extinction. When an animal can no longer adapt effectively to it's environment and it's predators and such are better adapted to said environment, the species will become extinct. It will give breed to a new specie (or a series of specie) that is better suited to the environment. Take the dinosaurs for example. An outside force (asteroid) collided with the planet (I believe in the South American region or the ocean above S.A.) and cast a thick black smoke that some scientist believe lasted for several months. Plants died from lack of sunlight, which in turned starved the animals that ate the plants, which in turn starved the animals that ate the animals that ate plants, which in turn starved the dinosaurs that ate the animals that ate the animals that ate the plants (whew, a doozie). Only creatures that were small and adapted to going for long periods without food where able to survive. The death of dinos gave way to the birth of what we know as crocodiles. They emerged because they were better suited to their environment than their predecessors.

The same will inevitably happen with humans. An outside force may start the extinction process that will give way to a new breed that is better suited to the environment to survive; there are no if's, just when's. When will it happen is the question being asked. It may be centuries, millions of years, or billions of years. No one knows the exact date, but many know that it will happen.

Last edited by kb09; 01-11-2009 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-11-2009, 01:52 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,343 times
I personally think that the most likely way will be a fatal man-made virus being released (accidentally or not) and spreading across the globe.

By the way, if you want to contemplate some neat ways to destroy the entire planet Earth - visit the following website: How to destroy the Earth @ Things Of Interest

It's a group of physicists who spend their spare time submitting different theoretical ways that planet Earth could be destroyed (intentionally by design or via some feasible natural phenomena)...

If you like sci-fi (like Star Trek) - you will probably like this site...

Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I personally think we will be annihilated via nuclear war.

There are currently at least 11 nations that possess nuclear weapons:

Nuclear Weapons: Who Has What at a Glance | Arms Control Association

Nixon had B-52s on the way to the Sinai during the 1973 Arab/Israeli War to prevented the Soviets from entering the war on behalf of the Arab states. Nuclear war is not inconceivable. While not everyone agrees on the interpretation of this Bible verse. A lot of people believe it describes nuclear war. I could see it being a description of nuclear war or some other similar phenomenon, like a gamma ray burst.

"This is the plague with which the LORD will strike all the nations that fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot while they are still standing on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths. On that day men will be stricken by the LORD with great panic. Each man will seize the hand of another, and they will attack each other." Zechariah 14:1-13

BibleGateway.com: Search for a Bible passage in over 35 languages and 50 versions.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
The magnetic pole reversing might tilt the planet on its axis and do us a world of hurt. That and the Yellowstone Calderra eruption and a possible meteor or comet strike.
Alien invasion, maybe. Or maybe God just says, "Hey guys, you've a good run, but its time to wrap this up."

Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
I don't think the earth will end unless a meteor hits us, i feel like a bug, war or a natural disaster might change things and the people left will start over.
One thing for sure things will change at some point in time and if it is the end it just won't matter.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:54 AM

659 posts, read 1,084,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't think the earth will end unless a meteor hits us, i feel like a bug, war or a natural disaster might change things and the people left will start over.
One thing for sure things will change at some point in time and if it is the end it just won't matter.
No, the Earth will 'end' when the sun turns into a Red Giant in about 5 billion years. But all life will end on Earth in about a billion years due to the increasing temperature of the sun as it reaches it's Red Giant phase. But we'll probably be gone long before that due to stupidity, rapture, or some other unforeseen event taking place.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
With an empty stomach and a severe look of starvation in each of the last two's eyes. Then there can be only one..... The cycle will be complete and mans will finally do himself in and he end it with envy, lust, greed, gluttony, wrath, pride and sloth.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy15161 View Post
I was waiting for someone to say in 2012 the end of the Mayan calender......
I'm highly ambivilent about 2012, but would point this out... its is in reference to 'the end of the word AS WE KNOW IT'. This makes a whole lot of difference.

Eventually there will be a "2012" but it won't destroy the species. It will be the great divide on who has the bese will to survie, the best imagination and the best genes. Remember "as we know it".

With a vastly reduced population who have proven they are survivors, jsut imagine the difference there would be in human society. Likely not as technical and with much smaller units, possibly even tribal. But in a sense it would be a new beginning from which the human species might be able to survive its own greed and ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies