Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times

Advertisements

Obama has one thing going for him with regard to getting a chance to be a good president. He won the election fair and square, not appointed by the SCOTUS. This Blago thing will slide by him like Dick Cheney on ice skates. Rahm took care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:11 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
The Blago case is bad for Blago, though Obama's involvement is minimal.

That said, Obama will be a great President if he abandons many (if not most) of his campaign promises. Thus far, he has been doing a good job and has already switched with regards to many foolish ideas including: withdrawal from Iraq in 16 months, raising taxes on the 'rich' and windfall profits tax. Hopefully, he will not pass the Employee Free Choice Act (sometimes referred to as Card Check) or any sort of measure that gives Government more control over Healthcare (which did not work in Hawaii, Massachusetts and Vermont). It's less clear where he stands on offshore drilling and nuclear energy. His interview on Meet the Press was a joke; he couldn't give a straight answer, though he sounded great in the process.

It's time for substance!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Obama has one thing going for him with regard to getting a chance to be a good president. He won the election fair and square, not appointed by the SCOTUS. This Blago thing will slide by him like Dick Cheney on ice skates. Rahm took care of it.
GWB won the Florida vote without human intervention. Did you miss that? It was only when opinion about whether a chad was hanging or not, that the SCOTUS came into the play.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The Blago case is bad for Blago, though Obama's involvement is minimal.

That said, Obama will be a great President if he abandons many (if not most) of his campaign promises. Thus far, he has been doing a good job and has already switched with regards to many foolish ideas including: withdrawal from Iraq in 16 months, raising taxes on the 'rich' and windfall profits tax. Hopefully, he will not pass the Employee Free Choice Act (sometimes referred to as Card Check) or any sort of measure that gives Government more control over Healthcare (which did not work in Hawaii, Massachusetts and Vermont). It's less clear where he stands on offshore drilling and nuclear energy. His interview on Meet the Press was a joke; he couldn't give a straight answer, though he sounded great in the process.

It's time for substance!
So, let's see, in the OP of this post, I discussed creditability. According to your remarks above, creditability is not important. So, therefore, all future political races should be decided on who can lie the best? Or maybe know the least?

Interesting... you want integrity in the White House, but then maybe you don't. Hmmm?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:50 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I understand the concept of 'fiscally conservative, socially liberal,' but agree with a friend who told me that it is hard to truly balance both. If you're a true social liberal, then you'll be willing (if not eager) to support social programs that cost money. This makes it hard to be a true fiscal conservative, both on the tax side and (more importantly, IMO) the spending side.
I consider social programs to be economic liberalism. When I say I'm "socially liberal", I'm talking about things like:
- Being pro-same-sex-marriage
- Repealing laws against prostitution
- Legalizing drugs
- Repealing obscenity laws regarding adult entertainment
Et cetera.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
When GWB took office the internet and blogs were not so prevalent as they are now. The NYT was, and in some places still is, considered the news source of record. Things have changed. Over the course of several years I have noticed that electronic media (broadcast/cable news) was at least 2 days behind the internet, mostly bloggers, at getting news out to those interested. Media has mostly caught up now. Mostly.

News is now available constantly and instantly and there are plenty of interested parties ready to jump on any news break coming out. Regardless of your take on Bush, he has suffered through the trend above. Any new president will suffer equally simply because of the instant and constant dissemination of information. Welcome to the new world. There will be clouds.

To the poster who says 'the wing nuts on this forum are definitely a minority in the real world', that is a matter of perspective. My perspective is that you are certainly not the expert on wing nuts or the real world. Only your world. Many people just prefer to keep their thoughts to themselves.

And that is my take on my world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies