Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

I am afraid that in trying to satisfy the spreading of wealth by making easy credit available like heard in the Fannie Mae and Mac hearings we may have doomed the economy for a long time. The congresss has a habit of no oversite when they want certain people to benefit. This time they have put everybody that acts responsibily at risk.The former financial officers said that the data shows we are in for another round of foreclosures on the risky loans and then a third as unemployment gets worse. There is no way that the governmentt can hanlde restructureing those loans because they are not capable of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 05:07 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Well, you just lost all credibility whatever with me, whatever subject you decide to pursue.
Well, you never had any with me. Why do you think I tried to show you fact based information rather than listening to your emotionally based rant.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times
I strongly believe that Obama- if not personally then via his inner circle- were key in the gathering of information that brought Blagojevich down this week.

What a perfect sting situation- our President Elect vacates his US Senate Seat and a greedy Governor wants to benefit from this vacancy. Of course the PE's team would have heard of unseemly behavior and most likely would have reported this. And the best way to prove this would be for part of team PE to play along.

It is already clear that Obama and Blago. did not have a great or even good relationship. Throughout the campaign Obama distanced himself from the Governor of his state- he did not invite him to key events and I don't recall ever seeing Blago on the campaign trail with Obama or on his behalf.

Further evidence is the blasphemous outburst that was released this week- in which Blago. ranted that all Obama had to offer him was gratitude with regard to filling his open Senate seat.

I'm sure if there were any complicity we would not have heard a recording peppered with vulgarities concerning Barack Obama.

And with regard to the article stating that Gov. Blago. congratulated Obama on his win the day after the election- let's use some common sense here. How many hundreds, even thousands of congratulatory calls were placed to Barack Obama on November 5? I'm sure every Governor (except Palin, most likely), a majority of US Senators, as well as countless other politicos reached out to offer their well wishes and congratulations.

And I hardly think that a corrupt Governor who did not enjoy a positive relationship withour President Elect was at the top of the list to have his call picked up or returned.

And it also would not surprise me to learn that Obama did not directly participate in any discussions with Blago concerning his open Senate seat. I would imagine Emanuel or one of his other trusted aides would have had this discussion on his behalf.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I strongly believe that Obama- if not personally then via his inner circle- were key in the gathering of information that brought Blagojevich down this week.

What a perfect sting situation- our President Elect vacates his US Senate Seat and a greedy Governor wants to benefit from this vacancy. Of course the PE's team would have heard of unseemly behavior and most likely would have reported this. And the best way to prove this would be for part of team PE to play along.

It is already clear that Obama and Blago. did not have a great or even good relationship. Throughout the campaign Obama distanced himself from the Governor of his state- he did not invite him to key events and I don't recall ever seeing Blago on the campaign trail with Obama or on his behalf.

Further evidence is the blasphemous outburst that was released this week- in which Blago. ranted that all Obama had to offer him was gratitude with regard to filling his open Senate seat.

I'm sure if there were any complicity we would not have heard a recording peppered with vulgarities concerning Barack Obama.

And with regard to the article stating that Gov. Blago. congratulated Obama on his win the day after the election- let's use some common sense here. How many hundreds, even thousands of congratulatory calls were placed to Barack Obama on November 5? I'm sure every Governor (except Palin, most likely), a majority of US Senators, as well as countless other politicos reached out to offer their well wishes and congratulations.

And I hardly think that a corrupt Governor who did not enjoy a positive relationship withour President Elect was at the top of the list to have his call picked up or returned.

And it also would not surprise me to learn that Obama did not directly participate in any discussions with Blago concerning his open Senate seat. I would imagine Emanuel or one of his other trusted aides would have had this discussion on his behalf.
Excellent discussion. Intelligent observations, considered opinions. I wish everyone would be so civil and so thoughtful. Your post is honored.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
And it's also being reported that someone in the Obama camp reported the actions of the corrupt Governor.
I could see that, since he'd demand favors and create problems.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
You guys are looking for a needle in a haystack! Obama is "clean". He HAS both good morals and good moral judgement. It may not be possible to exist in politics without a little "greasing of the wheels" as they say, but please remember that according to Blagovovitch, Obama was willing to offer nothing but gratitude for the appointment of the person he favored to replace him in the senate. How much "cleaner" do you expect the guy to be, under these circumstances? He did NOTHING to cause anyone to suspect that he may have a hidden "collaboration" with Blago!
That says it all in a nut shell , good post.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM

I, the OP, never suggested that BHO is anything but clean about the Blago issue; but and this is a big but, what if the facts are that his staff isn't clean? How many times in our history have we "fired" the boss because of what his people did? If BHO or his staff turn out to be dirty, are you going to trust him for the next four years or will he follow Nixon to the helicopter?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
it has been evident that obama did not have a good- or even a decent relationship with governor blago. He did not invite him to the event when he announced his candidacy almost two years ago.

And it's also being reported that someone in the obama camp reported the actions of the corrupt governor.
lol!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
So the whole issue of signing statements being used by the executive as a legislative tool didn't bother you? The constitutionality of domestic surveillance, warrantless wire taps, the use of torture were all A-ok and not a cause for concern?

If Obama were tied to the latest scandal in Illinois, it would be well after the inauguration at which point I suspect impeachment proceedings would take place. So whats this great threat to our Constitution that you are so concerned with?
An amazing amount of blind political bias in this post. Truly, truly amazing.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
An amazing amount of blind political bias in this post. Truly, truly amazing.
You are right, I'm guilty as charged. I am hopelessly biased in favor of the truth. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies