Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is indoctrinating a child from the time of birth a form of brainwashing?
Yes 64 57.14%
No 41 36.61%
Unsure 7 6.25%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,410,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Is indoctrinating a child from the time of birth a form of brainwashing?
It depends on the religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 06:39 AM

18 posts, read 24,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I did a thread on this in religion and philosophy and I got some abuse by the Christians because I choose to raise my daughter with a basic knowledge of all religions but following none. I was accused of being a bad mother and teaching my daughter to be immoral.

My idea of indoctrination is telling your child there is no other way than what I'm telling you and you have no choice of your own. To even consider another option will bring down dire consequences.

Brainwashing is kind of different because technically it implies wiping away all previous ideas. There is an element though of wiping out all contrary ideas that the individual might come into contact with. So in a way an indoctrinated child is brainwashed every time they try to assimilate an idea that does not agree with what their parent/guardian/teacher is trying to indoctrinate them with.
Hi All of You,
Lady Ice, I'm a Muslim man, and I'm in a Muslim country! I want to ask you: Do you believe that you have enought informations and knowledge about all religions in a correct understanding to give to your daugter the correct basics about them? without influence of you beliefs?

and by the way! don't you believe that to not guide your kid and teatching him to not follow any rules, don't you believe that this is an other kind of brainwashing?? by teatching yor kid to not follow any rules is also a brainwashing! it's like telling him to not listen to those religions! create your own religion (principles). and the fact to tell him not to listen to other rteligions is the same thing that the belivers do! the Muslim tell his son don't listen to Christianity (a brainwashing), and the Christian tell his son don't listen to Islam (a brainwashing too), and the people loke you will tell to their children don't listen to Islam and Christianity (an other kind of brainwashing).
So, I believe that we have a responsability twords our kids, by teatching them to believe in God in the true way! not to not believe in God at all!
and this is not a brainwashing, this is a good education that make our kids good people in the society! and that's the point! and making our kids good and usefull to their society must not be called brainwashing!
thanks for your interrest!

Old 12-13-2008, 06:50 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,764,843 times
What I really want to know is how this thread managed to go on for six pages without being moved to the religion forum.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,908,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
So you believe there is no God(s). You believe there is no Satan(s).
No, I don't believe in anything supernatural. I don't believe in gods, demons, devils, angels, evil spirits, ghosts, souls, astrology, telekinesis, pink unicorns, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the immaculate conception...NONE of that worthless craptastic imaginary stuff. The only time it crosses my mind is in threads like this. Day to day living, I don't think about it at all. I also don't think about a lot of other things that don't exist...does that mean you think those things are religions too? Plainly asinine thinking.

Quote:
It sounds to me like you're part of a religion that is simply the polar opposite of Christianity, Judaism and Islam.
It's not a religion. I don't have membership in a Church of Atheism, I don't go to services for atheists, I don't think about there not being a god, I don't perform rituals to celebrate my non-belief, there is no dogma connected with atheism. What part of "it's not a religion" is so hard for you to understand? By your logic, I guess I'm part of the religion of Not Believing In Santa, too, and many other similar "religions".

Quote:
And you repeatedly saying that Atheism is NOT a religion does not automatically mean it's not a religion.
You repeatedly saying that there's a god does not mean it's true. Of course, your mindset is typical for your type.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:50 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,217,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What? This thread isn't even about Prop. 8. It was simply asking a question that appeared to be unbiased, from what I could see.

You're starting to sound paranoid, Chris.
The Christian-bashing on this board kicked up several notches after the passage of Prop. 8.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,470,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The Christian-bashing on this board kicked up several notches after the passage of Prop. 8.
Well Prop 8 is christian based hatred and bigotry, they have earned their increased bashing, as they are flaming hypocrites.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:58 AM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Quote:
No. The bashing is for the phony christians, i.e., the bigots, the liars, the haters of the mouth-foaming, knuckle-dragging, fear-mongering evango-fascist type of idiot who actually believe the garbage spewed from the mouths of Phelps, Hagee, Parsley, Robertson, Dobson, Falwell[d], et al, of the American Taliban, the crazy lunatics who would love to establish a fascist theocracy in this nation, as Islamists have done in Iran - different holy book, same lust for power over people.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:00 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,117,432 times
Most of them are, but not all.
Especially the Pentecostal movment of the late 70's, now there was some serious brain washing and still is today, Sheeeesh! What a bunch of freaks.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:00 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
And I think it's calmed down quite a bit since then too.

Emotions were running high. It was in the news every day.

It was a big deal for a lot of people. (And still is, for many.)

Old 12-13-2008, 11:02 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,615,867 times
Noone really knows if there is a deity or not. Belief is a choice an individual makes based upon his/her life experiences and background. Thankfully in this country the CHOICE to believe or not is still allowed. How much longer that will be the case is anyone's guess. Nonbelievers and atheists seem to have a particular hatred of Christianity. The scale of vitriol continues to rise, not sure what the outcome, especially as the young are being heavily indoctrinated in the government school system. Why an ideology such as islam is tolerated and given status, while Christianity is shunned is beyond a rational person's ken, and an irony unexplained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies