Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheist can be just as moral a god fearing christians
True 166 86.91%
False 20 10.47%
Unsure 5 2.62%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:44 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times

Advertisements

On some of the religious topics, I often see people make the assumption that atheist or agnostics (or anyone not christian) cant possibly be moral.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Morality is subjective.

I have known self-advertised "christians" who think that it is ok to lie to, steal from, and even kill people who did not believe as they did. Any time a business advertises itself as "christian" I keep going to the next one. If they feel the need to be Pharisees, then I know which religion they truly believe in - Mammon.

Atheists can have a moral code where they realize that it is self-injurious to lie, cheat, steal, or kill. They can have a simple common sense approach to life, where harming others means ultimately harming themselves. Like some Christians use their religion, however, some atheists use their lack of religion as an excuse for their behavior - "I'm not going to Hell no matter what I do!" applies to both the immoral atheist as to the immoral Christian. The former because he doesn't believe in Hell, and the latter because he thinks it is for anyone else who doesn't believe as he.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,128 times
I don't see why morality would be solely connected with belief in a higher power. Isn't that like presuming that the only reason people behave morally is out of fear of damnation to hell. If morality were so closely linked to fear of punishment, wouldn't our judicial system be working better?

I believe that people are moral because they want to be. There is a self-satisfaction in doing the right thing. I think I started to learn that by being of service to others (volunteering). That's why I think its so important for children and teens to do community service either through school or family. It leads to better empathy as well as pride.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
I think morality is not tied to religion, although most religions give it at least superficial lip service.
As an agnostic, I try to live my life with a very simple goal --- to do the kindest thing. That's it, and it's worked pretty well. Do I always follow it? No, but not because I think I can't go to hell so BRING ON THE SIN! But because I'm human. Just like the ultra religous. I just don't pretend my transgressions are meaningless because I accept Jesus as my savior. Instead, I apologize to whomever I did wrong, and I try to not repeat that behavior again.

Although, if I flipped you off in traffic I am sorry but I can't promise that won't happen again

Old 12-11-2008, 07:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Can Christians be moral, when they equate morality with obedience, and never challenge the authority of those whom they obey?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Since they believe that you answer only to mankind they have nothing to live upto but their own personal rules. Few can agree to the rules of others. Its a whatever you think is right world and it doesn't have to be good for anyone but yourself thing.Bart Simpson morals.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 12,636 times
IMO they could and they are.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Of course they can be moral. Unfortunately, that's not what it takes to get to heaven.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Can Christians be moral, when they equate morality with obedience, and never challenge the authority of those whom they obey?
Even if that were true, how is that immoral?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Since they believe that you answer only to mankind they have nothing to live upto but their own personal rules. Few can agree to the rules of others. Its a whatever you think is right world and it doesn't have to be good for anyone but yourself thing.Bart Simpson morals.
In the contrary, they recognize that if they screw up this time, they dont get to try again. This is the only chance they get, so they have to make this their heaven on earth, by treating other people fairtly and decently and honestly, so society will reciprocate, and they look at other people getting along, and feel OK with their conscience. (Christians don't need one of those, because they've got a pass.) Atheists can't do whatever they want to whomever they want, and then just accept the lord as their savior and start over again in some new heaven.

They can't just nuke some continent, and then say to God, "What do you want me to say, I'm sorry? OK,, I'm Sorry. Jeez!" And then everything is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies