Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,542 times

Advertisements

Deadpool,

I agree the true message of Christmas is Christ's birth and the gift that was sent to us. Many of these iconic images indeed have pagan origins. No doubt.

My big problem is that our freedom of expression as Christians is being limited. People are going around afraid to even say the word "Christ" or "Christmas" for fear of backlash from the political correctness police. I can't go around and identify the religion of every single person that I encounter. So, yes, I may say Merry Christmas to a non-Christian. But so what? Is he/she a lesser person for having heard that?

Am I discriminated against in Tel Aviv when someone wishes me a Happy Hannukah? Of course not. Let's not fall to the lowest common denominator in our speech.

10-15 years ago people would freely say what was on their mind about Christmas. Now they are running scared. Our free speech is being inhibited, and if you can't see that, then you are blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:12 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Your stats are funny to say the least. You totally left out Protestants who celebrate Christmas. That would bring the % up to 60%. The survey also admits that many Churches didn't report their numbers....most of them being Black Protestant churches. Last I checked, they believe in Christ as well.

The vast majority of Long Island and America IS Christian. So, there is nothing wrong with using the word Christmas or allowing a town to celebrate the majority faith.

We really are the only country in the world that is this politically correct about its predominant faith. Europe (which tends to be even more secular than the US in the Northern parts) celebrates Christmas with open arms...and rightfully so. Latin America is the same way. Hell, many parts of Africa too.

We are one of the only countries in the world that tries to stamp out Christian holidays in this manner.
Even if you ramp it up to 60%, that's still 40% Non-Christian. Non reporting does not = Christian.

No one is trying to stamp out Christian holidays. I could give a crap if you want to celebrate them - but Government shouldn't be involved. They are trying to include EVERYONE in town celebrations during the holiday season, when many different faiths celebrate different holidays. So why do you think YOUR RELIGION deserves to be the one the town celebrates?

The fact that people are throwing a hissy fit because a town celebration would be called a "Holiday" celebration instead of a "Christmas" celebration is ridiculous. If you want a Christmas celebration, have your church throw one. No one is stopping that from happening. No one is NOT celebrating Christmas or telling you you can't. Look at the giant Christmas tree in NYC.

It's false outrage at it's lamest, perpetuated by Bill'O and his ratings grabbing "War on Christmas" BS. To me the title should be,

Finally, a town recognizes that people don't want religion shoved down their throats at every turn.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 AM

Newtoli,

Non-reporting Black Protestant churches does indeed equal Christian.

I'm sorry but if a majority of tax payers would like Christmas decorations in their town...decorations they pay for...then what is wrong with that?

Using your logic...Israeli's would have to pull down their decorations in Tel Aviv...and Italians would need to pull down their Christmas decorations in their town Piazzas.

This is ridiculous.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:25 AM

14 posts, read 17,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Even if you ramp it up to 60%, that's still 40% Non-Christian. Non reporting does not = Christian.

No one is trying to stamp out Christian holidays. I could give a crap if you want to celebrate them - but Government shouldn't be involved. They are trying to include EVERYONE in town celebrations during the holiday season, when many different faiths celebrate different holidays. So why do you think YOUR RELIGION deserves to be the one the town celebrates?

The fact that people are throwing a hissy fit because a town celebration would be called a "Holiday" celebration instead of a "Christmas" celebration is ridiculous. If you want a Christmas celebration, have your church throw one. No one is stopping that from happening. No one is NOT celebrating Christmas or telling you you can't. Look at the giant Christmas tree in NYC.
I'm going to write a response to you that assumes you are reasonabley intelligent. Let's hope my assumption is a good one.

The holiday Christmas takes on 2 forms - the religious holiday celebrating the coming of the savior for Christians. This is why Christians are supposed to attend church. This is what the Nativity represents.

The second form of Christmas is the secular form. This is the santa claus and reindeer form. This is the frosty the snowman Christmas. This is the Christmas tree Christmas. This is the Christmas you and I get off from work. This is the Christmas that is a federal holiday. We all celebrate Christmas (the birth of the philosopher Christ) as Americans. It doesn't make us Christians. It just means our government recognizes the birth of Christ as an important day in history. If you are American, this is the Christmas you celebrate.

A Christmas tree does not represent the Christian holiday of Christmas, it represents the SECULAR federal holiday of Christmas. My friends are Jewish and put up a Christmas tree. They does NOT put of a nativity, because that's a CHRISTIAN symbol.

For a town to not celebrate Christmas because they want to include other religions phony. They were not celebrating the Christian Christmas in the first place! They were celebrating the federal holiday and secular Christmas. As an American moreso than as a Christian I am offended by calling a Christmas party a holiday party.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Newtoli,

Non-reporting Black Protestant churches does indeed equal Christian.

I'm sorry but if a majority of tax payers would like Christmas decorations in their town...decorations they pay for...then what is wrong with that?

Using your logic...Israeli's would have to pull down their decorations in Tel Aviv...and Italians would need to pull down their Christmas decorations in their town Piazzas.

This is ridiculous.
How do you know that the "non-reporting" section of the statistics are BLACK PROTESTANT churches? Really... c'mon.

So who is funding the decorations in Tel Aviv and Italy? The Government or the temples/churches?

Regardless - I live in the United States, where religion does not mix with Government.

Have your church put up the decorations. Problem solved. I can think of a billion better things to spend my tax dollars on.

What if the majority of taxpayers decided on Jewish decorations? or Hindu? Everyone would be in a freaking tiff.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Christmas HA! View Post
I'm going to write a response to you that assumes you are reasonabley intelligent. Let's hope my assumption is a good one.

The holiday Christmas takes on 2 forms - the religious holiday celebrating the coming of the savior for Christians. This is why Christians are supposed to attend church. This is what the Nativity represents.

The second form of Christmas is the secular form. This is the santa claus and reindeer form. This is the frosty the snowman Christmas. This is the Christmas tree Christmas. This is the Christmas you and I get off from work. This is the Christmas that is a federal holiday. We all celebrate Christmas (the birth of the philosopher Christ) as Americans. It doesn't make us Christians. It just means our government recognizes the birth of Christ as an important day in history. If you are American, this is the Christmas you celebrate.

A Christmas tree does not represent the Christian holiday of Christmas, it represents the SECULAR federal holiday of Christmas. My friends are Jewish and put up a Christmas tree. They does NOT put of a nativity, because that's a CHRISTIAN symbol.

For a town to not celebrate Christmas because they want to include other religions phony. They were not celebrating the Christian Christmas in the first place! They were celebrating the federal holiday and secular Christmas. As an American moreso than as a Christian I am offended by calling a Christmas party a holiday party.
It was a fireworks display. How was that a "Christmas" party in the first place?

Again - I have no issue with anyone celebrating Christmas. I don't think that it should be funded by the town.

I don't think there should be a Hanukkah party either.
I don't think there should be a Ramadan party either.

If you want these faith specific celebrations - have your local Temple, church, mosque fund them.

Including everyone into a "holiday" celebration hurts no one and includes everyone. Why are people so agitated that's it's not ME ME ME and focusing on their specific religion? How is it a "War on Christmas" when everyone is being included?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM

14 posts, read 17,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It was a fireworks display. How was that a "Christmas" party in the first place?

Again - I have no issue with anyone celebrating Christmas. I don't think that it should be funded by the town.

I don't think there should be a Hanukkah party either.
I don't think there should be a Ramadan party either.

If you want these faith specific celebrations - have your local Temple, church, mosque fund them.
AGAIN... read my post. Christmas is a religious holiday for some people, but it doesn't have to be and usually isn't. It's an AMERICAN holiday celebrating the birth of a great philosopher in the secular view. No religion is required to celebrate the birth of a great philosopher. Should ban all government sponsored MLK day parties also because he was Christian? Can't you understand the difference between a religious holiday and a secular holiday, and how they are NOT mutually exclusive?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
AGAIN... read my post. Christmas is a religious holiday for some people, but it doesn't have to be and usually isn't. It's an AMERICAN holiday celebrating the birth of a great philosopher in the secular view. No religion is required to celebrate the birth of a great philosopher. Should ban all government sponsored MLK day parties also because he was Christian? Can't you understand the difference between a religious holiday and a secular holiday, and how they are NOT mutually exclusive?
I fully understand - I celebrate Christmas as a tradition. I was raised Catholic but am Atheist.

My point is - what's your problem with the town celebrating ALL the winter holidays in one shot? Why does it have to be exclusive to Christmas?

In the town I grew up with, the Knights of Columbus provided and paid for Christmas decorations to be put up. The temple paid for Hanukkah decorations. No problem with that... but the kicking and screaming that there is a "War on Christmas" is crazy. Let respective faiths have their own celebrations - the Government should not be funding them.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 AM

Take a look at Pew's comprehensive US survey on religious affliation. The survey was over 35,000 people.

U.S. Religion Map and Religious Populations - U.S. Religious Landscape Study - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

In NY State 74% of the population is Christian. In the US, that jumps to 79%.

Given those proportions, I think as tax payers they are entitled to have Christmas decorations in town if they want them.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:40 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Quote:
As an American moreso than as a Christian I am offended by calling a Christmas party a holiday party.
I think your last comment is going just a TAD bit overboard. When a company for example decides to have a "holiday" party, particularly in New York, it is simply an acknowledgement of the many holidays, tied to an individuals religion typically, that are being celebrated. Of course many only practice the religion of "mall shopping" and worship at Neiman Marcus...but that is for another thread . The general consensus view of holidays that are celebrated are driven from one's religous faith, not from the federally mandated secular holiday. You could easily argue that a "holiday" party is more American, meaning inclusive of all faiths, than a christmas party. I understand the history lesson, but I think you need to acknowledge that most americans do not see it that way and celebrate accordingly.

As for the OP's opening comments, Grucci can spend their money and choose to protest however they see fit. Something that is also VERY american.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies