Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:32 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,107 times

Advertisements

I have thought about this for a long time. I am a conservative, fiscally and socially. However, many things do annoy me about some CEO's of some large corporations who make hundreds of millions of dollars. While their companies suffer, or their employees get **** poor benefits or salaries, these guys make out like bandits. The only other countries where this happens is in poor, developing nations where a few rich people take advantage of all the poor.

The ratio for pay is something like 60-1 when back in the day it used to be much more reasonable, 20-1. And that 60-1 is just the average, I am sure it is much higher in certain corporations.

I have no problem with people generating excessive wealth, especially guys like Bill Gates who ran good companies where their employees were rewarded for their hard work. But then you have the big three, who are all falling under. And so many more.

I'm not one to say someone "deserves" or doesn't deserve the money they make, but there is a such thing as excessive. And yes, I believe corporate profits should drop, and become a little less uneven. 20-1 sounds perfectly fine to me.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:19 AM

105 posts, read 438,174 times
I look at this way. Why should one person who is in charge of a large company, get 2-4 times their annual pay? If they would take a hugh cut in the perks of being a CEO, and give back to the workers, who are the ones that make the product, they may find that they will work just a little harder.

In this day and age, where companies are asking the goverment to bail them out so that they can keep on going, doesn't it make sense to stop paying all the hugh salaries, benfits, perks?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I have thought about this for a long time. I am a conservative, fiscally and socially. However, many things do annoy me about some CEO's of some large corporations who make hundreds of millions of dollars. While their companies suffer, or their employees get **** poor benefits or salaries, these guys make out like bandits. The only other countries where this happens is in poor, developing nations where a few rich people take advantage of all the poor.

The ratio for pay is something like 60-1 when back in the day it used to be much more reasonable, 20-1. And that 60-1 is just the average, I am sure it is much higher in certain corporations.

I have no problem with people generating excessive wealth, especially guys like Bill Gates who ran good companies where their employees were rewarded for their hard work. But then you have the big three, who are all falling under. And so many more.

I'm not one to say someone "deserves" or doesn't deserve the money they make, but there is a such thing as excessive. And yes, I believe corporate profits should drop, and become a little less uneven. 20-1 sounds perfectly fine to me.
When the economy was good waaaaay back in the 70's the CEOs made 30-40% more than the average worker, now it's more like 400-500%.

This is why the bail out won't work.....it's simply giving our tax money to the extremely wealthy...70 BILLION alone went to the BONUSES of CEOs who CAUSED the problem.......never said these people were stupid! They're laughing and thumbing their noses at us all the way to to their Swiss bank account.

The bail out money COULD have come from eliminating "off-shore" tax havens. All TRILLION of it.....but do you think the wealthy would've ALLOWED that???

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 12-11-2008 at 08:32 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 08:23 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
When the economy was good waaaaay back in the 70's the CEOs made 30-40% more than the average worker, now it's more like 400-500%.

This is why the bail out won't work.....it's simply giving our tax money to the extremely wealthy...70 BILLION alone went to the BONUSES of CEOs who CAUSED the problem.......never said these people were stupid! They're laughing and thumbing their noses at us all the way to to their Swis bank account.

The bail out money COULD have come from eliminating "off-shore" tax havens. All TRILLION of it.....but do you think the wealthy would've ALLOWED that???

Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times
We all make too much money. We need to "give back" to the rest of the world.

We should all take an across the board 50% cut in pay. Then CEO's, doctors and lawyers should make say, 10% more than the average of labor. Athletes, and performers don't need all that money for the type of work they do. They should make an average of national labor costs as well.

We could completely turn this country around!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
It seems to me the Boards that are approving these income levels are not holding their stockholders interest at heart. Why they permit massive payments when performance is pathetic seems they are responsible. The question comes down can I get better performance for less money? if they can then these CEO's need to be termed.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post

We should all take an across the board 50% cut in pay. Then CEO's, doctors and lawyers should make say, 10% more than the average of labor. Athletes, and performers don't need all that money for the type of work they do. They should make an average of national labor costs as well.

50% cut? I don't think so. I make $37K, that's before taxes by the way. So I should cut that back to $17K? Hell no, I can barely BARELY pay my bills & rent as it is.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post

While there are CEO's that seem to be robbing everyone nobody wants to talk about how many of them are actually doing this. People see a few names on tv and assume all or most CEO's do this, I doubt it's true.

If I worked for one of those companies I would find a new job.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:41 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post

No, you need to compare the apples to apples. The common worker in the US might make a bit more than those in Europe, Canada or Japan, but the CEOs in those counties pay their CEOs 20 - 40 times LESS than WE DO - and now the taxpayer continues to do so with bailouts, even though the CEOs showed that they are FAR WORSE than CEOs in Europe, Canada and Japan.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
It seems to me the Boards that are approving these income levels are not holding their stockholders interest at heart. Why they permit massive payments when performance is pathetic seems they are responsible. The question comes down can I get better performance for less money? if they can then these CEO's need to be termed.
Look at the names on these boards... All (most) board members are CEO's of other major companies. They give all that stuff away in wages and benefits because the guy getting all of these gifts is going to be sitting on my companies board when they are determining my salary.
I'll take car of you, you take care of me...!
If boards were comprised of share holders, there would be no huge salary's, no huge bonus, no huge buy out after you fail....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies